US Politics: Dark Days at Parler

Fragile Bird

11 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I will point you, mildly, to my suggestion up-thread, that I actually don’t personally agree with $2,000 indiscriminate stimulus, even if “phased out” at certain income levels.  I will reiterate that I think a much better use of the money would be to extend/expand unemployment benefits and/or support particularly affected industries (I think the latter is harder, so we are clear).  The letter of this particular economic time is “K” and we should be helping those on the lower leg to the extent we can.  I also think that we urgently need Covid policy on the national level and vaccine distribution.  I would without hesitation prioritize these two items over $2,000 indiscriminate stimulus.  And, if we were in congress/senate together, calling me “disgusting” or “evil” isn’t the way to get my vote.  Seems like there’s maybe a fair bit of common ground?

Ok, so what about all the people who are under employed just scrapping by? The people who are working part time because their hours have been cut but aren't able to collect unemployment? What about the people who feel that they are being left behind while those who they see as below them are being given handouts and preferential treatment? All you are doing here is creating a wedge issue, and universality is the best way to avoid such an outcome. It's been more or less proven that the most effective way to distribute aid is to just directly give it to those who need it because they know their needs better than we do, so why would we engage in something that is less efficient?

This delusion that if we just throw money at industry, somehow the market will solve our problems is the kind of neo-liberal bullshit that got us into this mess. We need direct aid and we need it 5 months ago.

That video of the black cop being pursued up the stairs by a mob of white guys that I mentioned in the last thread? The police have arrested the lead white guy, a 41-year old guy in Iowa.

eta: there are only stills in Kal’s post, but I think it was the same officer.

According to CNN, Colin Powell has left the Republican Party.

They have 215 votes for impeachment (need 217).

There is a rumour on twitter that Pelosi will delay passing it to the Senate in order so as not to endanger Biden's policies in his first 100 days.

In regards to Senator Manchin:

1. Because of him, Schumer is Majority Leader and controls what is placed on the floor in the first place. This means McConnell can't just stop a vote  as he would be happy to do for 2 years. Which in turn makes Hawley forced to vote for it, or admit that he was just talking shit all this time when saying he'd support the $2,000.

2. The proof is in the pudding, this is just Manchin talking and negotiating. Biden will probably have a much easier time making a deal with him than any Republican. I mean, would it be better to deal with Susan Collins?

17 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And it's not on some crazy pants Parler site either, but an official municipal website...

What makes you think that? It is the website of the Nye County Republican Party. That's bad enough, but it does not seem to be the website of the county government of Nye County or of any municipality within it to me. 

35 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I got down to "Pence-Ryan emails" and had to catch my breath. This may be the most delusional thing I've ever read. And it was only published two days ago.

I guess he didn't get the "unity" memo. I hope someone in congress sees this.

That's about how far I made it, too.   I also made the mistake of checking out some of the comments:stunned:

18 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

There is a rumour on twitter that Pelosi will delay passing it to the Senate in order so as not to endanger Biden's policies in his first 100 days.

It isnt just a rumor, Clyburn himself has explicitly said he thinks Pelosi will wait for a bit before passing the articles to the Senate (and he probably agrees with that, so I suspect thats what will actually happen).

@Simon SteeleSteele

100% agree on means-testing being a wedge issue.  Totally anecdotal but the number of my customers (many of whom are proud Dems) who have lamented that people made more collecting unemployment than they did while employed or that the stimulus checks were a handout to the rich is very high.  

And don't even get me started on my GOP customers.  

If you think you don't need a check you can always donate it to someone who does.  Additionally, the UI extensions and bonuses are great but are also at the mercy of the states to some degree.  NY has made it really easy for people to stay in the system once you're in it, according to a couple of friends.  But some states aren't.  The amount of direct aid that has been given out is shameful.  

47 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Do you mean Manchin has morals? Nothing suggests that. His excuse for no 2000 dollar stimulus is because other things have to be focused on first. Like...the Senate can only deal with a single issue at a time? Of course compromise is required. Maybe compromise with the left side of the party instead of the Republicans in and out of the party would be my suggestion (when you're coalition building) or you'll end up with reliable folk like the disgusting Manchin. 

That's not fair to Manchin at all. Throughout his career he's done as much as he could to improve the lives of people in West Virginia; beginning with trying to actually regulate the coal industry when he was governor. And while he's certainly conservative for a Democrat, he's more liberal than any elected Republicans these days; and his seat is West Virginia! If he wasn't there, we'd have another Shelley Capito in the seat.

As a senator, he's voted to preserve the ACA, he's voted to protect Planned Parenthood funding (even though he personally is pro-life), he voted against the Trump tax cuts, has opposed any cuts to Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security, and pushed a gun control plan. Plus he regularly votes with Democrats on all sorts of less-publicized issues (e.g. homelessness, opioids, veteran care, etc.). And of course he voted to convict Trump.

Be annoyed by him when he stymies progress, sure. But its real fucked up to call him 'disgusting.'

31 minutes ago, Ormond said:

What makes you think that? It is the website of the Nye County Republican Party. That's bad enough, but it does not seem to be the website of the county government of Nye County or of any municipality within it to me. 

Mea culpa. I misread. Though in my defense, the stupid therein is blinding...

27 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

That's about how far I made it, too.   I also made the mistake of checking out some of the comments:stunned:

Yup. It truly is a cult.

36 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

:lol::lol::lol:

38 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

According to CNN, Colin Powell has left the Republican Party. 

Yup.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2021/01/10/exp-gps-0110-powell-on-capitol-attack.cnn

Also interesting,

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/colin-powell-trump-resignation

What's interesting about this is what isn't there. They didn't spike the headline. They didn't really spike the article. It even includes this,

"The retired four-star general, who served under former President George W. Bush, called for Trump's resignation after the president repeated claims that the election was fraudulent at a "Stop the Steal" rally Wednesday just before a pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol as Congress was counting electoral votes."

I guess this writer didn't get the Antifa memo. Even "repeated claims" is relatively mild language for them. The comments section is predictably hilarious. But also very confused. 

3 hours ago, Fez said:

They used too. But they officially did not have a party platform in 2020, and basically every Republican who has discussed it in recent years has been opposed to it. They think it'll just give Democrats 2 more senators.

Which, maybe? But its not a sure thing like DC is. The two major parties there are affiliated with both the Democratic and Republican parties, and it would not be an easy sorting. The previous and current governors are both from the PNP; but the previous one affiliated as Republican and endorsed Trump last year and the current one affiliates with the Democrats.

Yeah, Porto Rico becoming a state might lead to the scariest thing in the world- a third party member of Congress.

15 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Mea culpa. I misread. Though in my defense, the stupid therein is blinding...

Yup. It truly is a cult.

And in the small portion of those comments I read, I was...maybe just a little, surprised to see people chiming in to support that insanity from not just the US but the UK and Switzerland.

2 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

And in the small portion of those comments I read, I was...maybe just a little, surprised to see people chiming in to support that insanity from not just the US but the UK and Switzerland.

Oh, I'm sure recent events have invigorated nazis and conspiracy types around the world.

It's a good thing Trump isn't on twitter anymore. I hope someone unplugged his TeeVee. For the children.

Just imagine the terrible, heinous, disgusting slander! To even suggest that the manliest man who ever manly'd; the great orange enormity with totally appropriately sized hands; would need a Fluffer?!?

Archived