US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

It must be hard planning for security when you cant trust the person next to you to fire at the other side and not you. I have no idea how they weed out the nut jobs from the milarary/police in such a short space of time. The potential intelligence leaks alone are mind blowing. 

I see the GOP has not wasted the ample time they've been given to make it about their topics. Free speach, overreacting Dems, communist newspapers...

Plus Dems like this one:  https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1/12/2008343/-Morning-Digest-Oregon-Democrat-who-likened-Trump-impeachment-to-a-lynching-could-face-primary

I mean, comparing the impeachment to a lynching, right after an acual lynching mob entered the Capitol...

4 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Question for you DC insider types.

My House rep (Ashley Hinson - R) has made a fuss about receiving a copy of China Daily. From what I can gather, it's a paper that is delivered to congress (just the house?) automatically. Apparently this has been happening for years and other congress members have raised concerns about it. It has been labeled communist propaganda by the State Dept.

So what is this all about? Why would they be receiving this? It seems like a strange thing to get, but I assume there is a reason (I don't automatically assume it's a good reason, however).

What other papers from around the world do the get? 

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

He’s gone, but his wife is still alive. I suspect a little thing like a Trump-led coup event won’t change her donation policy.

No, definitely not.  Miriam is actually a more avid Trumpist than Sheldon - she was a finance vice-chair of his inaugural committee.  Way to be a buzzkill Bird.

House GOP Won't Whip Votes Against Impeachment:  

While a vast majority of House Republicans are expected to oppose the article of impeachment tomorrow, there are expectations there could be as many as 10 — maybe more, maybe less — breaking ranks.

Rep. Liz Cheney, the number three in GOP leadership, called tomorrow's impeachment vote a "vote of conscience." She has not said how she would vote but she has been sharply critical of Trump's efforts to overturn the election.

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

What other papers from around the world do the get? 

Hustler, for one. At least they did 12 years ago. It wasn't out in public places or anything; but Larry Flynt made a point of ensuring each edition was mailed to every office.

56 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

After years of closing lines and brands, GM just announced a new brand name, to sell electric vehicles, commercial vehicles.

And what manly name would you pick to sell commercial electric vehicles?

Brightdrop.

That should work.

Well, its first customer is Fedex (and I presume UPS is to follow), so it sounds more like a B2B enterprise rather than something that is for the general public. And, with the intended customer in mind, the name makes a little more sense (its making EV delivery trucks, basically).

6 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I see the GOP has not wasted the ample time they've been given

Yeah I'm getting quite frustrated with this day-by-day piecemeal process the House Dems are currently doing which only serves to highlight the archetypal complaints about Congress.  I especially do not get why they felt the need to spread out the vote calling on Pence to invoke the 25th into two days (yesterday and today).  The point of impeachment should be to underline the necessity of immediacy and outrage, this directly undermines that.  As a political strategy I'm not sure if it's too cute by half or just out of touch (or both).  But just put the damn vote on the floor.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

No, definitely not.  Miriam is actually a more avid Trumpist than Sheldon - she was a finance vice-chair of his inaugural committee.  Way to be a buzzkill Bird.

House GOP Won't Whip Votes Against Impeachment:  

I'd probably take the under on 10. But still, its pretty noteworthy that they aren't whipping against it.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I'm getting quite frustrated with this day-by-day piecemeal process the House Dems are currently doing which only serves to highlight the archetypal complaints about Congress.  I especially do not get why they felt the need to spread out the vote calling on Pence to invoke the 25th into two days (yesterday and today).  The point of impeachment should be to underline the necessity of immediacy and outrage, this directly undermines that.  As a political strategy I'm not sure if it's too cute by half or just out of touch (or both).  But just put the damn vote on the floor.

They wont really want to impeach, im guessing. 

1 minute ago, Relic said:

They wont really want to impeach, im guessing. 

Well, I can't read their minds, but they are definitely gonna do it tomorrow.  So if you're gonna do it anyway I think it's pretty damn stupid (and undercutting of the entire point) to wait.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yes, it was completely unnecessary after Pence not even talking to them on the phone last week. (Had he had a change of heart re: the 25th, he could have contacted them at any time after.) Do they WANT to lose? (Momentum, respect, elections...)

Oh, and T has now made a statement before his flight to the wall or wherever: witch hunt... Pelosi... impeachment makes people very angry!

Business as usual I guess.

Officer Sicknick, btw., was a T supporter. Cue Alanis Morrissette...

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Exactly.  Delay hurts them.  This is urgent this isn’t politics or for political effect.

Fucking move on this.

Just heard on the TV the House Dems are scrambling to get members back in town which means the vote on the 25th might not take place til late tonight (the reporter said 10:00).  :rolleyes:  Fucking book an earlier flight.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just heard on the TV the House Dems are scrambling to get members back in town which means the vote on the 25th might not take place til late tonight (the reporter said 10:00).  :rolleyes:  Fucking book an earlier flight.

Do members of Congress have no sense of urgency?

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I mean, I try to get the human aspect as much as possible and this was a scheduled trip home after having to stay in town for much (if not all) of the holiday break.  Not to mention, ya know, after having to endure a siege.  But c'mon.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Does it matter too much? You could quibble about what charges they might have a stronger chance of proving in court but does anyone really think they'll get enough Republican votes in the Senate for it to matter either way? It's really more of a symbolic demonstration of what Congress should be doing in the face of such a palpably unfit/corrupt President as Trump rather than any expectation it's actually going to produce results. 

I would say it can matter. I don’t think Democrats are impeaching Trump mainly for symbolic show of how congress is supposed to act, but in hopes that it would intensify Republican in-fighting ahead of the midterms. 

Trump being impeached for election tampering in a Republican state and trying to pressure his Vice President who may try to run for and win political office again are charges that would force republicans to damage other republicans.

Either they could acknowledge that Pence and the Secretary of State of Georgia  could not legally do what Trump had demanded, and thus Trump committed a crime or deny it and frame Pence and the Republicans of Georgia  as simply having refused to legally do something that would have given Trump the presidency.

And I do think many of them are worried about infighting hurting them in Georgia particularly. No one in the senate objected to the election results in Georgia 

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

I can't even...

I can’t say I’m mad at this. US Prisoners having accommodations for their diet due to their religion isn’t a new thing nor should be seen as a particularly outrageous thing.

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I mean, i have zero faith in any of these people. Their "sense of urgency" has been on display this year with the many many stimulus checks working class americans got during covid. Oh, wait. 

Archived