US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

And yet...

Confirmed by McConnell's press secretary, who RTed it.

Yeah, guess yesterday's trial balloon didn't work out. Or he thinks he needs more time to work over his caucus if there's any chance of getting the votes.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Republicans crying for unity is the exclamation point on their sad joke.

Matt Gaetz called for unity and then literally referred to "the Biden crime family."

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Many People are really to quick to think many moderate Republican in congress would abandon Trump.

Mcconel would have effectively destroyed his party if he actually garnered the votes to impeach Trump in the senate.

Don't count me among those people. I see nothing moderate in supporting those voter fraud lies for weeks until it doesn't suit you no more anyway.

I don't even find it very honorable to be oh so sort-of anti Trump but gladly use him for your own goals, like ramming through an originalist SC judge.

So I don't think there *are* any moderate Republicans left.

Well, maybe that newbie who went to the National Guard and apologized for his "asshole colleagues" re: weapon controls.

And I really hope this will destroy the GOP.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Republicans crying for unity is the exclamation point on their sad joke.

It's so fucking disingenuous, and frankly Democrats need to stop playing into it. There will be a time for healing, but that is after those who perpetrated this catastrophe that was the last four years are punished, whether that means legal charges, or if it means paying a political price for their actions.

Semi relevant tweet.

I had to shut off CNN because I was going to punch my lovely new tv. Some guy named Tom McLintock from California did it for me, saying what a petty, vile disgrace it was to try to impeach a president with 8 days left in his term. He also quoted Trump as saying he told the crowd to proceed peacefully to the Capitol, and it was the lunatic fringe who attacked the building. That is one of the reasons why Trump is so vile, his nudge-nudge wink-wink at work.

Trump actually spoke for an hour on the 6th. I just tried to read the transcript of what he said, and my lord, was it ever a crazy, rambling attack on all his enemies.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yeah, guess yesterday's trial balloon didn't work out. Or he thinks he needs more time to work over his caucus if there's any chance of getting the votes.

Wasn't that like always the likeliest outcome?

My outside reading of the situation has always been, if that thing goes before the senate, it would split the Republican caucus. And Moscow Mitch won't let that happen on his watch. That was one of the positive side effects of the Democrats pushing for it. And the Republicans crying it dividing the country is just GOP speak for dividing our party. In a GOP dictionary, the words party and country are interchangeable, with a stronger emphasis lying on the word party.

Anyway, I got sidetracked. What I wanted to say is, when this thing eventually gets before the senate (rather sooner than later), what will Murkowski (or Romney) do, when the vast majority of their colleagues vote to let the orange one walk, yet again. Murkowski implied she would leave the party. But it's not so much about the individual senators, but rather about the part of the electorate they represent. The drawback in more purple states could really hurt the turtle's underlings there. They have to piss off one part of their electorate, no matter how they vote. Convict, and make the MAGAts mad(der), or acquit and alienate the moderate further, and risk pushing them further into the independent-democrat camp. Personally, I hope Ted's toast come the next election. [insert prediction of Jace making a Charlie Brown joke here].

5 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

"We need unity and healing" is the newest empty platitude.

Not that new. They were singing that song at the end of the second GWB term. I was in Oklahoma at the time. I'm watching the federal level Republicans on TV talking about Unity while the State Republican party is sending out ominous mailers telling me that Nancy Pelosi wants to take away my freedoms and "San Francisco values, blah, blah." 

And this is how Democrats play a role in laundering the reputations of GOP officials by corroborating some sort of "I was just following orders" narrative they are going to try and spin over the next two years. I know he said the bit about well this is what leadership looks like, but it is still feeding into a a narrative of shifting blame. If Democrats allow this unchallenged, or even feed into it, we will never see any ramifications for these people.

Just now, GrimTuesday said:

And this is how Democrats play a role in laundering the reputations of GOP officials by corroborating some sort of "I was just following orders" narrative they are going to try and spin over the next two years. I know he said the bit about well this is what leadership looks like, but it is still feeding into a a narrative of shifting blame. If Democrats allow this unchallenged, or even feed into it, we will never see any ramifications for these people.

Hey, he’s from Colorado, Boebert would probably kill him without thinking twice about it, let alone Republican traitors.

watching the debate on cnn. In the end it all boils down to education. Righ now the US is not a functioning society and the general dumbing down of the population which could be witnessed the last 40 years is one major reason.

I must say one thing, I find it baffling how bad most of the democratic speakers are who spoke so far. This is called a debate for fuck's sake, counter the fucking nonsense the Republicans are sprouting and do so raising your voice. It's not like the Republicans didn't signal the angle of their attack plenty of times these last few days. Instead most just mumble half-heartedly and those who do raise their voice for some reason have only 30 seconds to speak while the Republicans scream around insane conspiracy theories that will absolutely enable further violence next week. Cedric Richmond so far was a notable exception. Jamie Raskin also spoke what was exactly on my mind, that the mob threatened to kill everyone in this room and now they have to suffer through the Republicans blaming them for being too mean to fascists. But I'd say he still could have said that better.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

The California National Guard has over 23,000 service members. I haven't heard of any in DC yet (just east coast states so far), though I wouldn't be surprised if a unit or two end up here for the inauguration itself. There should be more than enough in the state to protect Sacramento, so long as Newsom activates them as needed.

The Nebraska National Guard has sent 230 persons to DC. I know I saw on the TV that some from Oregon were also going, but I can't find an article about that through Google News at the moment. So it's not just East Coast states.

https://www.1011now.com/2021/01/13/nebraska-national-guard-sending-230-personnel-to-washington-dc/

Dan Newhouse is the 6th Republican to join the previous 5 deciding to impeach the President. Will be interesting to see the final tally.

If you recall, I had mentioned a while back something about a purge within the GoP of Trump loyalists by the 'establishment'. I now believe there is a high likelihood of it once the temperature of the country goes down (and it can be done in quiet). I'd also place the odds of a third party forming in 2021 off-shooting from the GoP as non-trivial.

Archived