US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hey, he’s from Colorado, Boebert would probably kill him without thinking twice about it, let alone Republican traitors.

Not to engage in too much bravado, but he's a former Army Ranger and she's a sloppy drunk dropout.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I'd place the odds of a third party forming in 2021 offshooting from the GoP as non-trivial.

It certainly should happen, the party is a coalition of unreconcilable views, but from my outside perspective, it certainly won’t happen. It would kill both parties and if there’s one thing Republicans, like the Conservative Party, are good at, it’s coming together with people they have nothing whatsoever in common with in pursuit of power.

22 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Not that new. They were singing that song at the end of the second GWB term. I was in Oklahoma at the time. I'm watching the federal level Republicans on TV talking about Unity while the State Republican party is sending out ominous mailers telling me that Nancy Pelosi wants to take away my freedoms and "San Francisco values, blah, blah." 

And unity was trotted out for why the union needed to show leniency to confederate traitors.

Robert E Lee is praised for surrendering after being thoroughly defeated—as if not being stubborn enough to die was worth praised.

Family guy did a great skit on this,

10 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

N I'm watching. Blood pressure rising

- What do "I reserve" and "I yield back" mean?

I'm not familiar with the system either, but I interpreted it that each side has only a set timelimit to spend on the debate, so they allocate that time to each speaker and shuffle a little around so that some have more time than others.

Yeah, I found an explanation for the yielding:

The phrases in particular you mention are relevant to various limits on how many times, when, and for how long a person may speak, and what they are allowed to do with the time they are allotted. If they are permitted to let someone else speak during their time, they may "yield [their time] to" that other entity; if they were already speaking on someone else's time, they may "yield [the remaining time] back to [the original person]". The original speaker would then reclaim their time. In each case "yield" is essentially a synonym for "give to" or "give back".

https://politics.stackexchange.com/questions/23862/what-do-terms-like-i-yield-my-time-mr-speaker-mean

4 minutes ago, Toth said:

I'm not familiar with the system either, but I interpreted it that each side has only a set timelimit to spend on the debate, so they allocate that time to each speaker and shuffle a little around so that some have more time than others.

Yep. Each side gets a set amount of time allotted to them at the start of the debate with one person distributing it. Hard to tell which side is doing better, though in the end it doesn't matter.

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

This new congressman from Utah seems to be afraid of something as he stammers through his statement...

I think the talk of fear for their lives is real, which, ya know, kind of underscores the entire point of impeachment: political violence.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think the talk of fear for their lives is real, which, ya know, kind of underscores the entire point of impeachment: political violence.

I'm sure a bunch of these Republican shitheels who spent years supporting and encouraging leopards to eat people's faces are scared now of having their faces eaten.

That being said, Democratic lawmakers are dealing with worse threats and have good reason to believe that some of their treasonous colleagues put them in harm's way.

So why are Republicans such weak, cowardly little pissbabies?

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes, and it probably is true that a Republican who votes for impeachment will be in even more personal danger than a Democrat. People perceived as "traitors" arouse a lot more anger than people who are perceived as always having been opponents.

I still think they are cowardly incompetents to vote against it, though.

57 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Take a shot everytime someone says "unity", "heal", and "precedent".

Adding to the excuse bingo:

"come together"

"What about BLM?"

"Democrats condoned riots"

"we have to work on Corona"

"rule of LAW"

"he said peaceful once"

"Democrats are silencing 70 Million voters"

"Democrats never gave Trump a chance"

"political process"

"no hearings"

Archived