US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

I don’t know what revelation they expect to hit Pence to cause him to evoke the 25th if a mob calling for his lynching failed to animate this puddle of watery curds. If he was disturbed, he shares Susan Collins’ horror-buff penchant for being unsettled. Maybe if an overwhelming majority of the GOP approved the measure, but the more time passes, the more their goldfish brains are willing to forget and forgive (if they even placed blame in the first place) Trump for his role.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, we talk about politics and the economy,  the environment, climate policy, climate deniers, Biden’s policies, rejoining the Paris treaty etc etc, this does seem like the right place. What thread would I post it? The Good News thread? The Small Things thread?

I would have given it its own new thread myself. Obviously YMMV.  But trade names don't seem to really fit in with any political aspects of the economy to me. Unless GM was going to use Trump, Biden, or something else obviously political as a trade name.

Carry on.

And Representative Mondaire Jones of New York. member of the Demcratic House Leadership Team, learned about the "delaying impeachment for 100 days or so" plans from the news... Oy. No wonder that most of them advertised for impeachment to, you know, remove him as son as possible.

9 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

So the attitude seems to be, ‘If I can’t get a pardon, then nobody else should get one either.'

Booooo! And here I was looking forward to seeing the next bunch of murderous war criminals whining to the press at the injustice of their convictions whilst praising Glorious Leader for recognising that the lives of brown babies don't really matter.

20 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

OK, but this sounds good:

So the attitude seems to be, ‘If I can’t get a pardon, then nobody else should get one either.'

Spockydog's sarcasm aside, this is fabulous news! But he probably said that in a fit of pique and we'll see hundreds getting pardons before he's gone.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

But he probably said that in a fit of pique and we'll see hundreds getting pardons before he's gone.

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath that he's actually gonna listen to his lawyers in the end.

Yeah, who's taking bets he'll issue a blanket pardon for the little Capitol sit-in that got a bit out of hand?

This is an ongoing coup. (If they needed any encouragement, T practically spelled it out: Impeachment will make them very angry!)

Whatever happens in DC or one of the state capitals or wherever... GOP and Fox will spin it as the Dem's fault. With their impeachment they sowed division, while we wanted unity and healing!

FBI report warned of ‘war’ at Capitol, contradicting claims there was no indication of looming violence

"A situational information report approved for release the day before riot painted a dire portrait of dangerous plans, including individuals sharing a map of the complex’s tunnels, and possible rally points for would-be conspirators to meet up" (...)

‘Be ready to fight. Congress needs to hear glass breaking, doors being kicked in, and blood from their BLM and Pantifa slave soldiers being spilled. Get violent. Stop calling this a march, or rally, or a protest. Go there ready for war. We get our President or we die. NOTHING else will achieve this goal.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/capitol-riot-fbi-intelligence/2021/01/12/30d12748-546b-11eb-a817-e5e7f8a406d6_story.html

There's going to be a ton of pardons. Trump will never purposely let any advantage or privilege go, even if it's not monetary. In fact, he's probably working out how to monetize it in his final days.

Deutsche Bank joins companies cutting ties with Donald Trump
Bank had propped up Trump Organization for years despite being sued by president but acted after Capitol attack

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/12/deutsche-bank-severs-ties-with-donald-trump

Deutsche Bank became the latest large company to cut ties with Donald Trump, with the firm that has propped up the Trump Organization for two decades reportedly announcing it would no longer do business with the disgraced president.

The German bank’s move – reported by the New York Times – follows Wednesday’s deadly attack on the US Capitol building by a mob of Trump supporters. The number of corporations disassociating themselves from Trump is now turning into an avalanche.

Deutsche Bank has been Trump’s most important lender. The Trump Organization, fronted by his two older sons, owes the bank about $340m in outstanding loans. After a series of bankruptcies in the 1990s, it was the only bank willing to give Trump money.

14 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Has L. Lin Wood been visited by the secret service? Given the events leading up to his poot, that was a pretty obvious death threat against Pence, which is not protected speech.

Well, this is terrifying. Good production values though.

I saw this, downloaded from Parler shortly before shutdown, and described it here. 

This shouldn't be on Youtube.  All this stuff, including information gathered about their planning for the next days and weeks has to be blacked out by ALL MEDIA.

As for Pelosi et al having no sense of urgency -- entirely opposite.  They are seeing ever more videos that show graphically how very bad this was -- far worse than the initial videos indicated.  More extreme violence committed by the mob upon people is revealed every day.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/arts/television/capitol-riot-graphic-videos.html

They remain terrified, and more so every day, that it was so close that they may well have been captured and even killed.  Of course, they should have moving like this years ago, because violence not responded to with consequences only increases the violence -- as we see with the cops et. al and the peaceful BLM protests, and the cop killings of Black people sleeping in their own beds, inhabiting their own apartments, etc.

So, I’m no fancy-pants law nerd, but isn’t handing out pardons to himself and his co-conspirators maybe a bad idea for Trump? Giving himself a pardon is just daring prosecutors to act, and giving his henchmen pardons strips them of their 5th amendment protections. 

1 minute ago, Myshkin said:

So, I’m no fancy-pants law nerd, but isn’t handing out pardons to himself and his co-conspirators maybe a bad idea for Trump? Giving himself a pardon is just daring prosecutors to act, and giving his henchmen pardons strips them of their 5th amendment protections. 

When has he ever faced serious consequences for anything he does?

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Probably a bad idea to pardon himself, probably illegal, but I fully expect his last act  to be pardons for himself and his wretched spawn. Whether he leaves Ghouliani and others to hang is up in the air.

Third member of congress tests positive due to being incarcerated with maskless rethug members.

January 6th is this round's Fort Sumter, one may speculate. Now, as then, it's all about white supremacy and racism.  it's not about them losing ground, it's about them seeing Black people and others gaining ground.

Archived