US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

48 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

My guess is that there will be cultists showing up, but not nearly as many as did on the 6th. They’ll also decide that peaceful protest is the best path forward once they see how many guns are pointed at them.

ETA: I think violence at state capitals is much more likely than violence in D.C.

That's my (based on nothing but my gut) read of the situation too. There are a LOT of national guard and police in DC right now, and it'll be a lot more by this weekend. And Gen. Milley the Joint Chiefs put out this statement this afternoon:

In literally the second sentence they say "the U.S. military will obey all lawful orders from civilian leadership" ; followed by a condemnation of what happened on Jan. 6 and a reminder that Biden will become the commander-in-chief on Jan 20. To me, that reads as a statement that they'll ignore any attempt by Trump to get them to stand down.

In other news, hmmm...https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/us/mcconnell-impeachment-trump-mc.html

Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, has told associates that he believes President Trump committed impeachable offenses and that he is pleased that Democrats are moving to impeach him, believing that it will make it easier to purge him from the party, according to people familiar with his thinking. The House is voting on Wednesday to formally charge Mr. Trump with inciting violence against the country.

At the same time, Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the minority leader and one of Mr. Trump’s most steadfast allies in Congress, has asked other Republicans whether he should call on Mr. Trump to resign in the aftermath of the riot at the Capitol last week, according to three Republican officials briefed on the conversations.

I don't think the senate comes back early, even though Schumer found the procedural way McConnell could make it happen. But I don't think McConnell would let this story leak unless he's sending out a trial balloon to see what the reaction might be if the senate actually convicted. And later in the story...

Mr. McConnell, Republican of Kentucky, has indicated that he wants to see the specific article of impeachment that the House is set to approve on Wednesday, which is expected to draw support from as many as a dozen Republicans, potentially including Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the party’s No. 3 in the House. But he has made clear in private discussions that he believes now is the moment to move on the weakened lame duck, whom he blames for causing Republicans to lose the Senate.

On Monday, Mr. Biden telephoned Mr. McConnell to ask whether it was possible to set up a dual track that would allow the Senate to confirm Mr. Biden’s cabinet nominees and hold a Senate trial at the same time, according to officials briefed on the conversation who disclosed it on condition of anonymity. Far from avoiding the topic of impeaching Mr. Trump, Mr. McConnell said it was a question for the Senate parliamentarian, and promised Mr. Biden a quick answer.

Apparently, in his rant at Alamo, TX, T talked about the 25th Amendment being used ...on Joe Biden.

I'm not watching it, but I'm sure it's on YT.

Excerpt

https://www.politicususa.com/2021/01/12/trump-texas-meltdownl.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=trump-texas-meltdownl

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

There's going to be a ton of pardons. Trump will never purposely let any advantage or privilege go, even if it's not monetary. In fact, he's probably working out how to monetize it in his final days.

Deutsche Bank joins companies cutting ties with Donald Trump
Bank had propped up Trump Organization for years despite being sued by president but acted after Capitol attack

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/12/deutsche-bank-severs-ties-with-donald-trump

As I said elsewhere, this is a big ol nothing. They're owed $340m. That is their problem,  not Trump's. They're not going to stop doing business with him unless it becomes catastrophic for them to do so - they'd have to lose way more than $340m to do it.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

I keep going back and forth trying to decide if the turn-out for the 17th or inauguration or whatever MAGA decides on is going to be an actual thing or not. On one hand, I don't want to underestimate them and I know there are a lot of them. On the other hand - DC is going to be so locked down and they will not messing around with security (hopefully) - are they really stupid enough to think they can achieve their goals before getting a bullet in the head? I don't have a good sense of what preparations either side has and how far they are actually willing to go.

Regardless of the size of the crowd, the ones that show up to "do battle", or whatever, they're going to the capital with the idea in their heads that they're going to help be installing Trump back into office and there is going to be zero bad repercussions for them, only parades and other congratulations. 

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Gee, I sure hope that nice stay-at-home daddy won't get too harsh a sentence. Just like his nice friends. And the not-so-nice ones were probably temporarily insane. Or antifa.

They were transmutated by God into antifa just for anything violent they don't remember doing but for which we have witnesses and have them on camera, and how dare you infringe on their religious beliefs!  Clearly you do not wish to be raptured with the rest of the patriots!

I'm going to be incredibly amused if Trump ends up going down because someone out-Trumped Trump and betrayed him when it was valuable to do so.

(I don't give this much hope, mind you. But it would be delicious)

Liz Cheney to vote to impeach:

Cheney: "The President of the United States summoned his mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack. Everything that followed was his doing ... There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution. I will vote to impeach the President."

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Unless you're gonna arrest and detain them immediately after they get off the plane I really don't get this logic.  Let's let them fly back to DC so...we know they're coming?

As opposed to not knowing their coming and not being able to do anything, including surveil them? Yes. Categorically. I'll go out on a limb and say that's better. 

If Liz is voting to impeach I suspect the numbers could be higher than expected. His actions today, in denying he deserves any blame for what happened, is only going to further alienate him from the "adults" in the party.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

If Liz is voting to impeach I suspect the numbers could be higher than expected. His actions today, in denying he deserves any blame for what happened, is only going to further alienate him from the "adults" in the party.

If Cheney is going for it, I don't think it'll just be 2 or 3 members. I'd still be very surprised if it was more than a dozen though. She's been more outspoken than most Republicans about Trump the past couple weeks.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

If Cheney is going for it, I don't think it'll just be 2 or 3 members. I'd still be very surprised if it was more than a dozen though. She's been more outspoken than most Republicans about Trump the past couple weeks.

Does a higher number move the needle for McConnell at all?  Get him to bring it to the floor by the weekend, say?

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Does a higher number move the needle for McConnell at all?  Get him to bring it to the floor by the weekend, say?

Probably not. In a fantasy world where a majority of House Republicans went for it; sure. But whether it's 2 or 12 or 30, I doubt that makes a difference.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

64 Republicans broke from their party in the PA certification vote, which was the smaller number of the two. I'd put the over/under at 25% of them, so 16. That seems like a reasonable number. The Senate may act differently as they seem far more interested in getting the stink of Trump off of them.

I just opened Youtube and for some reason the algorithm threw at me a "Blaze Media" video from 30 minutes ago with a ludicrous clickbait title and quoting Trump with "Be careful what you wish for" towards Biden. The clicks already in the tens of thousands and I took a peek at the comments. Holy shit that is scary... A Youtube echochamber where every third comment is advocating civil war and to stop elections "because the system is broken anyway". Yeah... that was enough internet for me today...

Archived