US Politics: Dark Days at Parler

Fragile Bird

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

They used too. But they officially did not have a party platform in 2020, and basically every Republican who has discussed it in recent years has been opposed to it. They think it'll just give Democrats 2 more senators.

As I understand it they actually readopted the 2016 platform for 2020. The 2016 Republican platform reads in part:

“We support the right of the United States citizens of Puerto Rico to be admitted to the Union as a fully sovereign state.”

I did a quick check, and the same wording is used in every Republican platform going back to at least 2000. I understand that these are just words on paper, and that Republicans will fight against PR statehood; what I’m saying is that, provided Puerto Rico still wants to be a state, Dems should force these hypocrites to disavow their own platform, and loudly call them out on it every day.

Just now, Myshkin said:

As I understand it they actually readopted the 2016 platform for 2020. The 2016 Republican platform reads in part:

“We support the right of the United States citizens of Puerto Rico to be admitted to the Union as a fully sovereign state.”

I did a quick check, and the same wording is used in every Republican platform going back to at least 2000. I understand that these are just words on paper, and that Republicans will fight against PR statehood; what I’m saying is that, provided Puerto Rico still wants to be a state, Dems should force these hypocrites to disavow their own platform, and loudly call them out on it every day.

And my understanding on PR and statehood is “it’s complicated.”

13 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On that note. Kinda disappointed Birdy didn't go with something like Enough with the silly parler games as thread title.

Dark days at Parler has layers of meaning, though.

Speaking of Dark days, Ser Scot posted a screen shot someone took from Parler where this guy says everybody should just go out one day and shoot two liberals (or Democrats, I don't remember) and rid the country of them forever. Nobody would care and the US would be a much better place for it and function far better.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Speaking of Dark days, Ser Scot posted a screen shot someone took from Parler where this guy says everybody should just go out one day and shoot two liberals (or Democrats, I don't remember) and rid the country of them forever. Nobody would care and the US would be a much better place for it and function far better.

Where would he have posted such a thing?

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That reminds me of a bit from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy wherein one planet sent all the people doing useless stuff, such as dirty phone handset cleaners, off on a spaceship. Those that stayed back all died off from a disease spread by dirty phone handsets.

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Where would he have posted such a thing?

Ser Scot has, as he has mentioned, lots of pro-Trump family, relatives, and acquaintances, and he posts things to challenge them. I bet many have Parler accounts. The screen shot is being posted on Facebook to counter those who say "Parler is just like Facebook".

eta: he will post terrible things Trump has said or done and ask why they would support the man. Some of the things people have said have been a real eye-opener for innocent little me.

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ser Scot has, as he has mentioned, lots of pro-Trump family, relatives, and acquaintances, and he posts things to challenge them. I bet many have Parler accounts. The screen shot is being posted on Facebook to counter those who say "Parler is just like Facebook".

eta: he will post terrible things Trump has said or done and ask why they would support the man. Some of the things people have said have been a real eye-opener for innocent little me.

I guess this means you yourself are a Facebook "friend" of Scot's?

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Oh certainly. That’s why something should be done to give U.S. Territories voting representation in Congress. The details of how this could be done, I don’t know, but it’s really shitty that there are U.S. citizens in Puerto Rico, DC, Guam, American Samoa, Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. Virgin Islands who have no voice in Congress. 

35 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Let's not forget that substantial number of Puerto Ricans would like independence. So there are at least three conflicting objectives: independence, statehood, and let's keep things as they are because we can control and graft like nobody's biz with the rethugs and corporations at our backs.

~~~~~~~~~~

Why did that Capitol Police kill himself? Dishonor? Shame? Terror? ??????

43 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I guess this means you yourself are a Facebook "friend" of Scot's?

Yes, it does. We became friends at Chicago Worldcom in 2011, and then I started adding friends from the Board because they are scattered around the world. 

I just lost a Board friend, not a close friend, after she posted about the events on Wednesday and all her friends posted that it was a peaceful demonstration, the media was treating them unfairly, look at the looting and fires caused by the BLM protestors etc etc. I posted, saying I missed the news that BLM protestors broke into the Capitol building looking for elected officials to hang, perhaps I was distracted too much by stories about black people being shot in the back. Oh well.

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yes, it does. We became friends at Chicago Worldcom in 2011, and then I started adding friends from the Board because they are scattered around the world. 

I just lost a Board friend, not a close friend, after she posted about the events on Wednesday and all her friends posted that it was a peaceful demonstration, the media was treating them unfairly, look at the looting and fires caused by the BLM protestors etc etc. I posted, saying I missed the news that BLM protestors broke into the Capital building looking for elected officials to hang, perhaps I was distracted too much by stories about black people being shot in the back. Oh well.

Yikes! I’m sorry bird! This must’ve been someone I didn’t have added

16 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

All the more reason to avoid FB and its drama. Friends and relatives of friends causing drama.

Tbh, I’m perfectly happy to fight people’s family members on Facebook. And since I use it for a lot of work stuff that means I spend a not zero amount of time calling clients’ relatives fascists.

23 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Yikes! I’m sorry bird! This must’ve been someone I didn’t have added

I think she was briefly on the Board, was friends with other folks out west, and then a couple of years ago started posting about how her children wouldn't even talk to her anymore because of politics. I try hard not to condemn people, I try to listen to all points of view, I know from many US friends that they either live in Republican states or have many Republican family and friends and would be isolated if they unfriended everyone. This person recently went to Washington DC and got caught up in street violence a few weeks ago. I wanted to ask why the hell they would travel to Washington when there was going to be a Trump rally that weekend. She posted beautiful pictures of the Lincoln Memorial and the reflecting pond and other things I've seen in Washington, so I don't think they went for the rally. But they left their hotel one day and got attacked in the strret "while police watched and did nothing". She didn't say exactly but it sounded like somebody's son was wearing a MAGA hat. There was a lot of angry response against BLM and libs and stuff like that then.

This is the really difficult thing I see happening in the US. Some people said they were going to join Parler because of too much drama on Facebook, that Parler was just like Facebook where friends had accounts and posted pictures of their cats and their children too. And that's why I think you have to shove stuff right under their noses like the guy saying go out and kill two liberals and the world will be a better place.

I feel real sorrow for my US friends caught up in this.

What is MeWe? Anyone ever heard of it? A Trumpy fraternity brother, who is generally someone I don't see much of on Facebook anymore because I, and some others, have been arguing with him for years and he's muted most of us, just popped up on FB with an invite to join him on this...

4 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Tbh, I’m perfectly happy to fight people’s family members on Facebook. And since I use it for a lot of work stuff that means I spend a not zero amount of time calling clients’ relatives fascists.

I get into fights on the NYT and Huffington Post and CBC comments section, but I have to be careful since I am getting bans now. Who knew a man could call you a Nazi with a copy of Mein Kampf at your bedside and that didn't violate Fb rules, but if you call a man an idiot you are a bully and get a ban?

Archived