Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

I cackled aloud at these two grafs in this article:

Pant's dashing best came during the last hour of play, after a series of partnerships had taken India to within 63 runs of victory at which point they lost Mayank Agarwal. The burden of either pushing for a win or shutting the gates fell on Pant and debutant Washington Sundar.

To put it in terms that would be lost on their older team-mates, the two left-handers woke up and chose violence.

What an amazing win by India and a richly deserved series victory. That they managed to do this without their best batsman (Kohli), best fast bowler (Bumrah), best spinner (Ashwin), best all-rounder (Jadeja) and at least their next few fast bowlers (Shami, Yadav) and down a bowler during the match (Saini)...what an effort.

Pant was the hero at the end but the Fourth Test victory was set up by so many other efforts. Gill's 90-odd got things started, Pujara's iron man innings in the middle held it all together. The first innings partnership between Washington Sundar and Shardul was what enabled it all in the first place. And a second-string bowling attack took 20 wickets spread between them - Siraj took a five-for, Shardul took 7 in the match, everyone else got a few.

And this Australian team is not meant to be a weak one. It boasts two of the best batsmen in the world (Smith, Labuschagne averaging 60+) and a third (Warner) who also averages 60+ when at home albeit he wasn't playing every match. The bowling attack boasted Pat Cummins (best in the world) and Hazlewood and Starc are also in the top 10 for ICC rankings. Plus Nathan Lyon on the verge of 400 Test wickets. So no excuses for the Aussies against a depleted Indian side.

Jeez. Stepping back and thinking about the enormity of that series win...

Did we just watch the best test series since '05? Two sublime bowling attacks. India showcasing incredible (almost unfathomable) talent depth. Fearless batting performances. A collapse to get bowled our for 36. A desperate draw. A classic fourth innings run chase.

Amazing!

50 minutes ago, williamjm said:

When I saw the result when I got up this morning one of the first things I wondered was whether Paxter had been predicting it was going to go badly for India.

You'll be pleased to know that, not only do I make (extremely high-quality) cricket-related predictions on this board, but I also gamble accordingly.

So needless to say, Bet365 just got a pay day from me...

54 minutes ago, Paxter said:

You'll be pleased to know that, not only do I make (extremely high-quality) cricket-related predictions on this board, but I also gamble accordingly.

So needless to say, Bet365 just got a pay day from me...

It's probably a good thing for your wallet that the series is over now.

7 hours ago, Hereward said:

Just don’t predict good things for them.

Paxter the Jinxter! Poor RR then... 

Jus kidding Pax ;), no offense/offence (which is right BTW?) 

8 hours ago, Paxter said:

OK everyone can get on Rajasthan now!

Smith released from the 2021 team.

Here's the full list of retained, released and remaining purse... Auction on Feb 16/19

So, I was wrong. They didn’t wait for Bairstow’s next bowled playing a cover drive to drop him. He’s been “rested” already. I bet he’s giving a hotel suite the proper rock star treatment right now. He really must be a nightmare to have around to get dropped after that series.

I was too slow posting this. Anyway, the England squad for the first two tests in India.

There's a few surprises in there. Rotating Archer and Stokes in for Wood and Curran makes sense and Foakes taking over for Buttler for the last three tests of the series isn't a huge worry. I'm a little surprised they've not kept Bairstow in the squad. With Pope still not fit (also a surprise, I thought they'd taken him on tour because he was on the verge of being able to play) that means the top three is going to be Burns, Sibley and Crawley. That strikes me as a concern.

ETA: I suppose they might be planning to go with Ali as a top order batsman again. Either way I think I'd have kept the option of Bairstow around.

15 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Paxter the Jinxter! Poor RR then... 

Jus kidding Pax ;), no offense/offence (which is right BTW?) 

Here's the full list of retained, released and remaining purse... Auction on Feb 16/19

Depends which side of the pond you're on. Most in this thread probably use "offence" (X-Ray excepted!)

Bairstow out for the India tour? That just makes no sense. And this coming from one of his biggest detractors!

And no way should England play Ali in the top order again (my view). 

Depends which side of the pond you're on

I'd very much like RR to be jinxed thank you, Smith or no Smith 

Most in this thread probably use "offence" (X-Ray excepted!

Thanks mate 

And no way should England play Ali in the top order again (my view)

:agree:

Archived