US Politics: Dark Days at Parler

Fragile Bird

2 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I hear this.  I think where I am on this is that for family, I’m willing to try compassion.  I only have one set of parents.  I love them a lot and I owe them a lot.  And I only have so many more years with them.  So, while they are not full throated Trumpets (my mother calls him a bully and a boor), they also have fallen for the trap that somehow supporting Democrats is unAmerican etc.  Thus, it is worth it to me to continue to reach out, discuss, engage, refute, but with love.  They should hear other voices that come at them from a place of compassion and love, and I shouldn’t give up on people who never gave up on my because they fell for slick FauxNews.  And maybe this is true for my oldest friends etc. (though none of them fall in this category).

Where it comes to less close “friends” and acquaintances-eff that noise they are gone.

As a professional "helping people changer" it is basically this.  You need a relationship with that person to leverage, so that your conversations have impact.  It is much more difficult the weaker those relationships are.  It hits a point where a person just won't be effective and we only have so much energy and time in a day.

32 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Don't forget the big dick toilet that acting AG used to sell.

What?!?

28 minutes ago, litechick said:

Has the likelihood of further attacks been covered?  It seems like Trump would love nothing more than to prevent Biden from inhabiting the White House by, like...blowing it up or damaging it in some other way.

Is it smart to have a normal-ish inauguration?  What will the insurrectionists do within the crowd for that?

Can we take the gold drapes from the oval office and have a bonfire?

What does George think about the expression "trial by combat" being used in this context?  He is certainly the person who brought it into the modern lexicon.

Fair question regarding the inauguration.

Carter had the right idea. Regan's shit was just BLARGH. FDR's was...yeah... Different aesthetic in those days.

Edit: Regan carried over Carters and Fords crapes. Must be the lighting because they do not look good in that photo.

I know the New York State Bar Association is talking about expelling Rudy for it. Not the same as disbarment; He'll have to turn in his gym card and he probably won't get their news letter anymore.

1 hour ago, S John said:

Not to quibble about the definition of words but if repeatedly returning to comforting lies rather than accept easily observable truth isn’t emotionally weak then I don’t know what else to term it.  I completely believe you that it’s an understandable phenomenon when viewed through the lens of social psychology, but in this instance I don’t think psychologically understandable and ‘emotionally weak’ need be mutually exclusive. It’s understandable sure, it’s still pathetic.

If you insist on designating this as "emotionally weak" means that you are calling the great majority of humanity "emotionally weak", because most social psychologist believe the great majority of us are susceptible to these factors.  If you are OK with saying the majority of human beings, including probably you and me, are "pathetic", that's fine with me. 

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

The Branch Trumpidians are currently discussing the feasibility of crowdfunding a “conservative Amazon”. 

Probably because I read this right after the post about Ivanka, it took me about 30 seconds to realize you were talking about a rival to the company, not the idea of funding a very athletic warrior woman to lead their movement. :)

24 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

If you are talking about 2006 on, you're focusing on his voting record for two years out of the 36 he was in the senate; during the meltdown of the George W Bush administration; while Biden was running for VP. It's fair to ask if this is a representative sample.

For the third time, I focused on the 110th session specifically because of what you said in regards to Chafee.  It is fair to ask if it's a representative sample, but you never did.  To answer - it is, remarkably so.  As I said repeatedly, Biden is always shown to be in the middle of the pack of the Democratic party throughout his 36 tenure.  There are certain Senators that keep on showing up right around him as well - the most similar, and strikingly so, is kind of oddly Daniel Inouye.  Don't believe me?  Then look it up yourself.  I'm not gonna go through the time of listing his exact position through 18 sessions to make a point on a message board.

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

If you insist on designating this as "emotionally weak" means that you are calling the great majority of humanity "emotionally weak", because most social psychologist believe the great majority of us are susceptible to these factors.

