US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I'm starting to think that it is possible that McConnell really does want Trump removed and barred from office, because he sees Trump being a weight on Senate Republicans in 2022 and 2024 that cannot be tolerated.  I somehow really doubt that he will actually vote to convict Trump unless he has the votes in the Senate to remove.  The idea of the vote going like 55-45 with McConnell coming up short just doesn't sound like him. 

I mean, Trump is directly responsible for him becoming Minority Leader. Apparently they haven't even spoken in weeks.

Fuck them both, though.

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm starting to think that it is possible that McConnell really does want Trump removed and barred from office, because he sees Trump being a weight on Senate Republicans in 2022 and 2024 that cannot be tolerated.  I somehow really doubt that he will actually vote to convict Trump unless he has the votes in the Senate to remove.  The idea of the vote going like 55-45 with McConnell coming up short just doesn't sound like him. 

Oh for sure. It's either going to be a conviction or just the Dems + maybe Romney/Sasse/Murkwoski.

I imagine part of the reason no announcement has been made yet is that McConnell is still seeing if he can get firm commitments from 18 Republicans (assuming this is before Warnock/Ossoff are seated) to convict.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I'm not sure the deployment of so many of the National Guard is a great look, really.

Isn't it a bit like someone wearing a big, bulky nappy because they're afraid that the giant festering boil on their arse might erupt at any moment, rather than lancing it and getting on with things with an unspoiled trouserline?

We're so far beyond at this point. Whatever happens with Trump will only further ignite his supporters and the people who just want to eradicate Democrats/liberals/the left etc from the face of the earth. 

I will say, extra 'fortification' of DC looks like neglect of state capitals, like nearby Annapolis* in Maryland and Richmond in Virginia. 

*Though I can't really imagine insurrection via yacht. 

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

*Though I can't really imagine insurrection via yacht. 

I dunno. Don't you remember all the Trump boat parades last summer?

Over-privileged white people are in their natural element out on the water.

Here's how I want it to play out, cribbing from The Ten Commandments.

Pelosi: Let the name of Donald Trump be stricken from every book and tablet, stricken from all pylons and obelisks, stricken from every monument of America. Let the name of Donald Trump be unheard and unspoken, erased from the memory of men for all time.

McConnell:  So let it be written, so let it be done.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

Oh for sure. It's either going to be a conviction or just the Dems + maybe Romney/Sasse/Murkwoski.

I think Toomey is a possibility (pretty much solely because he's a lame duck) but yeah.

8 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

I will say, extra 'fortification' of DC looks like neglect of state capitals, like nearby Annapolis* in Maryland and Richmond in Virginia. 

This was my thought. Again, it feels to me like violence at state capitals is more likely. Are all the National Guard troops being sent to DC gonna leave some state capitals undermanned? California is about as blue as it gets, but we still have more republicans than almost any other state, and a lot of them live fairly close to Sacramento. I hope our National Guard is out in force.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

This was my thought. Again, it feels to me like violence at state capitals is more likely. Are all the National Guard troops being sent to DC gonna leave some state capitals undermanned? California is about as blue as it gets, but we still have more republicans than almost any other state, and a lot of them live fairly close to Sacramento. I hope our National Guard is out in force.

The California National Guard has over 23,000 service members. I haven't heard of any in DC yet (just east coast states so far), though I wouldn't be surprised if a unit or two end up here for the inauguration itself. There should be more than enough in the state to protect Sacramento, so long as Newsom activates them as needed.

AOC's narration of what happened (see @Zorral 's post) is really harrowing. And then she goes on to rip'em a new one. The cabinet members who resigned, for starters.

When I grow up, I want to be ilke her. Or at least marry someone like her.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/trump-impeachment-house-vote-2021-01-13/

CBS News reported, “A person close to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell tells CBS News that the leader supports impeaching Mr. Trump but will not publicly discuss his views until the House formally sends the article of impeachment to the Senate for a trial.”

My guess is they know something even worse than what we already know, the things the FBI alluded to yesterday. (Not that what we know shouldn't be already more than enough.)

2 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/trump-impeachment-house-vote-2021-01-13/

CBS News reported, “A person close to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell tells CBS News that the leader supports impeaching Mr. Trump but will not publicly discuss his views until the House formally sends the article of impeachment to the Senate for a trial.”

And yet...

Confirmed by McConnell's press secretary, who RTed it.

2 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Can’t Matt Gaetz simply get sick and die?

He is a Florida man, so he’s more likely to die by alligator. After which, that alligator will be appointed to fill his seat.

Archived