Questions Concerning Wyman Manderly

Floki of the Ironborn

Last we saw of him, Wyman had most of his chins cut open by a Frey sword. His maester is tending to him even as Roose Bolton orders the Freys and the Manderly forces out of Winterfell to go kill Stannis and his stranded army. 

My first question about Wyman is whether he'll still be in Winterfell in TWOW, or whether he's going out into the cold with his soldiers. So many people have theorised that Wyman will meet with Stannis and help him slaughter the Freys, but I don't see how that will realistically work. Wyman is no warrior, and he isn't the kind of man to lead from the front anymore. Plus, you don't just get over a slashed neck, especially if you're very obese and middle-aged. And it's not like Wyman will be able to give secret orders to all his bannermen on what to do; Stannis points out at one point that a commander wouldn't tell all his soldiers about future treachery, as the secret would be spilled immediately, and given the game that Wyman is playing, I doubt even six people know what his plans are for any given circumstance.

The second question is a bit more broad and speculative: do you think he'll survive the story or will he end up dying? If he does die, what sort of death do you think he'll realistically have?

1 hour ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Last we saw of him, Wyman had most of his chins cut open by a Frey sword. His maester is tending to him even as Roose Bolton orders the Freys and the Manderly forces out of Winterfell to go kill Stannis and his stranded army. 

My first question about Wyman is whether he'll still be in Winterfell in TWOW, or whether he's going out into the cold with his soldiers. So many people have theorised that Wyman will meet with Stannis and help him slaughter the Freys, but I don't see how that will realistically work. Wyman is no warrior, and he isn't the kind of man to lead from the front anymore. Plus, you don't just get over a slashed neck, especially if you're very obese and middle-aged. And it's not like Wyman will be able to give secret orders to all his bannermen on what to do; Stannis points out at one point that a commander wouldn't tell all his soldiers about future treachery, as the secret would be spilled immediately, and given the game that Wyman is playing, I doubt even six people know what his plans are for any given circumstance.

The second question is a bit more broad and speculative: do you think he'll survive the story or will he end up dying? If he does die, what sort of death do you think he'll realistically have?

I don't think Wyman is going to be leaving Winterfell with his troops, and I'm personally of the opinion that the Manderly levies are going to be caught in the middle of everything that Stannis has planned. He has no reason to spare the Manderly forces, since he thinks they've sided with the Boltons and executed Davos. He won't save them, and they'll have no idea what to expect. Whatever fallout happens between Wyman and Stannis depends.

As to your second question, I don't think Wyman is going to survive the story. He's not going to make it through the winter. And why should he have to? He's got his son and grandkids safe in White Harbour. There's a reason he was so bold with his insults against House Frey, he doesn't expect to live long, and he's happy to stick a finger in his enemies' eyes. And besides, winter isn't kind to someone like Wyman.

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

I don't think Wyman is going to be leaving Winterfell with his troops, and I'm personally of the opinion that the Manderly levies are going to be caught in the middle of everything that Stannis has planned. He has no reason to spare the Manderly forces, since he thinks they've sided with the Boltons and executed Davos. He won't save them, and they'll have no idea what to expect. Whatever fallout happens between Wyman and Stannis depends.

Who says Wyman couldn’t delegate? I’m sure there’s gotta be at least one person whom he can absolutely trust. Maybe Marlon Manderly came along to Winterfell, or maybe Robert Glover is there in disguise.

2 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

He's dead if he stays inside the walls.  Roose will see to that.  He will be on that battlefield if they have to put him on a size XXXL wagon.  Wyman will get caught in the trap and sink in the ice. 

Thankfully, GRRM isn't writing some Hollywood nonsense where a character is fit as a fiddle 5 minutes after a serious injury with nothing but a cool decorative scar to show for it. So, the answer to the first question is Wyman won't be riding out of Winterfell right away. As for the second, a personally think Wyman won't be surviving much longer. I think whatever plans he had are already in motion and he's now in reckless don't give a damn mode.

I like this, Floki.  We do know Wyman has been stabbed, but we don't know the extent of the injury.   We do know that Roose noted Manderly didn't bring any hostages to the wedding.  I'm leaning toward some sort of Roose elimination move with so many witnesses gone.  Roose is walking a very thin rope.  He can't kill Manderly outright, so he will do it sneaky like.  He makes nicer with the Freys and gets rid of a major political obstacle.  There is no downside to this for Roose.  I think Manderly is already dead.  But I am keeping my eyes on his badass green haired grand daughter.  

4 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Who says Wyman couldn’t delegate? I’m sure there’s gotta be at least one person whom he can absolutely trust. Maybe Marlon Manderly came along to Winterfell, or maybe Robert Glover is there in disguise.

First of all, there's no way that Robett Glover could stroll around Winterfell without being recognised. I don't care how well disguised he is, all these people just spent months with him on campaign, especially Roose Bolton. He'd recognise Robett. I'm not saying that Robett can't possibly be at Winterfell, I actually think he's the Ghost of Winterfell. But the only way Robett could be in Winterfell would be secretly. He would have to hide from almost everyone, operating in secret through stealth.

