US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

I’ve been lucky enough that only one small branch of my family are Trumpers, and they’re Orange County Trumpers, so they’ve been pretty much laying low since the 6th, but I did just get into on FB with a friend I’ve known since I was 12. This guy and me have actually been through a lot of shit together, growing up as expats in Mexico, but now he can eat shit and die as far as I’m concerned.

My family largely hates Trump, but I do have a few really close friends who I love who are Republicans. We hardly ever talk about politics, so at least we have that. We just respect each others differences and leave it at that.

That being said, earlier today on Youtube, I had an argument with a Trump apologist, who basically said nothing about Wednesdays actions was a coup. He/she said the rest of the world just viewed what happened as a really bad riot. Naturally I called him/her a crazy person, and stated that when I eventually do teach this in history class, I will make sure my students know Trump for the tyrant that he is.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I

Democrats only hold slight majorities in the senate and house. If one democratic senator in a state with a Republican governor dies Biden would be effectively gridlocked.

We did surveillance and arrest of insurrectionsts during the War of the Rebellion, declared Matial Law in many places, suspended habeas corpus, and shut down newspapers that openly supported the southern insurrectionists, soliciting all sorts of aid and assistance as well as encouraging them kill Union figures, and  the southern supporters were expelled from Congress and the Senate. They weren't impeached. They were expelled. And so should he.  Expelled for sedition and treason.  All backed by the Union military.

Don't keep trying to fool yourselves. This is war.  It's been going on in many forms for a very long time.  But now we have it violently out in the open they are seeking to take over all of it, just as as back in 1861 with the take-over of Fort Sumter.

3 minutes ago, sifth said:

That being said, earlier today on Youtube, I had an argument with a Trump apologist, who basically said nothing about Wednesdays actions was a coup. He/she said the rest of the world just viewed what happened as a really bad riot. Naturally I called him/her a crazy person, and stated that when I eventually o teach this in history class, I will make sure my students know Trump for the tyrant that is.

I think Trump is a moronic, egotistical, evil piece of shit. I think anyone who voted for him is insane. But I don't see that mob riot as a coup, there is no way they were ever going to be able to seize power or control of the government. 

1 minute ago, Makk said:

I think Trump is a moronic, egotistical, evil piece of shit. I think anyone who voted for him is insane. But I don't see that mob riot as a coup, there is no way they were ever going to be able to seize power or control of the government. 

That's a naive and ignorant take. They were literally trying to stop the certification of the election. Trump, and a lot of his chuds, evidently believe there was some way to make Pence change the results. He even tweeted, right before the march of the Capitol started, that Pence had let them down by going along with his Constitutional obligations.

Being too dumb to know how the legal processes work does not mean you weren't trying to overthrow the government.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

That's a naive and ignorant take. They were literally trying to stop the certification of the election. Trump, and a lot of his chuds, evidently believe there was some way to make Pence change the results. He even tweeted, right before the march of the Capitol started, that Pence had let them down by going along with his Constitutional obligations.

Being too dumb to know how the legal processes work does not mean you weren't trying to overthrow the government.

Honestly, if they were able to seize the actual electoral college votes that would have likely caused a fairly long delay in certifying. Even worse, they could have weirdly modified them. 

It's not really a coup, honestly - it's an act of sedition or insurrection. But that's just pedantry. 

29 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I’ve been lucky enough that only one small branch of my family are Trumpers, and they’re Orange County Trumpers, so they’ve been pretty much laying low since the 6th, but I did just get into on FB with a friend I’ve known since I was 12. This guy and me have actually been through a lot of shit together, growing up as expats in Mexico, but now he can eat shit and die as far as I’m concerned.

Saw that.  That shit was deranged.  I cannot fathom how people are so stupid, yet I can...

18 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

And hanged from the noose their co-conspirators set up.

Too fast, and where is your capitalistic spirit, Dante? I'm opting to force them to bareknuckle box Mike Tyson with no rules. We'll sell it on PPV for $16.21. 

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

By killing him? The bolded does not make it a coup. It's an insurrection or a revolt. I don't believe there was any real unity to the mobs objective other than to cause chaos. I repeat, there was absolutely no way they could take control of the government. It was violent petulance.  

7 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

[mod] Can we please avoid yet another tedious discussion of whether this was "a coup from the Coup region of France" or just sparkling insurrection? This thread moves too quickly as it is. If you're dying to have this fight, please take it to PM. Thank you. [/mod]

The word play game is strong here, X.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Too fast, and where is your capitalistic spirit, Dante? I'm opting to force them to bareknuckle box Mike Tyson with no rules. We'll sell it on PPV for $16.21. 

I'm just assuming the gallows were built along the same standards that Trump chuds do everything -- and would lead to very slow, painful deaths.

11 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Saw that.  That shit was deranged.  I cannot fathom how people are so stupid, yet I can...

Well, dude did crack his head open on a reef when we were kids, so perhaps that had something to do with. Although there may be a genetic component; his brother is a prepper who literally lives in a shipping container on a piece of swampland in eastern Texas.

20 minutes ago, Makk said:

By killing him? The bolded does not make it a coup. It's an insurrection or a revolt. I don't believe there was any real unity to the mobs objective other than to cause chaos. I repeat, there was absolutely no way they could take control of the government. It was violent petulance.  

If the mob got into the rooms where reps and senators are they absolutely could have done this.  Instead of beating one cop to death this could easily have been a pile of bodies of MOCs.  The difference is a few minutes time to evacuate rooms (not people, thank you to The Wire writing staff) and secure doorways.

This was pretty close to being a lot worse.  

To the bolded, I'll say it is explicitly about as wrong as you can be    Whether you think there is a rational path to an objective, as soon as you start trying to kill people doesn't really matter if they are trying to take control of government vs sow chaos.

12 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

[mod] Can we please avoid yet another tedious discussion of whether this was "a coup from the Coup region of France" or just sparkling insurrection? This thread moves too quickly as it is. If you're dying to have this fight, please take it to PM. Thank you. [/mod]

sorry just saw this after my last post

Archived