US Politics: Nine Days in January

Fragile Bird

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Giving himself a pardon is just daring prosecutors to act, and giving his henchmen pardons strips them of their 5th amendment protections. 

The latter is not as cut and dry as it would seem.  Presidential pardons do not cover state crimes, so one could still conceivably assert their 5th amendment rights as a refusal to testify in the fear they could be prosecuted there.  As for the self-pardon, it ultimately is a calculation of whether SCOTUS will uphold it or not.  If they do, then it's obviously the most expedient avenue for Trump - it'd effectively be the same as Ford's blanket pardon of Nixon.  If they don't, then yeah, it does seem to be an admission that you yourself committed crimes, so maybe not the best idea.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

The latter is not as cut and dry as it would seem.  Presidential pardons do not cover state crimes, so one could still conceivably assert their 5th amendment rights as a refusal to testify in the fear they could be prosecuted there.  As for the self-pardon, it ultimately is a calculation of whether SCOTUS will uphold it or not.  If they do, then it's obviously the most expedient avenue for Trump - it'd effectively be the same as Ford's blanket pardon of Nixon.  If they don't, then yeah, it does seem to be an admission that you yourself committed crimes, so maybe not the best idea.

What I mean is, Dems may not have the spine to go after an outgoing President, but if he pardons himself they pretty much have to go after him in order to establish that presidents are not in effect above the law. 

1 minute ago, Myshkin said:

Dems may not have the spine to go after an outgoing President, but if he pardons himself they pretty much have to go after him in order to establish that presidents are not in effect above the law.

I don't know.  It's entirely unclear (to me at least) how motivated Biden/Garland/Dem leadership are to prosecute him.  Would a self-pardon make them more motivated to?  Well, I think they'd definitely challenge the self-pardon itself, sure.  But I don't think that necessarily means it'll make them more motivated to investigate/prosecute him than they were previously.

I saw a brief reference in the WaPo or NYT, I think, that D.C. is going on a war footing.

There's a huge rush again for guns.  He's doubling and tripling down on all of it, and threatening Congress with violence in his usual manner by "I want no violence ...."  They shouldn't let him out, they shouldn't let him talk, they should allow him anything because he is deliberately threatening and ordering greater magnitude of violence and outright threatening congress, particularly Pelosi.

Pence, you frackin' evil cowardly ambitious to be the nom for 2024 -- you should be in jail too.

Remember Lindsey Graham on the Senate floor Wednesday night? Remember, he and Trump have had a helluva ride, but he's done now?

He's on the plane with Trump to the Alamo.

In other news, the US military is doing background checks on troops being sent to DC. They finally realize they may have a problem, I guess.

And in yet other news, CNN reporters are saying they are not hearing Republican reps saying they have any regrets for what they've done, but staffers are, and are quitting.

Hardly any Dem house members or other officials tweeting today. Strange. Excpt for the Biden-Harris campaign, who tweet about anything but what happened and the ongoing threats.

So... they haven't been so far?

Yeah all this 'no-fly list' stuff is security theater, nothing more. I understand its supposed to limit your mobility but it really doesnt. The one thing flying does is make you go through security, creates a paper trail, and actually significantly increases your travel time for moderate distances. On the other hand, you could drive from point A to point B in this country without leaving a trace anywhere - borrow a friend's car, pay for cash everywhere etc. Putting people of no-fly zones will just make them do the latter and you have no way of knowing what they are up to.

Guy who stole lectern released on bail.

https://hillreporter.com/ivanka-trump-desperate-to-salvage-her-political-career-to-attend-joe-bidens-inauguration-90039?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ivanka Trump has decided that she will attend the inauguration of Joe Biden as the 46th president of the United States on Wednesday, the 20th of January

Please tell me she is not welcome...

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

There's going to be a ton of pardons. Trump will never purposely let any advantage or privilege go, even if it's not monetary. In fact, he's probably working out how to monetize it in his final days.

Deutsche Bank joins companies cutting ties with Donald Trump
Bank had propped up Trump Organization for years despite being sued by president but acted after Capitol attack

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/12/deutsche-bank-severs-ties-with-donald-trump

I like the sound of this. Does it mean they will call in their loans? Fingers crossed this bankrupts him.

3 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Now he's wearing a mask. How about that?

1 minute ago, Makk said:

I like the sound of this. Does it mean they will call in their loans? Fingers crossed this bankrupts him.

Please tell me they hold the notes on Turnberry and Mar-A-Lago.

3 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

https://hillreporter.com/ivanka-trump-desperate-to-salvage-her-political-career-to-attend-joe-bidens-inauguration-90039?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ivanka Trump has decided that she will attend the inauguration of Joe Biden as the 46th president of the United States on Wednesday, the 20th of January

Please tell me she is not welcome...

1st - you should see the interview Chris Cuomo did with his lawyers last night. When I get a chance I’ll post it. “He’s not that person you see in that picture, he’s a good guy, a good father, it’s one picture, he went there to be part of history”.

2nd - Ivanka might find herself a very serious target if she goes to the Inauguration. You know, traitor bitch stuff?

26 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yeah all this 'no-fly list' stuff is security theater, nothing more.

Well, just because there are other options doesn't mean you don't try to eliminate one option.  This is like saying gun control is just theater because of ballistics.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, I can't read their minds, but they are definitely gonna do it tomorrow.  So if you're gonna do it anyway I think it's pretty damn stupid (and undercutting of the entire point) to wait.

I think there’s two reasons for this (I don’t think they’re good enough reasons, personally). They would rather use the 25th because it removes him from office and the responsibility is on Trump appointees, not them. Also, I think they wanna be able to make Pence look like a coward for not responding to calls to invoke 25. Which he does, for not even making a statement about it.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, just because there are other options doesn't mean you don't try to eliminate one option.  This is like saying gun control is just theater because of ballistics.

It might actually be better to allow them to fly, as it makes it easier to track their movements. For example, A van rented in one persons name could have anyone in it. Also paying cash at a gas station while wearing a mask.

Archived