Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

17 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Oooh! I should have realized that the Sri Lanka-England Test was still on

I don't blame you, considering the way the last match of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy is going 

India draws the match 33.33%

Aus wins 33.33%

Ind wins 33.33%

00.01% Rain ruins the day. Jk

My predictions

Their 270+ lead is as good as 350 with the pitch favoring the bowlers excessively. India could've used it better. Smith would have fallen earlier to Washington or Natarajan if proper rotation was used. Thakur and Siraj have 3 a piece while Washi has one scalp and Nattu and Saini yet to strike. Proper rotation would have reduced 50 runs min plus ensured all struck in equal intervals, maybe even an all out. The Aussies looked pretty shaky in their batting 

4 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Australia should be pretty confident with around 300 runs ahead on a day 4/5 wicket with around a day to play (weather allowing). But they've consistently avoided winning from positions they're well on top this series...

Ya

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

That Smith dismissal was a brute. I worry for India if this pitch starts to play more tricks!

Yep. Current lead as good as 350

16 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Bird list for Galle thus far: 
Large-billed Crow
House Crow
Intermediate Egret
egret sp. (either Cattle or Little)

I thought I saw a Brahminy Kite or three. Or thrice 

Speaking of thrice, look at Shaky Langer.. Lol. Lmao. Rofl. 

:rofl:

Really great effect these debutants (Thakur's actually one test old) had on him 

Siraj excellent fifer. Thakur deserves the 4 for. Washi scalps one. Nattu nil. Saini nil. 

Smiths 50 plus chip one from all lead to the 294.

338 target 

4/0 stumps Ind 

One day left 

Interesting... If Draw, India retains the BG trophy 

Edit 

Forgot trivia 

Only for the third time in the last 32 years across 32 Tests, Australia have been bowled out in each innings of a Test at the Gabba - the other instances came against WI in 1992/93 and against NZ in 2008/09.

9 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I thought I saw a Brahminy Kite or three. Or thrice 

oooh! I missed those but next time there's a Test in Galle I'll keep an eye out. ETA: which looks like it'll start on Jan 25 so hooray! Hopefully I will get a good Test list.

BTW when I posted about birding that Test on Twitter, someone from England noted that a commentator mentioned three species of egret. 1) this charms me and more Test commentary needs quality bird content and 2) I'm guessing the small egrets were a mix of Little and Cattle. 

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

oooh! I missed those but next time there's a Test in Galle I'll keep an eye out. ETA: which looks like it'll start on Jan 25 so hooray! Hopefully I will get a good Test list.

BTW when I posted about birding that Test on Twitter, someone from England noted that a commentator mentioned three species of egret. 1) this charms me and more Test commentary needs quality bird content and 2) I'm guessing the small egrets were a mix of Little and Cattle. 

There’s quite a lot of bird watching in cricket commentary and crossover with cricket writers. Bumble is a bird watcher, I believe. One of my favourite crickets writers, Simon Barnes, has also written a number of excellent books about birding, including one that is right up my alley, How to be a bad birdwatcher.

Weather forecast looks OK for Brissie tomorrow, so all results are in play heading into Day 5!

That was a much better day for Australia, with nearly 300 runs at just under 4 per over. That was pretty much perfect - score any slower and you won't have enough time, score any fewer and India might chase it down. As it stands, India could still go for the win, but I think they will probably go into "draw" mode early unless the openers set up a great platform. 

2 hours ago, Hereward said:

That was a remarkably stress free end to the England match. I fully expected us to be 50-7 and me craving a pre-dawn double Scotch.

You got up at four in the morning to watch England chase 36 runs? That's commitment. 

19 hours ago, williamjm said:

It is a classic England batting performance so far. I'm not sure Bairstow's return to the team will last long if he persists in running out his captain.

It's not ideal but, to be fair to him, he didn't have a bad test other than that. On the back of getting a hundred last time he played in Sri Lanka.

I think England will have to have a bit of think about the balance of their side with the next five tests being in Sri Lanka and India. It's good to get the win but Sibley and Crawley didn't look comfortable and the spinners were helped out a lot by Sri Lanka shooting themselves in the foot in the first inning.

17 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

You got up at four in the morning to watch England chase 36 runs? That's commitment. 

It's not ideal but, to be fair to him, he didn't have a bad test other than that. On the back of getting a hundred last time he played in Sri Lanka.

