What if you were Aerys Targaryens the day after the starks "trial by combat"

Mrstrategy

1 hour ago, James West said:

I would not order Jon Arryn to kill Ned and Robert.  Instead, I would hire a Faceless Man or a Sorrowful Man to kill the two boys.  And then prepare a writ of attainder to dispossess the Baratheons and the Starks of their lands and give them to loyal lords. 

That's a definite improvement over what Aerys did. The difficulty with a question like this is it amounts to asking what a sane person would do if suddenly thrown into a paranoid person's mess. It's hard to answer that without immediately thinking, "Well, I wouldn't have made that mess in the first place." 

7 hours ago, Mrstrategy said:

What if you were Aerys Targaryen the day after the Starks(Rickard and Brandon) were killed in the "trial by combat"?what coukd you do to save the Targaryen dinasty and Aerys??

He could have stopped there.  Rickard was the head of the snake.   The leader of the southron conspiracy is smoking crispy and his heir is as blue as the sky.  That should be enough to make the other traitor, Robert, rethink his plans.  

A little more patience would have been the preferred method.  Keep Rickard and Brandon alive.   Invite Robert and Jon to the Red Keep and guarantee their safety.  Set up an ambush outside the Eyrie and blame it on bandits.  The excuse doesn't even have to be believable.  Rickard, Brandon, and Robert have to die to end the conspiracy for the good.  

Mobilize royal fleet just to make sure that nobody can sail into/from Vale without royal permission. Support loyalists in Vale to make sure that rebellion dies in Gulltown. If that city falls to rebels burn it down with wildfire. So potential leaders of rebellion should be either dead or without access to their own heartlands.

Start making deals with potential loyalists. After all as long Ned and Bobby are not in North or Stormlands their bannermen and potential allies like Tullys might not be very active. In fact if some of their power hungry vassals might think that they had good chances of rebelling against their own overlords some of them might even start their own campaigns. That should keep Benjen and Stannis busy enough so they cannot support rebels in Vale.....

7 hours ago, Rondo said:

He could have stopped there.  Rickard was the head of the snake.   The leader of the southron conspiracy is smoking crispy and his heir is as blue as the sky.  That should be enough to make the other traitor, Robert, rethink his plans.  

A little more patience would have been the preferred method.  Keep Rickard and Brandon alive.   Invite Robert and Jon to the Red Keep and guarantee their safety.  Set up an ambush outside the Eyrie and blame it on bandits.  The excuse doesn't even have to be believable.  Rickard, Brandon, and Robert have to die to end the conspiracy for the good.  

Not even that, just exchange Rickard for Ned (which Ned would accept) and now you have a hostage that blocks any attack by houses Stark, Arryn and Baratheons.

Brandon and Richard are gone.  I have Lyanna.  I would have left the matter there.  I would send Lyanna to be “fostered” overseas with a trusted ally.  The Sealord or an archon would do.  Failing that, foster her on Dragonstone.  

Brandon’s confession should have been signed.  I would advertise this to the other Great houses.  Manufacture the document if one doesn’t exist.  

15 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Brandon and Richard are gone

Valar Morghulis 

15 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

I have Lyanna

Correction, your rival son Rhaegar has her 

16 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

I would have left the matter there.  I would send Lyanna to be “fostered” overseas with a trusted ally.  The Sealord or an archon would do.  Failing that, foster her on Dragonstone.  

Since you don't have her, doesn't matter. But you don't 'foster' highborn ladies. Only males. It's called keeping a mistress. Or handmaiden to princess, Queen, ladies etc 

17 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Brandon’s confession should have been signed.  I would advertise this to the other Great houses.  Manufacture the document if one doesn’t exist.  

Very nice. 

19 hours ago, Mrstrategy said:

What if you were Aerys Targaryen the day after the Starks(Rickard and Brandon) were killed in the "trial by combat"?what coukd you do to save the Targaryen dinasty and Aerys??

Send troops to Gulltown to reinforce the Targ loyalists there, and marshal another army to attack the Stormlands. All this must be done quickly to prevent Robert and Jon Arryn from building up strength for a counterattack. Of course, all of this is what a sane person would do, and Aerys was not sane.

Assuming this is a dynasty worth saving (it ain't), Aerys needed to have on hand a cult of personality. A cult might give him more time and extend the clock. Make everyone into a liar so that no one knows what the truth is anymore. Turn everyone into an actor to create the illusion of consent. Execute anyone who fails to play along. Create a far-reaching apparatus of adulation and submissiveness so that Robert and Ned look like traitors resisting the "will of the people," expressed through Aerys himself.

29 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Assuming this is a dynasty worth saving (it ain't), Aerys needed to have on hand a cult of personality. A cult might give him more time and extend the clock. Make everyone into a liar so that no one knows what the truth is anymore. Turn everyone into an actor to create the illusion of consent. Execute anyone who fails to play along. Create a far-reaching apparatus of adulation and submissiveness so that Robert and Ned look like traitors resisting the "will of the people," expressed through Aerys himself.

I see what you did there.

So obviously sending your dumbass kid across the realm to divorce his illustrious wife and hook up with some wild loud mouth is a good step. Defending your base into basic criminality and treason is always the right thing to do when tryna stay in power. Aerys should have said something along these lines afterwards.

“So if you read my (trial by fire), and many people have done it, and I’ve seen it both in the papers and in the media, on (ravens), it’s been analyzed and people thought what I said was totally appropriate,” (Aerys) replied. “And if you look at what other people have said, (Tyrells) at a high level, about the riots during the summer, the horrible riots in (Harrenhall) and (Duskendale) and various other places, that was a real problem, what they said. But they’ve analyzed my (trial by fire) and my words and my final (judgment), my final (orders) and everybody to the T thought it was totally appropriate.”

Guys... Trampling on your gods given rights and traditions, totally appropriate

12 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I see what you did there.

So obviously sending your dumbass kid across the realm to divorce his illustrious wife and hook up with some wild loud mouth is a good step. Defending your base into basic criminality and treason is always the right thing to do when tryna stay in power. Aerys should have said something along these lines afterwards.

“So if you read my (trial by fire), and many people have done it, and I’ve seen it both in the papers and in the media, on (ravens), it’s been analyzed and people thought what I said was totally appropriate,” (Aerys) replied. “And if you look at what other people have said, (Tyrells) at a high level, about the riots during the summer, the horrible riots in (Harrenhall) and (Duskendale) and various other places, that was a real problem, what they said. But they’ve analyzed my (trial by fire) and my words and my final (judgment), my final (orders) and everybody to the T thought it was totally appropriate.”

Guys... Trampling on your gods given rights and traditions, totally appropriate

You know how in college debates, you had to argue FOR the position you actually oppose? Yeah, this is like that. Chill.

We're just playing Keep The Dictator Alive, a fun board game for the whole family.

Archived