Trekking

Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

Any trekking enthusiasts in the forum ? I've done a few high altitude (10,000 feet+) Himalayan treks in North and East India where we spent 7-8 days camping out in nature... Planning another in August in the Kashmir Valley. How have your experiences been?What makes you do them? For me it's just the total disconnect from the rest of my life it offers..I always plan a solo trip with a larger group.Great chance to meet new people as well.. 

This a video shot by one of my teammates, shows you what it's like:

Would love to hear your experiences trekking in other parts of the world! 

I've trekked the Annapurna circuit, which i described in a blog post. 

I've also done a few treks in Peru, and a pretty sweet altho not very "isolated from the world" trek in Catalonia. I'm dying to go back to Nepal! 

Not sure if you count Machu Picchu, but I've been there twice, and it was fantastic.  I've explored some of the Pyramids in Egypt, not really "trekking" per se, but very interesting.

I did a trekking of sorts tour in Borneo for 2 weeks about 12 years ago, mostly to see and work with young orangutans in various camps (various age groups in each camp/area).  Lots of river running in small boats, fairly easy jungle trails to traverse to see the released/wild orangutans, etc.  Incredible adventure, my SO cried probably every day (joyful tears), as there were so many positive and exciting experiences, both with the environment and the orangs and other smaller primates (there are about a dozen or so other primates in Borneo).  

Once this Covid crap is over, and health permitting, I'd love to go trek in some other places. Unfortunately the really high altitude options are probably a no-go now due to health issues, but anything that possible for me I'd love a crack at it a couple times a year or so.

19 hours ago, Relic said:

I've trekked the Annapurna circuit, which i described in a blog post. 

I've also done a few treks in Peru, and a pretty sweet altho not very "isolated from the world" trek in Catalonia. I'm dying to go back to Nepal! 

Nice man... Doing Annapurna and Everest Base Camp is certainly on my bucketlist of treks.. Do share your blog link, want to read about the experience! 

Yeah Nepal has some fantastic spots, despite the increased commercialization.. You should try the Himalayan treks in India next time too if you enjoyed Nepal, much cheaper and less crowded I'd say. 

4 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Not sure if you count Machu Picchu, but I've been there twice, and it was fantastic.  I've explored some of the Pyramids in Egypt, not really "trekking" per se, but very interesting.

I did a trekking of sorts tour in Borneo for 2 weeks about 12 years ago, mostly to see and work with young orangutans in various camps (various age groups in each camp/area).  Lots of river running in small boats, fairly easy jungle trails to traverse to see the released/wild orangutans, etc.  Incredible adventure, my SO cried probably every day (joyful tears), as there were so many positive and exciting experiences, both with the environment and the orangs and other smaller primates (there are about a dozen or so other primates in Borneo).  

Once this Covid crap is over, and health permitting, I'd love to go trek in some other places. Unfortunately the really high altitude options are probably a no-go now due to health issues, but anything that possible for me I'd love a crack at it a couple times a year or so.

Sad to hear about your health issues.. Although there are meds that prevent AMS, high blood pressure and other elevation related issues, hopefully you can work something out.. 

Macchu Pichu and Peru in general sound fantastic! South America (apart from Antarctica) is the only continent remaining that I haven't travelled at all, i will definitely cover it someday. (a circuit of Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil is in the works) 

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Nice man... Doing Annapurna and Everest Base Camp is certainly on my bucketlist of treks.. Do share your blog link, want to read about the experience! 

Yeah Nepal has some fantastic spots, despite the increased commercialization.. You should try the Himalayan treks in India next time too if you enjoyed Nepal, much cheaper and less crowded I'd say. 

For sure mate - 

https://www.justapack.com/hiking-the-annapurna-circuit-nepal/

It's not the same thing, since I left each night to sleep in a nearby hotel, but a few years back I spent a week hiking around and exploring Rocky Mountain National Park; which was pretty incredible. The most memorable part was a ridge trail I did that was at 12,000 feet (starting from the side of the road that's up there), and it must've been 40+ MPH winds close to the entire time. 

I don't know if I'll do proper trekking ever, since I do like my creature comforts at the end of the day. But even just an all-day hike out in nature really does something for me.

I've never done any stuff at high altitude, but have enjoyed backpacking, scrambling, and skiing in the northeast US.  The Adirondacks are my current favorite but the White Mts in NH and Baxter St Park in Maine are also places I love to go.  The last few years I've got into winter touring on skis, the Adirondacks are amazing in winter, and the Catamount Ski trail in VT is also beautiful (sort of parallels the Long Trail).  It's a super fun way to cover a lot of ground in the winter, and I now have zero interest in skiing resorts anymore.

I've done most of the Appalachian Trail north of NY, mostly in 3-10 day sections.  That's really nice too but it has been really crowded the last few years.  This year with covid the Catskills and Adirondacks were overwhelmed with people and it was kind of an overcrowded trashfest out there.  Could not believe the amount of garbage I collected --probably more on one 3 day hike than I've picked up in the last 10 years.

My favorite trip I did this year was a backcountry water monitoring program looking for invasive species in some lakes in the Adirondacks.  It was really cool to get to use a packraft, and now I'm allowed to do backcountry water surveys on my own through the Adirondacks Mountain Club.  Looking forward to doing a few of more of these next summer.

I had a three week trip planned to do the John Muir Trail and Mt Whitney this past summer but abandoned it due to Covid.  Will probably have to wait till 2022 unless I can get there in the early fall.  I am super jealous of you who have been to the Himalayas and Rockies!  Those are all on the list.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

It's not the same thing, since I left each night to sleep in a nearby hotel, but a few years back I spent a week hiking around and exploring Rocky Mountain National Park; which was pretty incredible. The most memorable part was a ridge trail I did that was at 12,000 feet (starting from the side of the road that's up there), and it must've been 40+ MPH winds close to the entire time. 

I don't know if I'll do proper trekking ever, since I do like my creature comforts at the end of the day. But even just an all-day hike out in nature really does something for me.

I've never gone through the Rocky Mountain National Park (the US side of the Rockies), but I've been all through the Canadian Rockies, and some really high alt trails and treks.  My company has a high angle assault/shooting range and facility, which is built on one of the mountains in the Canadian Rocky park, where our trainees can learn and practice rappelling, high angle assault, and high angle long range shooting.  I've got pics and a vid somewhere of the area, exploring  a lot of the trails and views in the Canadian Rockies, and I'll post it when I find it.  Absolutely beautiful places.

Archived