Star Wars: Ahsoka - How will turn out?

Daeron the Daring

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Given how Sabine's character - and her family - is portrayed in Rebels, she always struck me as Asian if we're gonna do a real world equivalent.  Albeit closer to Japan/China/Korean descent as opposed to Sircar's Indian descent.

Sircar does get bonus points for me because she was apparently in Sarah Connor Chronicles.  I do not remember her in that.  Clearly, the gods are telling me it's time for a rewatch.

On Ahsoka, have to say her coloring always seemed more brownish-orange than just purely orange to me.  But whatever it's a fucking cartoon.

Yes, Sabine always seemed asian, but rather western asian (vietnamese for exapmle) than eastern (japanese/korean). On the other hand, the first time I saw his fater, I had the impression of an Indian man, and his mother was who strongly had the eastern asian look.

Sircar doesn't really look like how Sabine would look, but it would be an acceptable choice for me. It was actually horrifying to me how Sackoff looked exactly like CW Bo-Katan. This wouldn't be the case with Sircar being Sabine, but I don't see who would be a better option for casting Sabine. We're far from the beginning of the series, there will be rumours too about these things, and hopefully we'll get the best outcome.

2 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

I always got the impression Bo-Katan was deliberately animated to look like Sackhoff

Yeah me too.  Still, considering how she looks in Clone Wars compared to on The Mandalorian, she's aged brilliantly over about thirty years.

I don't think a live action show has any obligation to really make a live action character look much like the TV version although it would be problematic if they made say, Gerrara, into a white guy. The SWU still has a meh record of diverse casting but they're getting better. It would be cool to see a south Asian actor get a big part though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, Vaughn said:

However, it's ultimately a dead end, like the Mando simply because the show will be set before the ST.

As somebody who loves historical novels and movies/series, I could never understand this position, whenever it cropped up in relation to sf/fantasy universes. The SW (or ST, etc.) galaxy is big enough to accomodate lots of different stories. Fixation on the few central characters never made a huge amount of sense, particularly the "there can only be one" lightsaber wielding force-user character on each side at a time" that both OT and ST adhered to. OT as the original gets the pass there, though the awkward shoe-horning of Leia into "there is another" stuck out like a sore thumb because of it's complete lack of plausibility. TLJ going in the same direction was quite disappointing for me.

I.e. if the Mando was just about bounty hunting and space adventure, it would seem less pointless (though still very fun!) than having Grogu and Luke all show up when we know it's all over 20 years later and that Grogu certainly is either dead or irrelevant (or Snoke).

Grogu is still a child 20 years later, so it makes perfect sense that he doesn't feature in ST. His character is obviously a seed for the  after-ST continuity. It also is perfectly clear, IMHO, that he won't stay with Luke. As to Snoke, I suspect that we have seen his origins, as it were. I.e. he was the eventual product of all these experiments with Grogu's blood. YMMV.

tl:dr, the Mando should have been set after RoSkywalker. Ahsoka has the same problem. 

Why? There is room for lots of interesting stuff to happen between RoJ and ST. Maybe her efforts prevented the ST situation from getting much worse - if the New Order had Thrawn, say. Or maybe there are other dangers in that universe for her/Rebels characters to deal with.

On 1/15/2021 at 11:43 PM, DaveSumm said:

Klingons are played by black actors mostly, and were fairly blatant blackface in the Original series.

I thought that they were supposed to be "yellowface" in TOS? I.e. to evoke Mongols and generally "Asian hordes". Not that it was better, mind you.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:43 PM, DaveSumm said:

Klingons are played by black actors mostly?

I think this is more believed than actually true. Apart from Michael Dorn, Tony Todd and Michael Ansara (though he's Lebanese rather than black), the most prominent Klingons have all been played by white actors (JG Hertzler, Robert O'Reilly, Suzi Plakson, Mary Chieffo, John Colicos, albeit he was blackfaced a bit in TOS but not in DS9). The most prominent modern Klingon was Shazad Latif, ironically racebent the other way to play an albino Klingon (but of course 90% appearing as himself).

Archived