US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

Nancy Mace just came out against impeachment (using the fig leaf that the Judiciary Committee had been bypassed). She was one of the Reps that I thought could be a possible yes vote based on her statements the past few days holding Trump accountable for Jan. 6.

But tf she's a no, I don't think we're getting much beyond the 5 Republicans that have already come out in favor. I think there's a couple more possible yes votes, but if the over/under is 12, I'm taking the under.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Nancy Mace just came out against impeachment (using the fig leaf that the Judiciary Committee had been bypassed). She was one of the Reps that I thought could be a possible yes vote based on her statements the past few days holding Trump accountable for Jan. 6.

But tf she's a no, I don't think we're getting much beyond the 5 Republicans that have already come out in favor. I think there's a couple more possible yes votes, but if the over/under is 12, I'm taking the under.

She was also the “both sides” idiot

I just turned on CNN and a women reporter (don't see a name yet) said she has been talking to Republicans and a week later they are still under enormous pressure from the WH to support Trump, and they fear for their lives and their families' lives.

Former Congressman Dent pointed out that the last time military personnel slept in the hallways of the Capitol building was during the Civil War, when they were called in to protect DC. He knows because the unit came from his hometown, Allentown, PA.

I saw Sen. Manchin interviewed yesterday and he suggested that the best reason to delay the impeachment was because so much information is going to come out about the organization of the events of the 6th that it will get more Republicans to vote for impeachment, and the impeachment should be bi-partisan.

Take this with a huge grain of salt:

https://www.axios.com/mcconnell-trump-convict-impeachment-trial-99246975-8c02-47f4-90d3-14a23c00afd1.html?utm_campaign=organic&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_source=twitter

Scoop: McConnell leans toward convicting Trump

There's a better than 50-50 chance that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell would vote to convict President Trump in an impeachment trial, sources tell Axios.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I saw Sen. Manchin interviewed yesterday and he suggested that the best reason to delay the impeachment was because so much information is going to come out about the organization of the events of the 6th that it will get more Republicans to vote for impeachment, and the impeachment should be bi-partisan.

I'd say this is why Joe Manchin is an idiot, but that'd be assuming he actually believes that.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Some kinda crazy (to past me) photos coming around this morning, of the National Guard who are now quartering in the Capitol. Really hammers home how surreal all this is:

Yes, it is war, another war of the rebellion.  They were sleeping next to a plaque commemorating the troops who slept there in the 1960's.

AOC says on Instagram she is doing self-care, getting counseling and sleeping a lot due to something that happened that for security reasons she cannot talk about.  The Instagram video is within the article linked below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/01/13/aoc-capitol-mob-republicans-death/

....In the midst of the chaos, the lawmaker revealed on Tuesday night, she also experienced “a pretty traumatizing event” that left her fearing for her life.

“I can tell you that I had a very close encounter where I thought I was going to die,” she said, noting she couldn’t get into specifics for security reasons. “I did not know if I was going to make it to the end of that day alive....

....Ocasio-Cortez told her Instagram Live viewers it was “not an exaggeration” to say many members of Congress were “nearly assassinated.” She described what she called “acts of betrayal” by some members of the U.S. Capitol Police who appeared to side with the mob, saying that to run for safety and “not know if an officer is there to help you or harm you is also quite traumatizing.”....

Nancy Pelosi also had a particularly bad time, details of which she too isn't talking about for security reasons.

As the FBI and others say, a lot went on that day in the Capitol that was really really bad and we the people at this time for security reasons don't yet know.

Airbnb with the major move. This of course impacts persons coming to celebrate inauguration but c'est la vie.

Hotels likely don't have a much choice. I mean, maybe Hyatt or Holiday Inn might, but independents almost certainly don't. Not that any hotel would. 

8 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Shame. It would be much more satisfying, not to mention deliciously ironic, if these fuckers followed in the footsteps of their ideological ancestors and organised a rat run to South America.

7 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Shame. It would be much more satisfying, not to mention deliciously ironic, if these fuckers followed in the footsteps of their ideological ancestors and organised a rat run to South America.

Why do you hate South America, hmmmmmmm? <bad joke in case this isn't clear>

However, jokes aside, what is supremely ironic is the House rethugs are insisting fighting covid-19 is the only thing that matters and impeachment interferes . . . . 

https://www.rawstory.com/jenny-cudd/

A Trump supporter who bragged on Facebook about breaking down the door of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's (D-CA) office during last week's Capitol riots has been arrested by the FBI.

"We did break down the, Nancy Pelosi's office door and somebody stole her gavel and took picture sitting in the chair flipping off the camera, and that was on Fox News," Cudd bragged in a Facebook video.

CBS 7 notes that it interviewed Cudd prior to her arrest and she expressed no regret for her actions.

"Several times, Cudd told CBS7 she was proud of what she did and that she'd do it again," the station reports.

17 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Airbnb with the major move. This of course impacts persons coming to celebrate inauguration but c'est la vie.

Hotels likely don't have a much choice. I mean, maybe Hyatt or Holiday Inn might, but independents almost certainly don't. Not that any hotel would. 

Not sure how they can really do this if the "host" doesn't go along with it. Are they going to remove "hosts" from their list if they do put up someone who was booked who still shows up? How will they even know whether or not that happens?

Jeez, the numbers keep going up. Another 5,000 National Guard have been authorized for the inauguration, bringing the total in DC to 20,000 (though only 10,000 will be in place this weekend if there's any incidents on the 17th).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/01/13/national-guard-inauguration-security/

The intelligence agencies must be getting really concerned about whatever it is they're monitoring.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Jeez, the numbers keep going up. Another 5,000 National Guard have been authorized for the inauguration, bringing the total in DC to 20,000 (though only 10,000 will be in place this weekend if there's any incidents on the 17th).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/01/13/national-guard-inauguration-security/

The intelligence agencies must be getting really concerned about whatever it is they're monitoring.

Or it's optics.

1 minute ago, kairparavel said:

Or it's optics.

Also possible. Although, there's already plenty of National Guard there for some extremely impressive "show of force" photos and video.

I'm not sure the deployment of so many of the National Guard is a great look, really.

Isn't it a bit like someone wearing a big, bulky nappy because they're afraid that the giant festering boil on their arse might erupt at any moment, rather than lancing it and getting on with things with an unspoiled trouserline?

I'm starting to think that it is possible that McConnell really does want Trump removed and barred from office, because he sees Trump being a weight on Senate Republicans in 2022 and 2024 that cannot be tolerated.  I somehow really doubt that he will actually vote to convict Trump unless he has the votes in the Senate to remove.  The idea of the vote going like 55-45 with McConnell coming up short just doesn't sound like him. 

Archived