Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

I just wonder without Bumrah how well they'll be able to mop up Australia's reasonably strong lower order. Aus could still get 400+ quite easily.

Without Saini the others are going to have to do the heavy lifting, too. To lose both Ashwin and Bumrah was a cruel blow.

Batting second when your bowling attack is depleted really makes a dent in your chances of winning a match. That being said, a draw retains the Border/Gavaskar trophy for them, so India might not mind the current state of affairs too much (it is only day one, though, so hard to say). If Australia get 400+, India could back their batsmen to do the same, and if it happens at the current low run rates of the series you'd think that would take them right up to Day 4. Then the time pressure will be on Australia to set a safe target and bowl India out when the last Test showed India have some batting resolve.

This is just my luck: I found a colleague at my office who is also very much into the cricket (his family is from Bangalore).....literally the day before his last day at my organization. :tantrum:

But we did have a great chat yesterday and today about cricket, and he was honestly thrilled to actually meet someone in our field who is into the sport, so I guess it's still a win.

@Hereward he was very curious as to why I couldn't pick a side with Kohli as captain, though. 

@The Winged Shadow he found no fault in your method to pick a team, although he lamented that his own IPL side are sadly a bunch of pleb loving monarchists owned by a criminal.

Pretty good comeback here again from India. Tail making some nuisance, but honestly, losing the toss and fielding against Warner, Marnus and Smith? You’d take 350.

Now let’s see if Australia can make better use of the ‘Gabba bounce.

37 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Pretty good comeback here again from India. Tail making some nuisance, but honestly, losing the toss and fielding against Warner, Marnus and Smith? You’d take 350.

Now let’s see if Australia can make better use of the ‘Gabba bounce.

Yes, great effort from India to bowl Australia out for under 400 after losing the toss. Hopefully their batsmen can back it up, and with some of them in good touch they have a shot.

Yes, Gill and Rohit were the ones who could've taken it to the bowlers and started knocking off that first innings. Rohit was looking good until that terrible shot against Lyon.

It's a bit of a go-slow operation now, not that you can begrudge the experience of Rahane and Pujara. A draw is good enough for them so they can afford to be patient, and a bit of rain will help too.

Kusal Mendis has got a run! To be fair he’s earned it after the hammering he took at short leg yesterday.

This is a far better day for Sri Lanka so far.

ETA: England aren't bowling particularly well but I think it's notable that in less than helpful conditions Broad's conceded three runs off eight overs. The Sri Lankan batsmen want no part of him.

I think Broad's pretty decisively winning his battle with Anderson over which of them's going to be one old timer to play at this point. You'd probably play Anderson in overcast prime swinging conditions in England, other than that it's Broad.

18 hours ago, Paxter said:

just wonder without Bumrah how well they'll be able to mop up Australia's reasonably strong lower order. Aus could still get 400+ quite easily.

Great effort from the Tamil debutants Nattu and Washi who have already made a mark in limited overs. Shardul too, but expensive. 

369 bundled out 

62/2

Sounds ok, considering the injuries and inexperience

17 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

@Hereward he was very curious as to why I couldn't pick a side with Kohli as captain, though. 

I hope you’re moving on to greener pastures. Good luck!

Presumably, as you’re talking fondly about the conversation, you didn’t say “because he’s a narcissistic twat”!

11 hours ago, ljkeane said:

This is a far better day for Sri Lanka so far.

I think someone has managed to explain to the Sri Lankan batsmen that there is a Test match going on. Thirimanne has played well and they've got some experience to come in Mathews and Chandimal but it's still an intimidating first-innings deficit although on a spinning pitch even a small fourth innings chase could be tricky.

4 hours ago, Hereward said:

I hope you’re moving on to greener pastures. Good luck!

Presumably, as you’re talking fondly about the conversation, you didn’t say “because he’s a narcissistic twat”!

Ha!! No, I said I wasn't sure why Kohli was under interdict. And quick clarification -- it's my colleague who is moving on. His fellowship ended. I'm still at the same place, extolling the virtues of birds. 

oh my god, the commentary. 

It's Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, and a third person whose identity I cannot suss out, and first they've compared Pat Cummins' accuracy to "an Exocet missile" and now they're talking about frogs in blenders. (yes, I know they're talking about a bowlers' action, but I had to look that up so I could sleep tonight.)

Haha. It’s a shame we have the Fox coverage (which is dominated by Warne). Channel 7 has a much better team (Ponting, Mitchell, Lane) but is impossible to access from North America (despite my many attempts!)

The other option is to have the radio commentary on while watching the TV...but there is usually a lag between the two.

Well, two wickets before lunch. That might appear to be a neutral session but I think Australia are well in front now as they are India’s best two bats. I don’t think India will be able to muster much more than 100 from their remaining wickets but am happy to be proven wrong!

224/6 

Don't forget Washington Sundar is a top order batsman. He also represented and batted at number 4 in the u-19 World Cup, same which Pant represented. And bats in the top-order for Tamil Nadu. 

Spoiler

Batting R(B) 4s 6s SR

Washington Sundar* 28(53) 4 0 52.83

Shardul Thakur 15(31) 1 1 48.39

HAZLEWOOD great with 3

Stark, Cummins and Lyon one apiece 

I'd say with 5 overs left for new ball, Aus is going to post a big lead after getting India all out. But Washi is gritty and Thakur won't give up soon. 

Archived