US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

16 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm just assuming the gallows were built along the same standards that Trump chuds do everything -- and would lead to very slow, painful deaths.

Fair point. It probably met the engineering standards in Trump's dream real estate world. 

So I’m currently reading Atwood’s The Testaments and I’m reminded that in The Handmaid’s Tale we learn that the conservative dickbags who slaughtered Congress and overthrew the government first blamed the attack on Islamic terrorists. As of 6 days ago the notion that they’d have to blame someone else for their treason is quaint.

8 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Yeah the Framers were totally against magnetometers!

2 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

And then I'll look for his ulterior motives for being for impeachment, and start questioning whether impeachment makes sense. 

I think his ulterior motive would already be pretty..exterior - purging Trump from the party and barring him from running again.

11 minutes ago, Relic said:

So, if the House votes to impeach, what's the earliest the Senate would vote on it? 

Realistically not while McConnell is Majority Leader. I think technically it could be done, but practically, not a chance, and it shouldn't be pursued until our new GA Senators are seated, whenever that happens.  

5 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

I'll believe McConnell is for impeachment when I see it. And then I'll look for his ulterior motives for being for impeachment, and start questioning whether impeachment makes sense. 

Blood sucking lawyers like Mitch are careful with how they phrase their thoughts. He could be all for impeachment in the House, but that doesn't really tell you how he wants to see the trial play out in the Senate.

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

So I’m currently reading Atwood’s The Testaments and I’m reminded that in The Handmaid’s Tale we learn that the conservative dickbags who slaughtered Congress and overthrew the government first blamed the attack on Islamic terrorists. As of 6 days ago the notion that they’d have to blame someone else for their treason is quaint.

I'd agree except they've already been able to blame all sorts of shit on Islamic terrorism that doesn't ring true.  Like, restricting civil liberties in favor of the surveillance state, draconian immigration laws, etc.

And the way our country's collective memory works I wouldn't be surprised if this is the narrative we're all swallowing in 6 months 

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

think his ulterior motive would already be pretty..exterior - purging Trump from the party and barring him from running again.

No what that alone is his ulterior motive. 

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Blood sucking lawyers like Mitch are careful with how they phrase their thoughts. He could be all for impeachment in the House, but that doesn't really tell you how he wants to see the trial play out in the Senate.

That's definitely possible, though the stuff he's let leak also say he won't be whipping his caucus to vote one way or another, which at least gives some indication. 

57 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm just assuming the gallows were built along the same standards that Trump chuds do everything -- and would lead to very slow, painful deaths.

I noticed the rope looked very short, there was no slack for the "long drop and a short stop" style breaking of the neck, that gallows was absolutely going to be the much slower and cruel strangulation.

5 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

That's definitely possible, though the stuff he's let leak also say he won't be whipping his caucus to vote one way or another, which at least gives some indication. 

I'd read that as he knows there's a majority in favor to convict, (50 Dems (assuming this happens after Trump leaves office) plus at least Mitt, Murkowski and probably Sasse), but that he doesn't know if there's the necessary super majority to fully remove Trump. @DMC had a good breakdown of the likely Republican defectors and what brackets they fall under, but I'm not sure which page (or thread, frankly) it's on. I'm skeptical still that a 2/3's majority is there, but what would be really curious is if they could hit it, how high would that number go? That's what ultimately made Nixon chuck up the deuces.

8 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I noticed the rope looked very short, there was no slack for the "long drop and a short stop" style breaking of the neck, that gallows was absolutely going to be the much slower and cruel strangulation.

There's no way they'd get the VP alive that far off Capitol grounds for them to hang him there. They were talking about hanging him from a tree outside the building. 

Regardless, we can be thankful that the best and brightest were not the masterminds of this. But that does leave open the horrifying door of what if they were, and had an intelligent President in charge.....

The good news for America is that Trump himself is a fucking pussy. I think he’s too wrapped up in self preservation to say “alright MAGATS, let ‘er rip.” I don’t trust him at all, but I think complaining about a rigged election to the point that you start a riot among your supporters - yet maintain some semblance of plausible deniability - is much more Trump’s style than going all in and leaving no ambiguity over whether or not he ordered violence on his behalf.

In the latter scenario his ass is toast if he fails. We know he isn’t holding back out of decency, so it’s cowardice. And frankly this country is lucky he doesn’t have the stones to risk his own neck because then we’d really have blood in the streets.

Archived