What do you think are your favorite characters's biggest flaws?

Alyn Oakenfist

26 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I dont think these are flaws, I think this is what ruling looks like when all you have is reconciliation. The dragons are just war machines and the plot was about putting them away, at least this is what I got from GRRM describing it: "They're very temperamental beasts, they represent power of course in the books. You know I don't believe any more than JRRT did in in fantasy novels as allegory, but there are certain things you can look at. The Dragons can win wars for you, that's established in the histories. But they can't necessarily produce peace or prosperity or help you rule the nation. You know Daenerys Targaryen is finding it out in Meereen when she defeats the cities of Slavers Bay with her three dragons. But then in trying to rule as Queen, she can destroy Meereen any time she wants by just unleashing the dragons, she could kill a lot of people, wipe out that most of the population of the city, reduce the entire city to a fiery inferno, but that doesn't help her come up with good laws or to establish peace between the original inhabitants and the the freedmen and people that she's brought in. So ruling is more than just the power to destroy, and that's a lesson that she's definitely learning" (x)

I am honestly stunned that George is bringing up the concept this being about managing peace between freed and slave and what he suspiciously refers to as “the original inhabitants”. My impression was he just kind of forgot about few million freed Slaves Dany has. I kept asking myself, okay why’ve hasn’t a mob stormed the pyramids as revenge for the SoH murders? Why aren’t loyalist paramilitaries springing up to kill former slavers and burn their properties? That reaction never occurring in ADWD is a massive problem that undermines the entire scenario. Basically the Sons of the Harpy just go freely about killing freed slaves and there’s no backlash to that. I don’t buy that for a second. It will be absurd if Dany comes back and suddenly they’re all game for killing the masters.

37 minutes ago, Tyrion1991 said:

I am honestly stunned that George is bringing up the concept this being about managing peace between freed and slave and what he suspiciously refers to as “the original inhabitants”. My impression was he just kind of forgot about few million freed Slaves Dany has. I kept asking myself, okay why’ve hasn’t a mob stormed the pyramids as revenge for the SoH murders? Why aren’t loyalist paramilitaries springing up to kill former slavers and burn their properties? That reaction never occurring in ADWD is a massive problem that undermines the entire scenario. Basically the Sons of the Harpy just go freely about killing freed slaves and there’s no backlash to that. I don’t buy that for a second. It will be absurd if Dany comes back and suddenly they’re all game for killing the masters.

I think the end goal was to show that Dany is capable of stopping murder without using more murder. So no extrajudicial killings by former slave paramilitaries to solve the problem, no killing of child hostages either. I agree that the freedmen are conveniently written as sheep who do whatever mommy tells them to, but I think it's so that Dany can be on the one in control of the whole thing to get to that end goal.

Davos Seaworth - basically, his loyalty to Stannis.

Young Griff - hotheadedness, and possibly Jon Connington as well. He also trusts people too much.

Olenna Tyrell - having Mace Tyrell for a son.

Barristan Selmy - blind loyalty to whomever he swears to; while with Daenerys at least he is willing to tell the hard truths, he always shuts up when she balks before hearing actually difficult parts.

Daenerys Targaryen - well, she got a bit soured for me by everyone insisting she is a lord and saviour^1, so she is among "least-favourite-favourite" characters I have; but I'd say it is her idealism, which arguably also manifests in her unwillingness to consider flaws of previous Targaryen rulers, and her willingness to trust basically everybody older than her. Especially Jorah.

1^Yes, I know the image would actually fit Euron better.

5 minutes ago, Aldarion said:

Barristan Selmy - blind loyalty to whomever he swears to; while with Daenerys at least he is willing to tell the hard truths, he always shuts up when she balks before hearing actually difficult parts.

True. Or maybe this is problem with Daenerys, who covers her ears and starts babbling whenever the truths are being served.

Tyrion - he is very short and has to build piles of objects to reach for essential items.

Tyrion's biggest flaw is vindictiveness. It goes beyond the serious wrongs done to him and it clouds everything he does. It's why he can do something like threaten to rape Tommen, his own nephew whom he actually thinks is a sweet boy. I says this despite Tyrion being one of my all-time favorite fictional characters.

My favorite characters and their flaws, in order;

-Sam is good-hearted, loyal and sweet, and is actually very courageous. Unfortunately, he still believes he is a coward, and always doubts his own abilities. It's not his fault for still being traumatized by his asshole father, but he does need to admit that he is capable of great things.

-Dolerous Ed is hilarious and apparently faithful, but he could stand to have a more positive outlook.

-Arya is a fierce little spitfire who is totally justified in wanting those who have wronged her, her family, and the smallfolk punished. She did the world a favor in having Chiswick offed. She still needs to be careful not to become the very monster she seeks to end. Her desire for vengeance is ultimately a destructive force.

-Jaime is moving in a better direction, with his self-reflection and his desire to live up to ideals of knighthood. His friendship with Brienne is a good influence on him. He still pushed a seven year old out a window. He did terrible things on behalf of his narccisistic sister.

-Sansa is sweet hearted and kind, and remains a romantic idealist at heart. But her worldview still causes her to be naive and trusting. She loves SweetRobin, but can't admit to herself that he is dying because of Littlefinger. She may not have much power at this point, but she can work to keep her little lord safe. Time is running out though.

-Danaerys is also good-hearted and surprisingly progressive for her time and place. Her idealism is her greatest strength, and her greatest flaw. Her good intentions in the moment blinds her to the consequences of her actions, and we all know the road to the seven hells is paved with good intentions.

-Tyrion is hilarious, witty, incisive. He is a voice for science and reason in this world where those things are in short supply. He often aims his best one liners upwards. But he is capable of great cruelty, and blind to his own role in perpetuating atrocities. His very best work, as Hand in Kings Landing served to prop up an illegitimate, tyrannical sadist.

Dany (so far): too little fire and blood. She should have sacked Yunkai but refrained > bites her in the ass, co-ruling with mereenese nobles and marrying Hizdar and locking the dragons up > hasn't been going great.

Cersei: poor empathy. This story would look entirely different if Cersei had been just decent.

Arya: being stuck in vigilante-mode.

Jon: He is like Ned and while he can be cunning he is honourable to a fault and has low self-esteem.

Cat: She is someone that I like and admire. What I could charge her with is the fact that she kidnapped Tyrion, she seems to prefer Sansa over Arya and acts on that and the fact that she blames Jon for being around and not Ned.

Brandon: Come out and die.

Doran: His patience.

Alyn: Why he had to cheat on Baela? She was one of the best Targaryen princesses in history.

Daemon: The Blood and Cheese incident and the fact that he was cheating a lot.

Stannis: He allows himself to follow Mel.

Bloodraven: Aenys’ execution.

Robert: He gave in to his demons.

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:
5 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:
6 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

Drogon has no flaws. He is flawless.

What about Hazzea?

Shh, or you'll bring the Fairy Godmother Queen's wrath upon yourself

Mate, I think he was joking with Drogon

Archived