US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Supposedly Rice's vote was a mistake and he switched (and early on I did see the count go down from 5 to 4). But we're at 10 Republicans ayes so far, and I haven't seen a 9th or 10th announcement from anyone else.

Valadao (R-CA) is one of them.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Supposedly Rice's vote was a mistake and he switched (and early on I did see the count go down from 5 to 4). But we're at 10 Republicans ayes so far, and I haven't seen a 9th or 10th announcement from anyone else.

Oh good. I'm not crazy.  Saw that too.  So who are 9 and 10?

46 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m listening to “On Point” on NPR and they’re talking about an “incipient insurgency”.  And it being based on fear of demographic changes.  

Are we going to see death squads in the streets attacking people of color and those who those murderers they think are their “sympathizers”?

We already are, we already have, through all of this nation's history.

Have linked earlier this week to this piece despite time stamp, I dunno, coz I have a digital sub?

White Riot
How racism, grievance, resentment and the fear of diminished status came together to fuel violence and mayhem on Jan. 6.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/13/opinion/capitol-riot-white-grievance.html

This one's older but this is what we've been seeing for years and commenting on.

Trump Voters Driven by Fear of Losing Status, Not Economic Anxiety, Study Finds

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/us/politics/trump-economic-anxiety.html

35 minutes ago, Fez said:

Now 7 House Republicans

Fun fact about Meijer, he is the Republican who replaced Justin Amash (didn't run against him; Amash retired last term). Something about that district makes principled Republicans I guess.

Him (Grand Rapids) and Upton (St. Joseph/Kalamazoo) both support impeachment. Two Republicans representing changing districts. It was not long ago that West Michigan was considered the extreme right wing of Micnigan.

Meijer himself had a tough race. He probably won in large part due to his name.

2 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Calling it now; most of the nay votes either lose in their primaries or their seats in the midterms due to a lack trepublicans not coming out to vote for them.

You mean nay votes as in votes against impeachment by Republicans?  While I'd love the idea of more than half of them losing thier seats, that is a very hot take. 

Or do you mean "yes" votes from Republicans, of which there are 10, and possibly some of those are members who might not even be planning on running in 2022?  Because there's definitely a real possibility that half of them will lose their seats, although many of them (like Valadoa and Katko) are in vulnerable seats anyway. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

You mean nay votes as in votes against impeachment by Republicans?  While I'd love the idea of more than half of them losing thier seats, that is a very hot take. 

Or do you mean "yes" votes from Republicans, of which there are 10, and possibly some of those are members who might not even be planning on running in 2022?  Because there's definitely a real possibility that half of them will lose their seats, although many of them (like Valadoa and Katko) are in vulnerable seats anyway. 

Ah I mean the yay votes lol.

People who a) work in the downtown area (restaurants, hotels etc) and b) rely on public transportation are screwed starting Friday through Thursday. We just announced a bunch of station closures where trains will bypass and bus routes being detoured around the security perimeter. 

Also screwed are the restaurants in the security perimeter absolutely relying on take away and delivery. Indoor dining ban was extended until next Friday. 

What absolute disaster situation.

The final tally is 232-197; which adds up to 429 votes. There's at least 1 vacancy, the Louisiana seat of the Republican who died of COVID before taking office. I don't know if there's any others. Every Democrat voted, so there's up to 5 Republicans who skipped the vote. Not sure who yet.

ETA: No one from NY-22 has been seated I believe, because of how tied up in thee courts the election count is going. So that's 2 vacancies actually.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Damnit.

Always finish reading the thread before replying Scot! Turns out the reports that it was mistaken vote were in fact mistaken, he did vote impeach.

Only statement so far is from one of his political advisors:

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

N I'm watching. Blood pressure rising

- What do "I reserve" and "I yield back" mean?

The House follows Parliamentary Procedure, AKA Robert's Rules of Order, in allocating control of the floor and the speaker's rostrum.  PP allows the majority to operate the debate in a deliberative body, but also respects the views of the minority and allows them a voice.

As a summary, a reserve allows the speaker to return and use his or her allocated time at a later point in the debate if they so choose.

Yielding gives up the remaining allocation of time to the Speaker of the House.  He or she can then use that time or yield it to another speaker.

In ancient days when I was in school, students had to pass an exam on Robert's Rules of Order before they could participate in Model United Nations, student body politics, debate teams, etc.  Any player elected to a team captain's role on any team, varsity or JV, also had to attend a two-hour course on PP.

When I got into the executive ranks of the corporate world and was working with non-profits, I was astounded to discover how few corporate execs knew even the most basic rules of civil discourse.  Some of the individuals in Congress who only serve a term or two never seem to learn this basic tool, either, and are therefore almost silent in debates without the help of aides.

In local government, failure of councilmembers to learn and manipulate the rules of order often results in crafty lawyers running the city meetings in such a way as to benefit their clients (developers, business owners who reside outside the city) and put actual citizens at a disadvantage or exclude their concerns from debate.

Archived