US Politics: Dark Days at Parler

Fragile Bird

So with several large corporations saying they will no longer donate to the campaigns of any of the republicans who objected to the electoral vote count, conservative Reddit is all the sudden wondering why large corporations are allowed to donate to campaigns in the first place. These fucking people are just the dumbest.

But mostly, people were angry that “RINOs” — Republicans in name only, a pejorative term for Republicans deemed insufficiently conservative or loyal to Trump — were attempting to give credit to antifa for something they were proud to have done.

“WE TOOK THE FUCKING CAPITOL WITHOUT A SHOT. And very minor damage was sustained in the process. NO APOLOGIES. WE’LL FUCKING DO IT AGAIN,” reads one comment on a popular post on TheDonald. One very popular commenter told his fellow agitators to “own it” and stop getting “cold feet” about what they had done and blaming it on antifa:

“They deserve every broken window they got. And I laughed at the photos of them cowering in fear under their chairs. The government should fear the people, never the other way around. I support every action of every patriot against this illegal occupation. We need to support every move our side makes.”

The online far right is angry, exultant, and ready for more
“It’s like a hall of mirrors”: The online far right’s disordered response to the storming of the Capitol.

https://www.vox.com/2021/1/9/22220716/antifa-capitol-storming-far-right-trump-biden-election-stop-the-steal-hawley-cruz

31 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What is MeWe? Anyone ever heard of it? A Trumpy fraternity brother, who is generally someone I don't see much of on Facebook anymore because I, and some others, have been arguing with him for years and he's muted most of us, just popped up on FB with an invite to join him on this...

Here ya go.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/mewe-anti-vaxxers-conspiracy-theorists-822746/amp/

12 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

So with several large corporations saying they will no longer donate to the campaigns of any of the republicans who objected to the electoral vote count, conservative Reddit is all the sudden wondering why large corporations are allowed to donate to campaigns in the first place. These fucking people are just the dumbest.

Oh no, they'd better not bar corporate money from politics and break up the big tech monopolies. If they did that, I as a leftist would feel so owned. Gosh golly gee whiz that would be terrible.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I'd switch Arnie for Manchin anytime... Apparently Joe Manchin is giving an  interview with Jake Tapper right now. He doesn't think Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley should resign. (And of course he won't support $2000 stimulus checks.)

Manchin is a real problem. I've seen moderate libs say it's no big deal to appease him, but we're legit going to have to rely on people like Murkowski for that 50th vote. I know she's said she might leave the republican party, but she's also said no way she'll become a dem. 

In the case of stimulus, I think Murkowski or potentially any Republican who pushed for the 2000 bucks will likely put this over. I can't remember, but I think I was listening to Sam Seder saying that Dems have to push the stimulus to the senate without anything else attached to it--the Dems have literally zero room to give the moderate wing of the senate (whoever the hell that might be) an excuse to vote no. In my opinion, Manchin is a guy who just has to be ignored and never approached to make deals. He's less reliable than some Republicans, and he is, in fact, a Republican pretending to be a Democrat...and I have no idea what benefit that is to him.

4 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Manchin is a real problem. I've seen moderate libs say it's no big deal to appease him, but we're legit going to have to rely on people like Murkowski for that 50th vote. I know she's said she might leave the republican party, but she's also said no way she'll become a dem. 

In the case of stimulus, I think Murkowski or potentially any Republican who pushed for the 2000 bucks will likely put this over. I can't remember, but I think I was listening to Sam Seder saying that Dems have to push the stimulus to the senate without anything else attached to it--the Dems have literally zero room to give the moderate wing of the senate (whoever the hell that might be) an excuse to vote no. In my opinion, Manchin is a guy who just has to be ignored and never approached to make deals. He's less reliable than some Republicans, and he is, in fact, a Republican pretending to be a Democrat...and I have no idea what benefit that is to him.