Secondly, how exactly is Wyman supposed to delegate when he's currently in dire medical condition? Roose sent out the army effective immediately, while Wyman is being frantically tended to by a maester. And even if Wyman isn't seriously injured, it's not like Roose is going to allow Wyman the chance to give secret orders to his subordinates.

3 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Wyman probably confided with wylis on his plans for house Manderly. If Wyman dies, he will have his son lead the Manderly forces to sit rickon on winterfell with wylis as regent. And probably married to a Manderly daughter.

It wouldn't be undeserved, having a Manderly become the Lady of Winterfell, but I pity any woman who has to be married to Rickon Stark. If the story goes the way I imagine it might go, he's going to be a savage wolf, full of grief and rage that he can't possibly process, raised by Free Folk and Stoneborn alongside a dangerous and nigh-feral direwolf. 

Whatever Wyman might have thought he could do with Rickon Stark, I suspect that GRRM will throw a monkey wrench into everything by making Rickon someone who won't play any games that other Northerners are playing. He's going to be a throwback to the savage North, the North which survived the Long Night and threw back the Others. Wyman's shown to be capable of savagery when he baked three Freys in a pie and ate several pieces himself. So I could imagine him surviving or dying. 

@Canon Claude & @James Steller, I happen to be listening to ADWD these days, so our big boy is fresh on the mind.   We can't underestimate Manderly's cunning.  He is a wicked smart and very careful man.  He made a point of showing up at Winterfell (shades of Harrenhal, if you ask me) with dead Freys and his own stores and not a single hostage.  There is also the matter of his own reckless abandon in going to Winterfell--he fully expects to die. With that in mind a guy like that would have contingency plans.  There is at least 1 person in the Manderly Camp who has the plan outside all the conspirators in the privy.  Manderly's main ambition was getting his son home and so he is.  Whatever else he has in mind will revolve around giving Roose Bolton the finger.  He's got nothing left to lose.   For all it may be worth, Gentlemen.   

9 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

The wound won't kill him.  It only cut skin and fat.  The jolly fat guy will survive long enough to see Rickon become the illegal lord of the north.  Rickon will not be legal because King's Landing and the rest of Westeros will not recognize his right.  

13 hours ago, Rondo said:

The wound won't kill him.  It only cut skin and fat.  The jolly fat guy will survive long enough to see Rickon become the illegal lord of the north.  Rickon will not be legal because King's Landing and the rest of Westeros will not recognize his right.  

I’m pretty sure that the rest of Westeros will be too busy worrying about half a dozen other things instead of who rules the North. To be honest, I don’t get why the Northmen didn’t split off ages ago. They’re barely involved with the rest of Westeros and nobody has a high opinion of the North anyway.

10 hours ago, Oumuamua said:

The north needs the south.  They only have me city and their farming season is shorter.  Greatjon was thinking with his nuts when he called for separation.  Cooler heads would see the wisdom of not separating.  

The North does not need the south, though. It's not like the North only survived because of the southern kingdoms. The North was literally the only kingdom to successfully fight off the Andal invasions. GRRM tends to favour the Valyrians and the First Men as superior peoples compared to the Andals. The First Men and the Valyrians both have strong ties to magic and bond with beasts normally considered dangerous. We see how the First Men can become wargs, while the Targaryens and Velaryons can ride dragons. The First Men rule in the North, and the North will halt the Others once again just as they did before. Much as I try to forget about the abomination, I firmly believe the North will become independent again by the end of GRRM's story.

Any serious wound has the potential to turn into a nasty infection.  So yes, yes he is in danger.  The cut can be shallow or deep.  It matters not.  Drogo was a super fit man in his prime and his wound still got infected.  But I am guessing he survives.  This is my opinion but I think George inserts himself in the story through his characters.  He'll either show love to Manderly and let him live or he dies heroically. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 4:26 AM, Floki of the Ironborn said:

The North does not need the south, though. It's not like the North only survived because of the southern kingdoms. The North was literally the only kingdom to successfully fight off the Andal invasions. GRRM tends to favour the Valyrians and the First Men as superior peoples compared to the Andals. The First Men and the Valyrians both have strong ties to magic and bond with beasts normally considered dangerous. We see how the First Men can become wargs, while the Targaryens and Velaryons can ride dragons. The First Men rule in the North, and the North will halt the Others once again just as they did before. Much as I try to forget about the abomination, I firmly believe the North will become independent again by the end of GRRM's story.

We disagree about that.  I mean, yes, the north may become independent because nobody in their right mind will want to stay there when the darkness covers the land.  Only the Starks in their dire wolf final form will remain.  

The north is not going to have food.  The only way for them to have that is to bring it from the south.  So yes, the north will need the south.  But something tells me Stark pride will get in the way of common sense.  

Yeah, seems like Wyman has just accepted he isn't going to live and wants to take as many Freys and Boltons down with him as he can. He's directly murdering them, stirring up conflict within their camp, and for all I know Wyman is thinking every bite of food he eats is a bite the Freys and Boltons won't get.  It wouldn't surprise me if he came up with some way to kill himself that causes a huge mess like setting himself on fire or something.

Archived