US Politics: Dark Days at Parler

Fragile Bird

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

But would he go down on you in a theatre?

Josh Hawley? No. Resoundingly no. Josh Hawley wouldn’t go down on you anywhere, anytime. He thinks it’s super gross. Plus, he doesn’t understand what the point would be. 

5 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Yeah, he's pretty spot on sometimes. It's just so hard when he goes into "grumpy old man and dumb millennials and their Twitter" mode.

I find it hard to fault him for his many faults when he says shit like the first 45 seconds - 

7 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Josh Hawley? No. Resoundingly no. Josh Hawley wouldn’t go down on you anywhere, anytime. He thinks it’s super gross. Plus, he doesn’t understand what the point would be. 

Ya never know.  Who woulda thought with Uncle June?

32 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I was watching some Youtube, and I caught something by Bill Maher (I think back in December, so before the insurrection) that essentially said to help us get people beyond Trumpism is to treat them like members of a cult. I'm not a Maher fan, but sometimes he makes an interesting point or two. He said that people in cults typically aren't saved from them by being shamed or becoming the target of anger, but by understanding they have been taken into something that many humans are susceptible to. I wonder what he'd say now, and I'm curious how some of you feel about this. I've certainly heard plenty of you (and this is true for me too) who have talked about losing loved ones to Trumpism. For me, I've been pretty militant in just cutting those people out of my life. I don't know if I have it in me to be compassionate for everything we've seen over the last four years. But it's an interesting notion nonetheless.

Here's the clip: New Rule: The Great Disappointment | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - YouTube

It's about ten minutes. And it's Bill Maher (so, a little sexist, anti-Christian, etc.), so, take it as you will.

I hear this.  I think where I am on this is that for family, I’m willing to try compassion.  I only have one set of parents.  I love them a lot and I owe them a lot.  And I only have so many more years with them.  So, while they are not full throated Trumpets (my mother calls him a bully and a boor), they also have fallen for the trap that somehow supporting Democrats is unAmerican etc.  Thus, it is worth it to me to continue to reach out, discuss, engage, refute, but with love.  They should hear other voices that come at them from a place of compassion and love, and I shouldn’t give up on people who never gave up on my because they fell for slick FauxNews.  And maybe this is true for my oldest friends etc. (though none of them fall in this category).

Where it comes to less close “friends” and acquaintances-eff that noise they are gone.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did you see that (as perhaps a series of) as a parting gift Mike Pompeo has now named Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/u-s-declares-cuba-state-sponsor-terrorism-n1253770

Weeks ago, they did that. Guess it only today or something for people who aren't generally tuned in to Cooba. :cheers: But gee whiz it's good he's not letting us get confused as to who sponsors and supports terrorism!

As of today he's also:

Pompeo Demands Voice of America Promote U.S. as the Greatest

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-11/pompeo-demands-voice-of-america-promote-u-s-as-the-greatest

and 

Pompeo Trumpets Trump, Razzes Critics in Speech to VOA
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has taken to U.S. government-funded airwaves to deliver a full-throated defense of the Trump administration's presentation of its foreign policy and support for democracy

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2021-01-11/pompeo-trumpets-trump-razzes-critics-in-speech-to-voa

I have no problem shaming Maher for his more-than-a-little  sexism, his theories on vaccines (don't need them if you live healthy), fat-shaming (there's a nice reply of James Corden to one of his anti-fat person rants)... That said, wrt Trump he was always spot-on. Then again, which late night host isn't?

20 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Oh me, all you have to do is Google that phone number to get a laugh at anyone who falls for this!

This is the real difference from the days when the nazis took over Austria and Germany: this kind of thing could not happen.  Or if it did, it was seen locally only, on posters or news sheets or graffiti.  Now the jeers and parodies and satires, making fun of and finger pointing happen in real time and people can see them in real time and send them all over in real time.

The pushing back via various means and making fun is ancient -- graffiti and posters and town criers and even professional balladeers and broad sheets -- such things went on in ancient Rome and China even, as well as in the medieval eras of Europe.  But to have it so fast, so universal, this is new.

Somebody should probably make a study of this, whether or not it makes a difference, when / if we get through this.  The one thing we do know is this instantaneous communication is perfect for recruiting the insane and the violent and those who want to run things according to their own lights.  Like Hawley howls, only a christian state, the kind of christian he has decided is the right one, is the only one that is to be allowed.  That certainly doesn't allow for equal rights for anybody except him.

I love Bill Maher. I didn’t like him at first because the first impression of him is as kind of a smarmy know it all smart ass. But watching his show, which have watched religiously for the past few years, I find that I really share a lot of opinions with him. I generally agree with his criticisms of the left as well as those of Trump and the Republicans. 

25 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Weeks ago, they did that. Guess it only today or something for people who aren't generally tuned in to Cooba. :cheers: But gee whiz it's good he's not letting us get confused as to who sponsors and supports terrorism!

Now you're confusing me, the article says it was only done today. It also said the State Department was hinting it would eventually happen as far back as last May, but the actual deed was done today.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now you're confusing me, the article says it was only done today. It also said the State Department was hinting it would eventually happen as far back as last May, but the actual deed was done today.

It was sent out in the Cuban newsletter that goes to lawyers and attorneys who work with the people who do work in Cuba.  So maybe what I mean is that I knew last year it was happening, and so people had to tailor their work according to that, right then, because laws, you know. We must be law abiding and non-enable terrorists!

Then we just forgot about it in the press of events and Biden's people's telling us all this would be rolled back -- which one quite thinks again putting Cuba again that list was a work-around by the shoggoths to keep Obama's achievement there from returning -- which is what Biden's people said was coming -- going back to the Obama years.

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

What the what? Anyhoo, I heard a nickname on the internets for him, "coonskin Gandhi"

This is the guy they want us to focus on -- see folks, this wasn't really serious, nothing to see here, those guys who were professionally trained and invading professionally searching for a list of people to take hostage or execute, like Pence -- don't even think about them, or Hawley or any of the others. Guys like him are beards, camo, mask and disguise behind which the real killers operate.

Archived