I mean, I don't entirely disagree with this sentiment, but it really depends on what it means to appease Manchin. If it involves throwing an absurd amount of cash at West Virginia, I'm 100% cool with that, if it means actively moderating an already moderated Biden agenda.

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I love this whole ANTIFA did it narrative that conservatives are trying to spin. It's even funnier when you see if happening in real time as you can see from these Kevin Sorbo tweets

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Adam Carolla  is slaying them on Parler. Comedy gold. Thirteen re-poots!!!

I wouldn't put too much faith into Carolla and his comedy. He is a staunch Trumpian libertarian. He believes the "intellectual darkweb" (which I place so much blame on for what's happening now) are the height of intellectual thought. 

15 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

The online far right is angry, exultant, and ready for more
“It’s like a hall of mirrors”: The online far right’s disordered response to the storming of the Capitol.

https://www.vox.com/2021/1/9/22220716/antifa-capitol-storming-far-right-trump-biden-election-stop-the-steal-hawley-cruz

I just started listening to this podcast called QAnon Anonymous. They've been doing deep dives into QAnon followers, and I've listened to the 2 hour look at what happened this last week, but they're suggesting a lot of division is growing in Trump's ranks after the Capitol insurrection. Some, of course, are more militantly cemented into their identities as some kind of half assed warriors. They discussed how many of these "revolutionaries" (not their words, just me being careful to not add any legitimacy to these terms) got a bit of pepper spray and started crying as they have no true idea what persecution or pain really feels like. They played a video of a QAnon type's online cast where he is beginning to confront "is this all bullshit?" It left me wondering--how can these people come back from this? Admitting you were wrong means admitting you were incredibly naïve (at best), and that you essentially believed in a conspiracy that is less logical than those who believe the government covers up alien UFO contact.

Either way, despite the darkness of all this, I kind of have a small hope that any further events will be nothing like what happened on Wed. We'll see.  

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

https://twitter.com/LindsayAWatts/status/1348332737992794118/photo/1

Are there any advantages for PR to not become a state?

