US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

18 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

As opposed to not knowing their coming and not being able to do anything, including surveil them?

So, after they get off the plane they're gonna surveil them and do what exactly?  To what end?  Hope they catch them in the act of committing some other crime?  Lead them to the MAGA lair?  You're still not making much sense.

18 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Does a higher number move the needle for McConnell at all?  Get him to bring it to the floor by the weekend, say?

First McConnell has to agree to put the Senate back in session.  They there has to be a "trial."  Nothing's getting to the floor by the weekend, even if he was completely aggressive about convicting Trump.

55 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

I'm going to be incredibly amused if Trump ends up going down because someone out-Trumped Trump and betrayed him when it was valuable to do so.

(I don't give this much hope, mind you. But it would be delicious)

My immediate thought was, "Ahh, so Tywin Lannister finally decided he's done with the Mad King and it's time to sack King's Landing."

12 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I kinda don’t think so.

It may loosen their power. 

Democrats only hold slight majorities in the senate and house. If one democratic senator in a state with a Republican governor dies Biden would be effectively gridlocked.

Oh, I didn't read your previous post properly! Recklessly, yes, absolutely.

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If Liz is voting to impeach I suspect the numbers could be higher than expected. His actions today, in denying he deserves any blame for what happened, is only going to further alienate him from the "adults" in the party.

They are afraid of Trump winning the GOP nomination only to lose again in 2024, and possibly even 2028 . Sure, that means that whoever goes against him might have trouble in 2024, but considering the economic recovery that will come with the vaccine becoming available worldwide, 2024 is a likely defeat for the Republicans anyway. Getting rid of the stench of Trump benefits them in the long run, they already got what they wanted from him.

Plus, some the donors already indicated they won't stand for that kind of non-sense.

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

So, after they get off the plane they're gonna surveil them and do what exactly?  To what end?  Hope they catch them in the act of committing some other crime?  Lead them to the MAGA lair?  You're still not making much sense.

If they are a person of interest and the governement is unable to actually limit their movements, gee, why would you want to keep an eye on them?

The logic was explained in the post that kicked this whole discussion off. A no fly list is actually not that useful when there are other alternatives and possibly detrimental when those alternatives are slightly more difficult (for the traveler) but leave a thinner paper trail.

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yeah all this 'no-fly list' stuff is security theater, nothing more. I understand its supposed to limit your mobility but it really doesnt. The one thing flying does is make you go through security, creates a paper trail, and actually significantly increases your travel time for moderate distances. On the other hand, you could drive from point A to point B in this country without leaving a trace anywhere - borrow a friend's car, pay for cash everywhere etc. Putting people of no-fly zones will just make them do the latter and you have no way of knowing what they are up to.

14 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

They are afraid of Trump winning the GOP nomination only to lose again in 2024, and possibly even 2028 . Sure, that means that whoever goes against him might have trouble in 2024, but considering the economic recovery that will come with the vaccine becoming available worldwide, 2024 is a likely defeat for the Republicans anyway. Getting rid of the stench of Trump benefits them in the long run, they already got what they wanted from him.

Plus, some the donors already indicated they won't stand for that kind of non-sense.

Way, way too early to predict 2024.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They must be identified and expelled immediately. 

Not only did Ali say he was organizing a rally on the 6th with 3 congressmen, he also said to expect a big surprise. 

Remember when we were talking about strange allies among religious groups, was it you who said wait until you see Jews for Jesus? Watching Ali’s video on CNN all I could think of was, wtf is this, Muslims for Trump? Maybe the guy’s a Christian, I don’t know, but I was astonished at the idea the racist Trump crowd was being organized by this guy.

Received this alert earlier:

This is an important message from the District of Columbia AlertDC system.

MPD reports there will intermittent road closures today at the following locations due to security fence installation. Please use caution in the area.

1. 18th Street at Constitution Avenue, NW

2. 17th Street at Independence Avenue, SW

3. 11th Street at Independence Avenue, SW

4. 12th Street at Independence Avenue, SW

5. 7th Street at Madison Drive, NW

6. 7th Street at Jefferson Drive, SW

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

If they are a person of interest and the governement is unable to actually limit their movements, gee, why would you want to keep an eye on them?

Once they get off the plane the government is still "unable to actually limit their movements" in the exact same way they were before they got on the plane.  All you accomplished was allowing them to fly to their intended destination.  You're acting like other than flying, these people are entirely off the grid.  Obviously if you're able to put them on a no fly list they've already been identified and the authorities have information on them.  If the feebs are intent on/have the resources to surveil them, they can do so without allowing them to fly.  Your logic simply makes no sense to me, no need to be a dick about it.

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Not only did Ali say he was organizing a rally on the 6th with 3 congressmen, he also said to expect a big surprise. 

He better not let me down, because a big surprise in my book ranges from Sam Jackson getting eaten by a shark to a T-Rex stealth killing a raptor after getting into the command center despite there being no fucking door it could actually fit through.

Remember when we were talking about strange allies among religious groups, was it you who said wait until you see Jews for Jesus? Watching Ali’s video on CNN all I could think of was, wtf is this, Muslims for Trump? Maybe the guy’s a Christian, I don’t know, but I was astonished at the idea the racist Trump crowd was being organized by this guy.

Irrational hate breeds strange bedfellows. 

Archived