US Politics: Dark Days at Parler

Fragile Bird

Okay, the crazies on my Facebook and the comments sections of various articles elsewhere have been saying for a while now there is -

'no way. period, that Biden will be the next president of the US.'  These people have been saying this for *months.*  Pretty much an absolute article of faith.  

As of January 6th, though, the last even quasi legal option to stop Biden from becoming POTUS came and went.  Yes, it was an insane, doomed effort. So, at this point, given the lack of legal options, sheer delusional insanity of the far right, and their fetish with violence, their next option would be....

...scouting out DMC's building for a snipers nest or something similar.  

About the 17th - I've been watching CNN or CNBC since Wednesday and pretty well everybody knows about the possibility that action is going to start on the 17th. If the Secret Service, the FBI, the military, the police, everybody and his brother, doesn't know about it, I don't know what to say.

Did you know that 32 different police forces are present in Washington? That's one of the bits of info I heard these last few days.

5 hours ago, Myshkin said:

So with several large corporations saying they will no longer donate to the campaigns of any of the republicans who objected to the electoral vote count, conservative Reddit is all the sudden wondering why large corporations are allowed to donate to campaigns in the first place. These fucking people are just the dumbest.

It's also fun to watch them argue the principles of net neutrality without realizing that's what they are doing.

22 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

So it seems Parler can’t find anyone who wants to host them, and also they’ve been dropped by the law firm that was representing them.

So, because of the pandemic, law school “on campus” recruiting was moved from over the summer (when it has been for the past 10 years) to RIGHT NOW (virtually).  Most schools are having their job fairs (known fondly as “OCI” or “EIW”) starting Monday.  Competition for top law students is quite fierce, and weirdly enough, students do care about the reputation of the firms they select.  While many (most?) law students understand (or should understand) that BigLaw represents big corporations, big banks, and, most lucratively private equity, there are some bridges that are too far, and some representations that are too toxic.....  

I am confident that we would not take this on, and we’ll do a lot of things for a buck.

17 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Not to be a downer, but cannot overstate how disappointing it is to read shit like this that necessarily starts out with all the god bullshit.   I get it, I really do, but doesn't make it any better.  I get that that's the fucking job, and that who ever is performing that role and function is going to be doing things I personally find to be distasteful.  So let this not be a personal condemnation of the Speaker, but a general lament about the shit expected of our leaders.  It's gross 

Not my intention to drag anyone for supporting Biden. I want Biden.  I would have preferred Bernie. 

I also wanted Hillary. You may or may not remember a post of mine from 10,000 threads ago where I mentioned taking people to task for making a false equivalence between Clinton and Trump back in 2016. For not being able to hold their nose and pull the lever for her because "They're all the same anyway." The result? 4 million additional 3rd party votes; many of them in states where those votes would have swung the election.

Biden, whatever his faults, is still a public servant and a statesman, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for the assholes on the other side of the aisle. 

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

Oh.  Um, yes.  Still, to use your Chafee standard, Biden was still a Senator for one session after he left office in 2006.  In the that session (110th), here are the list of Senators that were more "conservative" than Biden based on DW-NOMINATE, from more "liberal" to "conservative:"  Byrd, Feingold, Cantwell, Conrad, Klobuchar, Reid, Feinstein, Dorgan, Bingaman, Kohl, Tim Johnson, Salazar, Tester, Baucus, Lieberman, Landrieu, Pryor, Bill Nelson, Carper, Webb, Lincoln, Bayh, McCaskill, Ben Nelson.

Now, a whole hell of a lot of those seats have been replaced by Republicans, but frankly the fact Biden was more "liberal" than the majority leader is all you need to know that referring to Biden as a "conservative" Democrat is not a valid assertion.   

One session post 2006? Biden first entered the senate in 1973. 

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

One session post 2006? Biden first entered the senate in 1973. 

Uh, thanks.  Like I said - to use your standard of when Chafee left office, which was in 2006.  Meaning, even at that relatively late period - only 14 to 12 years ago - in the now ~ 40 year process of polarization and intraparty ideological homogeneity, Biden wasn't even close to the most "conservative" Democratic Senator.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Uh, thanks.  Like I said - to use your standard of when Chafee left office, which was in 2006.  Meaning, even at that relatively late period - only 14 to 12 years ago - in the now ~ 40 year process of polarization and intraparty ideological homogeneity, Biden wasn't even close to the most "conservative" Democratic Senator.

Honestly, that site has Kamala Harris and Cory Booker as being more left than Bernie Sanders, I'm inclined to call it suspect in its evaluation of where people are actually at.

2 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Honestly, that site has Kamala Harris and Cory Booker as being more left than Bernie Sanders, I'm inclined to call it suspect in its evaluation of where people are actually at.

DW-NOMINATE is not perfect, and is not even technically a measure of ideology (hence why I put quotations over conservative/liberal) - it's a measurement of how often a MC votes with her party (or against her opposition party).  Also, not all bills are created equal.  This can be seen in the list I posted - I definitely wouldn't describe Biden as more "liberal" than Russ fucking Feingold.  But it's objective, it's cumulative, and it's consistent.  It is undoubtedly the best tool there is to compare MCs' ideology between each other and over time.  No one legitimate, regardless of their personal politics, would argue that.

45 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

...scouting out DMC's building for a snipers nest or something similar.

...Wait, what?!?  Not sure what you're suggesting here, but my apartment complex is on a hill and I live on the top floor, so just as a warning - I have the high ground Anakin, don't try it!

Just now, DMC said:

...Wait, what?!?  Not sure what you're suggesting here, but my apartment complex is on a hill and I live on the top floor, so just as a warning - I have the high ground Anakin, don't try it!

that will just make it all the more appealing to said right wing fruit loops looking to assassinate Biden.

Just now, ThinkerX said:

that will just make it all the more appealing to said right wing fruit loops looking to assassinate Biden.

....I mean, if Biden was gonna show up at my apartment complex, I guess.

1 minute ago, ThinkerX said:

got a good view of the prospective presidential motorcade route...from anywhere in the complex?  

If the president were to visit my complex?  ...Um, I'm not comfortable taking this conversation any further on the internet.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

DW-NOMINATE is not perfect, and is not even technically a measure of ideology (hence why I put quotations over conservative/liberal) - it's a measurement of how often a MC votes with her party (or against her opposition party).  Also, not all bills are created equal.  This can be seen in the list I posted - I definitely wouldn't describe Biden as more "liberal" than Russ fucking Feingold.  But it's objective, it's cumulative, and it's consistent.  It is undoubtedly the best tool there is to compare MCs' ideology between each other and over time.  No one legitimate, regardless of their personal politics, would argue that.

I would say that it is a good record of how people voted, but that does not tell a complete enough of the story to make a judgement on where people are at.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

If the president were to visit my complex?  ...Um, I'm not comfortable taking this conversation any further on the internet.

Too true. I think it is important that everyone know the do's and don'ts of expressing homicidal inclinations towards elected officials.

1 minute ago, GrimTuesday said:

I would say that it is a good record of how people voted, but that does not tell a complete enough of the story to make a judgement on where people are at.

Well, no measure is perfect, but it certainly conclusively demonstrates Biden was not a conservative Democrat throughout his Senate career, which is all that matters in this context.

Archived