Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

Well, two wickets before lunch. That might appear to be a neutral session but I think Australia are well in front now as they are India’s best two bats. I don’t think India will be able to muster much more than 100 from their remaining wickets but am happy to be proven wrong!

55 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Fair call on Sundar. This is why they didn’t play Kuldeep. But I still think Aus on track for a sizeable lead.

Hate you so much right now. Such a shit bloke.

Got to give it to India, they have shown extreme resilience after the debacle of that one innings in the first match. Super annoying that Australia constantly gets into great position and then throws it away. This has another draw written all over it. A drawn series would be as good as a win for India considering the circumstances.

5 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

WOW. I am legitimately impressed that India were able to post that run total. 

All credit to Sundar and Thakur 

Some Trivia from Cricbuzz

The last time India's #7 and #8 scored 50+ in same innings in an away Test, neither of them a wicketkeeper, was at Manchester in 1982 (Sandeep Patil 129* & Kapil Dev 65)

WASHINGTON SUNDAR becomes the second Indian player to hit a 50+ debut batting innings and take three-plus wickets in his debut bowling innings after Dattu Phadkar (51 & 3/14 vs Aus, SCG, 1947/48).

Starc to Washington Sundar, 1 run, 146.9kph, pushes this fullish ball to the left of mid-off and hares to the other end. Maiden Test fifty on debut for Washington Sundar... after picking a three-fer with the ball. Terrific performance from the all-rounder who last played a FC match in November 2017

100+ partnership for 7th wicket for India in Australia

204 R Pant - R Jadeja Sydney 2018/19

132 V Hazare - H Adhikari Adelaide 1947/48

103*W SUNDAR - S THAKUR Brisbane 2020/21

101 M Azharuddin - M PrabhakarAdhikari Adelaide 1991/92

Lyon to Thakur, SIX, wow! What a way to get to your maiden Test half-century! Dances down the track, gets close to the pitch of the ball and bludgeons it over long-on. There was a fielder in the deep, but Shardul backed himself and cleared the fielder comfortably. Remember, he opened his account with a six off Cummins too. This has been a superb knock. Mind you, he averages 14 in First Class...

HAZLEWOOD ended with a consolation 5 wicket haul. Consolation because they wasted a great position to let the 7th wicket resurrect India's chances 

4th Test • Brisbane

AUS 369-all out & 21/0 (six overs) 

IND 336-all out

Day 3: Stumps - Australia lead by 54 runs

Oooh! I should have realized that the Sri Lanka-England Test was still on. Minimum 16 overs left in the day is enough to make it worth turning on the match. 

I'm looking at this lineup, though, and I only recognize four of them (Bairstow, Root, Buttler, and Broad). Also LOL just as I was typing that England lost another wicket. Usually chasing 74 is no big deal, but England are determined to act otherwise.

13 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Hate you so much right now. Such a shit bloke.

Got to give it to India, they have shown extreme resilience after the debacle of that one innings in the first match. Super annoying that Australia constantly gets into great position and then throws it away. This has another draw written all over it. A drawn series would be as good as a win for India considering the circumstances.

Haha. I did say I was happy to be proven wrong!

And I certainly was. Great fight for the second consecutive test match by India's lower order batsmen and it will probably be enough to save the series. I do think Australia deserves a bit of criticism - it took them way too long to employ a short ball strategy against Shardul and Washington. And the captaincy was pretty ordinary during that crucial seventh wicket partnership. Letting Lyon wheel away innocuously with men on the fence made it easy for India. They needed a barrage from the quicks at both ends (even Green bowling bouncers if the others are fatigued) or maybe more leg spin from Marnus (who bowled one over - a maiden). 

With rain forecast tomorrow, this looks like a draw. Aus need something special (and rapid) from Warner to have a chance.

As an aside, I had to chuckle at some of the Australian commentators who were angry about the placid 'Gabba pitch. The hypocrisy really gets me. They absolutely howl about the spin-doctored wickets in India and Sri Lanka, but are then incensed when the new Brisbane curator fails to deliver a bouncy green-top! 

And one thing I forgot to mention before is that finally an Australian other than S Smith got a test century against India. Before Marnus' ton in this game, only Smith, Warner and Maxwell had got tons against India in the current generation of players. Other than those three, you have to hark back to Clarke and Punter. An era of dominance for Indian bowlers against Aus.

DP...but wanted to add that the ill-fated World Test Championship adds a tiny bit of interesting subtext to this India-Australia finale.

If Australia contrives to lose this match, then they are basically knocked out, unless they play and beat South Africa in an upcoming tour. But my feeling is that that tour might be in danger after England's recent travails. If Australia secures the draw or win, then NZ will be third and effectively knocked out of the WTC.

19 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

oh my god, the commentary. 

It's Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist, and a third person whose identity I cannot suss out, and first they've compared Pat Cummins' accuracy to "an Exocet missile" and now they're talking about frogs in blenders. (yes, I know they're talking about a bowlers' action, but I had to look that up so I could sleep tonight.)

The 'frog in blender' phrase is most associated with South Africa's Paul Adams who got a lot of wickets in the late 90s primarily due to his idiosyncratic self-taught action where he delivered the ball while not looking at the batsmen, which seemed to confuse them so much they didn't know how to play him.

Oooh! I should have realized that the Sri Lanka-England Test was still on. Minimum 16 overs left in the day is enough to make it worth turning on the match.

Out of players you might recognise I think Moeen Ali and Jimmy Anderson are also on the tour, it's possible they might play in the next match.

It is a classic England batting performance so far. I'm not sure Bairstow's return to the team will last long if he persists in running out his captain.

On another subject, I was looking at the Test schedule for this year, I hadn't realised before that England were scheduled to play India nine times in two series. I'm usually a fan of long series but that does seem excessive.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

Out of players you might recognise I think Moeen Ali and Jimmy Anderson are also on the tour, it's possible they might play in the next match.

It is a classic England batting performance so far. I'm not sure Bairstow's return to the team will last long if he persists in running out his captain.

Ah yes! I do recognize both Ali and Anderson. And yeah that Root wicket was just stupid. There was no reason for either Root or Bairstow to leave their respective creases.

Archived