US Politics: Dark Days at Parler

Fragile Bird

50 minutes ago, Fez said:

I had thought that too, but now I'm less sure. I've seen claims that the FBI was significantly hampered in their efforts to pre-empt the attack. If they had been foreign nationals they could've been arrested in advance, but since they were citizens they couldn't because almost none of their online chatter could be legally monitored (not enough time to get warrants, etc.).

I'm pretty sure that all they need to start investigating is for there to be a credable threat. This was not something that came out of nowhere, this is a structural failure in a law enforcement agency that, like most law enforcement agencies, is fairly right wing. We spied on all sorts of American citizens when they were brown, but when we're talking about white folks who couldn't have been more obvious if they filmed a Al-Qaeda/Osama Bin Ladin video where they outright said there was going to be an attack.

Looking at the North Dakota paper of record, not a word about the insurrection -- except letter complaining at the unfairness of Big Tech shutting down what “it considers problematic speech” when not shutting down, o, MSNBC I guess?

This nation desperately needs a national de-programming program.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Looking at the North Dakota paper of record, not a word about the insurrection -- except letter complaining at the unfairness of Big Tech shutting down what “it considers problematic speech” when not shutting down, o, MSNBC I guess?

This nation desperately needs a national de-programming program.

Wait, people still read the news paper?

DC is now fully locking down on Jan 13, rather than Jan 19, in preparation for the inauguration. https://www.axios.com/dc-lockdown-biden-inauguration-national-guard-f5a40a69-4cc8-4861-84fe-1ea047ff3f3d.html

Basically all of downtown DC is going to be a militarized zone starting on Wednesday; with over 15,000 National Guard troops now, and a completely unknown number of police and federal agents.

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Obviously.  I read many myself every day, not all of them from the USA.

Did you see that (as perhaps a series of) as a parting gift Mike Pompeo has now named Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/u-s-declares-cuba-state-sponsor-terrorism-n1253770

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

This is weird...

For this to be true, he would have to have resigned, because his term would not end if the 25th was invoked. Reagan's and George W. Bush's terms did not "end" and then "begin" again when the 25th was briefly invoked while they were under anesthesia and their Vice Presidents were Acting President. 

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

For this to be true, he would have to have resigned, because his term would not end if the 25th was invoked. Reagan's and George W. Bush's terms did not "end" and then "begin" again when the 25th was briefly invoked while they were under anesthesia and their Vice Presidents were Acting President. 

Or he's firing Pence, as the Q loonies predicted :P Or (more likely), I've been spending too much time on Twitter

Even if this "Trump's term ends 1/11" thing was true, why would the Secretary of State website have that information before anyone else?  It's not like anyone in the Trump WH can keep a secret - this would leak within 30 seconds of the first person he told. 

It's nothing, just accept that it's nothing. 

33 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did you see that (as perhaps a series of) as a parting gift Mike Pompeo has now named Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/u-s-declares-cuba-state-sponsor-terrorism-n1253770

Wait, Cuba funded the Trump insurrection?

Schumer's staff have apparently identified a 2004 senate resolution still on the books, that allows the senate majority and minority leader to jointly reconvene the senate from recess in an emergency. So, McConnell would have to be on board (doubtful), but his argument that it was literally impossible to reconvene the senate before January 19 without unanimous consent is wrong.

In other news, I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I'm thinking probably bad

ETA: FEMA Administrator Pete Gaynor is the new Acting DHS Secretary. I don't know anything about him, but he was senate-confirmed last year in an 81-8 vote. So hopefully that means there's nothing too Trump-y about him.

17 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Alanis Morisette is in my head right now.

Josh Hawley served on the Senate Committee on Armed Services, Emerging Threats and Capabilities.

And the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.

Nice.

But would he go down on you in a theatre?

7 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Oh yeah, typo. 70 kb is barely a jpg image.

Fear not, nation, FLOTUS put out  statement. The real victim: you guessed it.

Most recently, my heart goes out to: Air Force Veteran, Ashli Babbit, Benjamin Philips, Kevin Greeson, Rosanne Boyland, and Capitol Police Officers, Brian Sicknick and Howard Liebengood. I pray for their families comfort and strength during this difficult time.

I am disappointed and disheartened with what happened last week. I find it shameful that surrounding these tragic events there has been salacious gossip, unwarranted personal attacks, and false misleading accusations on me – from people who are looking to be relevant and have an agenda. This time is solely about healing our country and its citizens. It should not be used for personal gain.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/first-lady-melania-trump-path-forward/

I guess Michelle Obama didn’t leave a template for this one?

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

In other news, I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I'm thinking probably bad

He was apparently strongly considering stepping down right after the riot, but was talked out of it by his aides.

I was watching some Youtube, and I caught something by Bill Maher (I think back in December, so before the insurrection) that essentially said to help us get people beyond Trumpism is to treat them like members of a cult. I'm not a Maher fan, but sometimes he makes an interesting point or two. He said that people in cults typically aren't saved from them by being shamed or becoming the target of anger, but by understanding they have been taken into something that many humans are susceptible to. I wonder what he'd say now, and I'm curious how some of you feel about this. I've certainly heard plenty of you (and this is true for me too) who have talked about losing loved ones to Trumpism. For me, I've been pretty militant in just cutting those people out of my life. I don't know if I have it in me to be compassionate for everything we've seen over the last four years. But it's an interesting notion nonetheless.

Here's the clip: New Rule: The Great Disappointment | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO) - YouTube

It's about ten minutes. And it's Bill Maher (so, a little sexist, anti-Christian, etc.), so, take it as you will.

Archived