US Politics: Dark Days at Parler

Fragile Bird

7 hours ago, Ormond said:

Uh, no, this is very understandable in terms of social psychology. It's not just a problem of the "weak minded." People who are strongly committed to an ideology or a group are going to immediately accept reinterpretations of past facts when predictions don't come to pass, and grasp at any face-saving explanation that allows them to maintain a sense that they are still in the right and are not just dupes. People who were "lukewarm" adherents often actually become MORE convinced after disconfirmations.

Not to quibble about the definition of words but if repeatedly returning to comforting lies rather than accept easily observable truth isn’t emotionally weak then I don’t know what else to term it.  I completely believe you that it’s an understandable phenomenon when viewed through the lens of social psychology, but in this instance I don’t think psychologically understandable and ‘emotionally weak’ need be mutually exclusive. It’s understandable sure, it’s still pathetic.

I freely judge recognizable people based on their treatment of service staff. I have seen or directly interacted with a whole lot of celebs or athletes. Bill Maher is absolutely bottom 3 ever, and I will forever dismiss him for it. What an absolute knob. 

Then again, one of the class acts was Dean Cain, and he apparently is a colossal piece of shit, apart from being really charming to his waitress, bussers, and this bartender. 

Can this be even ... possible?

https://www.rawstory.com/ivanka-trump-2649879890/

"President Trump is up in arms about Ivanka's decision," said the report. "'He said it's an insult that she would even want to engage with the crooks that are trying to bring him down,' says the insider, adding that Trump said the family must stand together and put on a united front. 'The president told his daughter that her presence at the inauguration will cost her thousands of supporters and would be the worst decision she could ever make,' they say. But Ivanka is convinced that by attending Biden's inauguration she will come across as 'being a good sport and will gain future supporters,' the source says."

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Can this be even ... possible?

https://www.rawstory.com/ivanka-trump-2649879890/

Yes, Ivanka. I would totally take you seriously if you show up for the inauguration. This is a great idea. Go forth and seek acceptance from decent people.

It is no way a setup to make you a subject of memes more humiliating than when all those G20 dignitaries froze you out.

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

The Branch Trumpidians are currently discussing the feasibility of crowdfunding a “conservative Amazon”. 

Nice, now I know where to go if I ever need a shitty pillow, gold, or a reverse mortgage.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yes, Ivanka. I would totally take you seriously if you show up for the inauguration. This is a great idea. Go forth and seek acceptance from decent people.

It is no way a setup to make you a subject of memes more humiliating than when all those G20 dignitaries froze you out.

She’s worried that she was going to be banned from the Palm Beach parties too, not just the Manhattan fundraisers.

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Josh Hawley? No. Resoundingly no. Josh Hawley wouldn’t go down on you anywhere, anytime. He thinks it’s super gross. Plus, he doesn’t understand what the point would be. 

Josh Hawley thinks the clitoris is a liberal hoax to turn men into sissy beta cucks.  

7 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I said he was the "most" conservative, and I stand by it. @DMC provided a highly flawed metric which did little to change my mind.

7 hours ago, DMC said:

It doesn't, I was just reinforcing my argument.  Which, yes, was not with you, but you did respond to it.

LOL, yes, that assertion really dates the book.  Entirely agree with your updated position (which, to be fair, Zaller himself has noted in recent years).

Speaking of this phenomenon:

I'm absolutely shocked you dismiss the metric as highly flawed and instead stand by your assessment based on nothing but your own bias.

If you are talking about 2006 on, you're focusing on his voting record for two years out of the 36 he was in the senate; during the meltdown of the George W Bush administration; while Biden was running for VP. It's fair to ask if this is a representative sample.

Here's one point and then I'm done with this discussion; It's irrelevant where you think Biden lands in the political spectrum. Even if Bidens political opponents don't bring up segregation and busing to reinforce the "See, the Lefties are the real racists, huh?" malarkey, they can hit him on other things.

They will find a way to hit him with civil asset forfeiture, which civil libertarians across the political spectrum agree is not just a disastrous policy; it's also a vector of corruption for police forces across the country. If they're feeling really bold, they may even hammer him for his role in the war on drugs, which disproportionately effects the poor and POC's. Anything is possible with these assholes.

Has the likelihood of further attacks been covered?  It seems like Trump would love nothing more than to prevent Biden from inhabiting the White House by, like...blowing it up or damaging it in some other way.

Is it smart to have a normal-ish inauguration?  What will the insurrectionists do within the crowd for that?

Can we take the gold drapes from the oval office and have a bonfire?

What does George think about the expression "trial by combat" being used in this context?  He is certainly the person who brought it into the modern lexicon.

Archived