I think England will have to have a bit of think about the balance of their side with the next five tests being in Sri Lanka and India. It's good to get the win but Sibley and Crawley didn't look comfortable and the spinners were helped out a lot by Sri Lanka shooting themselves in the foot in the first inning.

Who said I’d been to bed!

I’m not sure why Jennings isn’t on tour with his record against spin. I think Crawley will come good, but Sibley, not so much. The batting looks very thin if we need a new opener.

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

There’s quite a lot of bird watching in cricket commentary and crossover with cricket writers. Bumble is a bird watcher, I believe. One of my favourite crickets writers, Simon Barnes, has also written a number of excellent books about birding, including one that is right up my alley, How to be a bad birdwatcher.

Gods, could you imagine going birding with Bumble?! :wideeyed:

In some ways, I guess I am glad that I've not heard much in the way of wildlife commentary from the broadcasts licensed in the U.S. Having to listen to Shane Warne chat shite about birds would crush my will to live.

4 hours ago, Hereward said:

Who said I’d been to bed!

I’m not sure why Jennings isn’t on tour with his record against spin. I think Crawley will come good, but Sibley, not so much. The batting looks very thin if we need a new opener.

Yeah that’s fair. If you’re going to play a flat-track bully like Bairstow, you might as well get Jennings in there! Plus he’s a great short leg.

8 hours ago, Hereward said:

That was a remarkably stress free end to the England match. I fully expected us to be 50-7 and me craving a pre-dawn double Scotch.

Dan Lawrence is new to the team so probably doesn't know yet what is expected from an England batsmen in these situations.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

The spinners did play better in the second innings but I wonder if there might be a temptation to play Moeen as well rather than the third seamer, particularly when Stokes is back in the side?

Yeah Warne lost the plot in that session of play. I think sometimes he forgets that he's not on the field!

Having said that, his point (that Lyon should have a silly point in place), was entirely correct...

ETA: On Moeen, I was hearing that he was unlikely to play the second test given that he has been in quarantine for so long and unable to train. 

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Oh, for sure. But good goddamn he would not STFU. This is why I do not want Warnie ever talking about birds. :commie:

ETA: Australian bowlers really going in for the short balls now. 

that was an exciting first session!

If Warnie ever talks about birds, you can be sure it will be about the human kind :P

Gill is easily the find of the series. Looks as solid as Pujara, but with much better run rate.

Edit: this thread is seriously cursed like no other :lol:

18 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Gill is easily the find of the series

Most runs in this series for India

259 Shubman Gill

244 A Rahane*

241 C Pujara*

185 R Pant*

Poor Fella missed out on a well deserved maiden century 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Another good session with the bat for India. It's kind of a shame Pujara is in at three...certainly helps with the draw but has effectively taken away any chance of an India win. 

I don't think so. India can easily win if they don't lose wickets and keep the RR around 4

18 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Edit: this thread is seriously cursed like no other :lol:

Abandon All Hope Ye who enter here.... Spooky bgm

And there's another jinxer on Cricbuzz 

Lyon to Shubman Gill, THATS OUT!! Caught!!

Krishna: "What is the reason behind Australia not getting wickets here? Is the pitch not helping bowler or Batsmen are playing very good or Australia bowling is not good enough?" - a bit of all three, a lot of the second, the least of the thi rd

And Paine is becoming an expert in lots of things. Getting sledged back, losing wins from great positions, and now wasting reviews 

Spoiler

49.6 Lyon to Pujara, no run, never show signs of desperation. This is an absolute waste of a review. Every time Paine does that, we go back to Headingley. At the Gabba this time Pujara ran down the pitch, couldn't get close to the pitch of the ball, so offered the pad with the bat tucked behind, impact not an issue as no shot was offered and with that much amount of distance to travel, it was no way threatening the stumps. Bouncing well over leg says ball-tracker

LBW review being deliberated looooong. Paine isn't convinced but he's just taken one on hope. Hope this is umpire's call at least to save the review. "No shot played" says third umpire and it's missing!

1 minute ago, The Winged Shadow said:

The cynic in me thinks Pujara is taking the body hits to waste time. Interesting tactic!

I think they want to win. Pujara usually plays 20 balls for one run, 100 for 15 abs and so on. Today tho... 

I’m not sold that India can win from here...

But that was a fantastic innings from Gill. What a joy to watch. Someone on commentary said that it was like watching a kid play backyard cricket and I thought that was bang on. 

Archived