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Let's not forget that substantial number of Puerto Ricans would like independence. So there are at least three conflicting objectives: independence, statehood, and let's keep things as they are because we can control and graft like nobody's biz with the rethugs and corporations at our backs.

~~~~~~~~~~

Why did that Capitol Police kill himself? Dishonor? Shame? Terror? ??????

Zorral's answer is why there are advantages.  Some folks in PR very much want separate sovereignty.  Some folks very much want to be a state.  And some like the status quo, though I'm less cynical than you are - I think some of the reason people like it is because either change is a pretty drastic difference.  An independent PR is probably (honestly) still a client-state of the US, but maybe that is better because at least it could start making its own policies?  Maybe it's worse because right now it benefits from a lot of "back office" support from the US and what a mess with all the cross migration back and forth?  Statehood also has benefits and burdens - PR currently does have some amount of sovereignty that the separate states don't have and its residents are US citizens.  However, they are at the mercy of federal policies in a lot of ways and have no voice.  Full disclosure my Puerto Rican friends are all very pro-statehood, so I have a bias from listening to them.  What one should really do is listen to the folks on the island...

49 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Tbh, I’m perfectly happy to fight people’s family members on Facebook. And since I use it for a lot of work stuff that means I spend a not zero amount of time calling clients’ relatives fascists.

5 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I mean, committee appointments, plus, you know, maybe he actually has some morals?  Here's the thing, the bigger the tent, the more voices you are going to have.  And there will be complexity.  You can blame it on suppression, racism, or whatever, but the Democrats' message has not resonated in enough states to get more than a bare majority.  And that's just facts right now.  So it is the job of the party to message better and expand the tent, and that probably means compromise is required.

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I think there’s a lot to be said to the benefits of peeling away some moderate Republicans and letting Joe Manchin preserve his standing with his loyal voters. Manchin is better than a hard “R” and you know West Virginia isn’t going to vote in a Romney or Murkowski to replace him.

Of course not. The Dems need to look for better states to flip (like here in Colorado--we aren't going back to any time soon it would seem to me). Romney and Murkowski might be pretty reliable in the mean time, I think. Romney enjoys a bit more cushion from criticism than Murkowski might, but these two are about the only two moderate Rs that Biden may be able to work with. 

5 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I mean, I don't entirely disagree with this sentiment, but it really depends on what it means to appease Manchin. If it involves throwing an absurd amount of cash at West Virginia, I'm 100% cool with that, if it means actively moderating an already moderated Biden agenda.

I love this whole ANTIFA did it narrative that conservatives are trying to spin. It's even funnier when you see if happening in real time as you can see from these Kevin Sorbo tweets

Jeez, that Kevin Sorbo stuff is 90s level Simpson's writing. 

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I mean, committee appointments, plus, you know, maybe he actually has some morals?  Here's the thing, the bigger the tent, the more voices you are going to have.  And there will be complexity.  You can blame it on suppression, racism, or whatever, but the Democrats' message has not resonated in enough states to get more than a bare majority.  And that's just facts right now.  So it is the job of the party to message better and expand the tent, and that probably means compromise is required.

Do you mean Manchin has morals? Nothing suggests that. His excuse for no 2000 dollar stimulus is because other things have to be focused on first. Like...the Senate can only deal with a single issue at a time? Of course compromise is required. Maybe compromise with the left side of the party instead of the Republicans in and out of the party would be my suggestion (when you're coalition building) or you'll end up with reliable folk like the disgusting Manchin. 

10 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I got down to "Pence-Ryan emails" and had to catch my breath. This may be the most delusional thing I've ever read. And it was only published two days ago.

I guess he didn't get the "unity" memo. I hope someone in congress sees this.

14 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Well that’s not crazypants at all! And I continue to be blown away that a wild-eyed Objectivist like Paul fucking Ryan is now considered to be a squishy centrist.

2 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Jeez, that Kevin Sorbo stuff is 90s level Simpson's writing. 

Do you mean Manchin has morals? Nothing suggests that. His excuse for no 2000 dollar stimulus is because other things have to be focused on first. Like...the Senate can only deal with a single issue at a time? Of course compromise is required. Maybe compromise with the left side of the party instead of the Republicans in and out of the party would be my suggestion (when you're coalition building) or you'll end up with reliable folk like the disgusting Manchin. 

I will point you, mildly, to my suggestion up-thread, that I actually don’t personally agree with $2,000 indiscriminate stimulus, even if “phased out” at certain income levels.  I will reiterate that I think a much better use of the money would be to extend/expand unemployment benefits and/or support particularly affected industries (I think the latter is harder, so we are clear).  The letter of this particular economic time is “K” and we should be helping those on the lower leg to the extent we can.  I also think that we urgently need Covid policy on the national level and vaccine distribution.  I would without hesitation prioritize these two items over $2,000 indiscriminate stimulus.  And, if we were in congress/senate together, calling me “disgusting” or “evil” isn’t the way to get my vote.  Seems like there’s maybe a fair bit of common ground?

17 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

This is amazing.

16 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I wouldn't put too much faith into Carolla and his comedy. He is a staunch Trumpian libertarian. He believes the "intellectual darkweb" (which I place so much blame on for what's happening now) are the height of intellectual thought. 

He's also hilariously un-funny.

So this guy is pretty amazing. The story behind this is that he was basically tasked with holding the hall behind him. Which with 50 people coming up the stairs he had no way to do without causing massive bloodshed (and even that wasn't guaranteed). So he shoved one guy and told him (and the others) to come after him - and ran down the other way to where there were a lot more  tacops folks waiting. 

And the US Senate chambers were able to be secured. 

This guy deserves the medal of freedom. 

13 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I got down to "Pence-Ryan emails" and had to catch my breath. This may be the most delusional thing I've ever read. And it was only published two days ago.

I guess he didn't get the "unity" memo. I hope someone in congress sees this.

And it's not on some crazy pants Parler site either, but an official municipal website...

Archived