Eddard, Syrio, and The Sealord

Skahaz mo Kandaq

I won't call this a theory because there is very little information to go on.  But I want you all to think of the possibility.  Eddard Stark would only choose a vetted teacher for Arya's sword lessons.  He already knew Syrio.  Eddard was in contact with Willem Darry and the Sealord.  I would not call them friends.  The Sealord and Willem were plotting to take the throne away from Eddard's best friend.  But it doesn't mean they were not communicating during this time.  Eddard would have at least some casual interest in the well-being of the royal children.  At the least, Eddard would wish them safe.  He would do what little he can to keep them from suffering the same fate as Rhaegar's children.  Eddard would want assurances from the Sealord that Prince Viserys would not challenge Robert.  In return, Eddard and Jon Arryn would talk Robert away from sending assassins.  Syrio was hired to guard the Sealord as well as the Targaryen children from assassins as a backup. 

There's an interesting thought there.  I don't see honourable Ned involved though.  He essentially washed his hands of directly helping Robert after the sack of King's Landing and murder of Rhaegar's kids.  He went to the Tower of Joy and then home. I don't see where he'd realistically have gotten in contact with anyone after that as he focused on his own house and lands after that.  I could have seen him allowing Viserys and Rhaella to escape and not suffer a similar fate, but they were already away and on Dragonstone and Ned had no way of knowing that Darry got them away.  So, interesting thought as he chose Syrio who directly served the man likely hiding Dany and Viserys, but I don't know that this was intentional on Martin's part as something bigger. I think Syrio is just an interesting character with a fitting style for Arya  rather than the clunky style of Knights. For me, Syrio is just Syrio and not "no one".

that all being said, would love to see if anyone can support your idea with some tidbits. So many clever folk out there and my teachers always told me I "take things too literally" so I'm often guilty of missing little clues and symbolism :)

Intriguing. A letter sent to the Sealord about V&D and in response Syrio is sent. Allows for private communication and protection of Sealord interests with an eye in court. Negotiations of some sort or plots of misdeeds?  I likey. (Now I get to imagine Syrio sneak peeking around the castle :D)

Or if you’re a fan of the Sealord as lord of the IB and FM maybe Syrio was still protecting the Sealord or head of FM. If Bravos was founded by slaves and a wondering wolf or Bolton was captured and enslaved, maybe they founded the city? Could be the “Sealord” sent someone to protect his daughter and train her. Never much talk about how Ned looks 10-15 years older than he does, or his other face and eyes. Theon looks more like Robb then  Arya does Sansa.

I would look to Varys.  The spymaster giving his recommendations to hire Syrio would make an impression on Ned.  Varys had other motives besides making sure Arya had good instruction.  

Willem, Sealord, and Varys were in contact with each other.  Varys was not a true friend of the Starks though.  He was already plotting the fall of Ned’s buddies.  Maybe Syrio was brought in to spy on Robert’s court and to help Varys with his rival, LF.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'll bring another angle to this idea.  Syrio Forel was a smart man who understood politics.  He would be useless as the Sealord's security man if he had no understanding of that.  He knew who Viserys and Daenerys were.  He knew this man, Eddard Stark, was one of the rebels who overthrew the Targaryens.  So maybe he was not on friendly terms with Eddard Stark before taking on the job.  But surely, if he was loyal to Eddard, he might have mentioned meeting the Targaryen children.  At least the topic would come up and started an interesting conversation between the men.  I also have an opinion on how Viserys and Daenerys survived on the streets for a long time.  They had a shadow.  I would guess a Faceless Man who kept track and protected them. 

3 hours ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

I'll bring another angle to this idea.  Syrio Forel was a smart man who understood politics.  He would be useless as the Sealord's security man if he had no understanding of that.  He knew who Viserys and Daenerys were.  He knew this man, Eddard Stark, was one of the rebels who overthrew the Targaryens.  So maybe he was not on friendly terms with Eddard Stark before taking on the job.  But surely, if he was loyal to Eddard, he might have mentioned meeting the Targaryen children.  At least the topic would come up and started an interesting conversation between the men.  I also have an opinion on how Viserys and Daenerys survived on the streets for a long time.  They had a shadow.  I would guess a Faceless Man who kept track and protected them. 

Thank you GRRM

Archived