Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I may have jumped the gun in writing off Anderson after the first test.

For a bowler so perfectly suited to English conditions Anderson is surprisingly effective in Asia as well.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

England really, really should be taking Bairstow to India. He averages in the 40s in Asia. Sibley currently averages 2 and Crawley 5.6. Burns at least got a half century last time out in Sri Lanka but he still only averaged 25.

Sibley and Crawley didn't look like they had much of a clue how to play Embuldinya. Indian spinner are probably watching with interest.

3 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Sibley and Crawley didn't look like they had much of a clue how to play Embuldinya. Indian spinner are probably watching with interest.

Fortunately for them Jadeja's injured. I'm sure India will be able to dig a half decent left armer out from somewhere though.

13 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Fortunately for them Jadeja's injured. I'm sure India will be able to dig a half decent left armer out from somewhere though.

Washi is right and I'd prefer him over Chinaman leftie Kuldeep anytime. The last test is proof enough. 

I think that Root wicket in the last over has probably done it for England. If he could have farmed the strike tomorrow and maybe got through the first session or so it might have forced Sri Lanka to play defensively enough to give England a chance of the draw. As it is it's hard to see England surviving if they have to bat almost all of day five.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I think that Root wicket in the last over has probably done it for England. If he could have farmed the strike tomorrow and maybe got through the first session or so it might have forced Sri Lanka to play defensively enough to give England a chance of the draw. As it is it's hard to see England surviving if they have to bat almost all of day five.

The other chance for England would be to bowl Sri Lanka out cheaply in the third innings. Their batting performance in the first Test suggests that's a possibility even if they've played better since then.

It was another great innings from Root.

8 hours ago, Paxter said:

Kudos to Root. He has been so maligned for not converting (I have been one of the doubters I must admit!), it’s a credit to him that he’s piling on the runs now in difficult conditions.

Optimistically won't jinx him next time 

Well then -- Yesterday at stumps England were still batting their first innings, and now I'm up during the 3rd session of the 4th day and England are batting their second innings with a 48 run chase and 6 wickets in hand. I mean, I'm here for the birds, but also yikes Sri Lanka what happened?

On 1/24/2021 at 3:50 PM, williamjm said:

The other chance for England would be to bowl Sri Lanka out cheaply in the third innings. Their batting performance in the first Test suggests that's a possibility even if they've played better since then.

Good call. I have to say I didn't see pretty much any of today coming. I thought Sri Lanka, with the lessons from the first test, would put up a solid enough score. Even having seen them on the way to getting bowled out fairly cheaply this morning before I went to work I still thought England might struggle to get to 160 odd and I definitely wouldn't have backed them to get anywhere near without a significant contribution from Root.

3 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Wait, is that the second Test in a row that Joe Root was run out? Can we blame Bairstow for that one too?

He was run out in the first inning. It was down to a combination of brilliant fielding and cramp though rather than Bairstow. Or at least any physical contribution from Bairstow. I can't rule out Bairstow obtaining some sort of Root voodoo doll after getting dropped again.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Good call. I have to say I didn't see pretty much any of today coming. I thought Sri Lanka, with the lessons from the first test, would put up a solid enough score. Even having seen them on the way to getting bowled out fairly cheaply this morning before I went to work I still thought England might struggle to get to 160 odd and I definitely wouldn't have backed them to get anywhere near without a significant contribution from Root.

It could have been a close thing if Sri Lanka had managed to break the Sibley/Buttler partnership since I wouldn't have too much confidence in the lower order on a spinning pitch. It was a good victory for England, I think it's safe to assume India will be a more challenging opposition but it's been a decent warm-up for that series.

Archived