This was confirmed long ago by one of the wisest researchers ever:

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

For the third time, I focused on the 110th session specifically because of what you said in regards to Chafee.  It is fair to ask if it's a representative sample, but you never did.  To answer - it is, remarkably so.  As I said repeatedly, Biden is always shown to be in the middle of the pack of the Democratic party throughout his 36 tenure.  There are certain Senators that keep on showing up right around him as well - the most similar, and strikingly so, is kind of oddly Daniel Inouye.  Don't believe me?  Then look it up yourself.  I'm not gonna go through the time of listing his exact position through 18 sessions to make a point on a message board.

I already responded to this with the portion you didn't quote.

Bill Belichek will not be accepting the Presidential MoH. I dont care much for football, so I'm not part of the love/hate relationship much of America has with him, but surely this would restore some respect for him that you may not otherwise have had:

“Recently I was offered the opportunity to receive the presidential medal of freedom, which I was flattered by out of respect for what the honor represents and admiration for prior recipients. Subsequently, the tragic events of last week occurred and the decision has been made not to move forward with the award,” said Belichick in a statement issued on Monday.

“Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom and democracy. I know I also represent my family and the New England Patriots team. One of the most rewarding things in my professional career took place in 2020 when, through the great leadership within our team, conversations about social justice, equality and human rights moved to the forefront and became actions.

“Continuing those efforts while remaining true to the people, team and country I love outweigh the benefits of any individual award.”

From what I've heard, thats more words than he has spoken his entire life.

1 hour ago, S John said:

Not to quibble about the definition of words but if repeatedly returning to comforting lies rather than accept easily observable truth isn’t emotionally weak then I don’t know what else to term it.  I completely believe you that it’s an understandable phenomenon when viewed through the lens of social psychology, but in this instance I don’t think psychologically understandable and ‘emotionally weak’ need be mutually exclusive. It’s understandable sure, it’s still pathetic.

Again, not really. It is part of most humans at some level to want to accept comforting lies given to you by either your ingroup or authorities. This is innate to humans - some humans more than others. It is at the core of every religion, popular figure movement, most revolutions and most successful protests. 

If it's pathetic, well, so are most people. Which, ya know, go ahead and stand on that idea, but I doubt seriously that's what you wanted to say.

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I already responded to this with the portion you didn't quote.

....And I was responding to you saying "it's fair to ask if this is a representative sample" by answering if it was a representative sample.  That's why I quoted the portion I did.  I don't know why you're being so difficult without actually arguing much of anything.

7 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Bill Belichek will not be accepting the Presidential MoH. I dont care much for football, so I'm not part of the love/hate relationship much of America has with him, but surely this would restore some respect for him that you may not otherwise have had:

From what I've heard, thats more words than he has spoken his entire life.

Not surprising, and his response was really smart. There's no benefit for him in accepting the award.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Pretty sure the benefit is you get a medal.

A tainted medal he probably doesn't care much about, and accepting it could hurt his standing with current and future players. Best to respectfully decline while highlighting the good you've tried to do on the issues he brought up.

Live Updates: Trump and Pence meet, but source says Pence is "discouraged"

A senior administration source confirmed to CBS News that President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence spoke Monday evening in the Oval Office, their first meeting since the assault on the U.S. Capitol last week. The source described it as a "good" conversation.

A former White House official with close ties to Pence earlier told CBS News that the vice president is "discouraged, disheartened, hurt and stunned."

The source said Pence never seriously considered using the 25th Amendment to remove Mr. Trump from office.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/trump-impeachment-2021-01-11/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=108922859#post-update-15dd5d92

Funny spoof:

Is that Phoebe from Friends?

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A tainted medal he probably doesn't care much about, and accepting it could hurt his standing with current and future players. Best to respectfully decline while highlighting the good you've tried to do on the issues he brought up.

Can Biden give him a MoH for refusing Trump’s MoH?  Or rescind Limbaugh’s?

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I was being a smartass.

I know. It's always safe to assume you're being a bit of a smartass when you're not talking about politics in an academic sense or when you're discussing your totally weird sports triumvirate fandom.

6 minutes ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Can Biden give him a MoH for refusing Trump’s MoH?  Or rescind Limbaugh’s?

Frankly sports figures don't need the award unless they do something bigger than their sport.

Biden should give the medal to Kaepernick.

Archived