TheLastWolf

3 minutes ago, Hereward said:
12 hours ago, Paxter said:

So I expect England to win 2-1 :P. 

Curse you, pax!

I second the motion...

*Grumble Grumble *

263/3, 89.3, stumps... 

Kuldeep instead of Nadeem and better field setup, proper rotation,.... Kohli's paternity break seems to have meddled with his captaincy. Birth of a son or a daughter has historically (last decade) caused the dad player to either experience great success or poor streak. MSD, Warnie, Raina, Yuvi (miss him, Broad won't tho ;)) Only time will tell in Virat's case. 

Oh and the Virushka daughter is named Vamika BTW

PLUS.... 

Washi is playing his second test at his home ground, Chennai. Under utilizing, late introduction, just like in RCB under same captain. Ashwin was continued too much without a break

4 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Also pleased for Root that he's shaking off the "50 and out" malaise. 

Hundred in 100th Test

Colin Cowdrey

Javed Miandad

Gordon Greenidge

Alec Stewart

Inzamam-ul-Haq

Ricky Ponting (2 X 100s)

Graeme Smith

Hashim Amla

JOE ROOT

- Joe Root is the first cricketer to score a century in his 98th, 99th and 100th Test.

Too bad about Sibley 

7 minutes ago, Paxter said:

But England need to go on from 263/3 and turn it into a big score

RR 2.94. Possible, probable, unless Ind do a home comeback 

Plus Roots got minor cramps

Interesting Stat: The last time India picked three or fewer wickets in the opening day (full day's play) of a Test after bowling first was against Australia at SCG (348/2), Virat Kohli's maiden Test as full time skipper. 

Sources Cricbuzz 

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

Hundred in 100th Test

Colin Cowdrey

Javed Miandad

Gordon Greenidge

Alec Stewart

Inzamam-ul-Haq

Ricky Ponting (2 X 100s)

Graeme Smith

Hashim Amla

JOE ROOT

It occurs to me that I’m surely the only person on this board that has seen all of those actually play!

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

But England need to go on from 263/3 and turn it into a big score.

Yeah, very good first day for England but they need to score five hundred plus. Stokes and Pope both don't have much recent cricket under their belts either.

I feel a bit sorry for Sibley getting out right at the end of the day but, credit to him, he still did really well. I have to say watching the Sri Lanka series I thought he was going to be an issue for England in India.

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

Washi is playing his second test at his home ground, Chennai. Under utilizing, late introduction, just like in RCB under same captain. Ashwin was continued too much without a break

To be fair he was going at 4.5 an over and didn't look like taking a wicket. You probably give him a bit of leeway as a young player in tough conditions but he wasn't making it easy for Kohli to throw him the ball.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, very good first day for England but they need to score five hundred plus. Stokes and Pope both don't have much recent cricket under their belts either.

I feel a bit sorry for Sibley getting out right at the end of the day but, credit to him, he still did really well. I have to say watching the Sri Lanka series I thought he was going to be an issue for England in India.

That was probably about as good a first day as England would have hoped for.

I think the Sri Lankan series just beforehand may have been good preparation, particularly for Sibley who initially struggled but did get a score in the final innings of the series. It is a shame he couldn't get a well-deserved century.

Burns was also looking decent until that terrible shot.

36 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I think the Sri Lankan series just beforehand may have been good preparation, particularly for Sibley who initially struggled but did get a score in the final innings of the series. It is a shame he couldn't get a well-deserved century.

Yeah, I think having to work on his game against spin has certainly helped. To be fair I think it also helped that there was a lot less assistance on offer for the bowlers than at Galle and Nadeem doesn't appear to be anywhere near as good a bowler as Embuldeniya.

42 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Burns was also looking decent until that terrible shot.

I didn't get up early enough to actually see Burns bat but I will say I think the left handers in England's batting lineup are going to have to come up with a plan for how they're going to play Ashwin. I think they're going to get into trouble if they just sit back and let him bowl at them. In general employing the reverse sweep to knock him off his rhythm might not be a bad idea. I'd guess that's probably something Burns has been thinking about. Having said that firstly he needs to get the shot right and secondly even if that's part of his plan overall it didn't seem to be necessary at that point with him ticking along fine.

Super torn about who I want to win in this India vs England series. On one hand, it's England and I never want them to win anything. But on the other hand I am still butthurt from the Indian win. The salt super amplified by the intolerable Indian fans. English fans on the other hand are tolerable by comparison. But it feels so wrong to want England to win....

Trying to figure out who I hate more is proving more difficult that I thought.....:dunce:

12 hours ago, Hereward said:

It occurs to me that I’m surely the only person on this board that has seen all of those actually play!

I wish I'd see Javed play. That photo of him with the bat raised and Lillee ducking is burned into my mind - he must've been a fiery character as well as an amazing talent.

I know it's way too early to draw any conclusions, but I think England would be sitting back feeling satisfied about their selection. India's pacemen have really kept the runs down and taken wickets, while the spinners have released the pressure. Even Ashwin is going at nearly 3 and only bowled a few maidens. I can see Stokes being called upon to bowl quite a lot. 

Objectively speaking England are in a very strong position but I do think they'll be mindful of the fact that they scored 477 in the first innings last time they played in Chennai and lost by an innings. Having got to 473-4 I think they'd want to get as close to 600 as they can. Losing the three frontline batsmen as they were looking to accelerate in the final session pegged them back a bit. Still, overall a great effort from England and Root, with no centuries in 2021, has scored two double hundreds in his first 3 tests in 2021.

9 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

But on the other hand I am still butthurt from the Indian win. The salt super amplified by the intolerable Indian fans. English fans on the other hand are tolerable by comparison. But it feels so wrong to want England to win....

I do feel a bit bad for India fans that they're so often characterised as awful. Yeah, it's not hard to find some insufferable Indian fans on the internet but I think that's a combination of how many India fans there are and, you know, the internet. Every India fan I've actually spoken to has been fine.

Anyway, a drawn series or 1-0 win for either side gets Australia into the Test Championship final so that's something you can root for as an Australia fan.

8 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Objectively speaking England are in a very strong position but I do think they'll be mindful of the fact that they scored 477 in the first innings last time they played in Chennai and lost by an innings. Having got to 473-4 I think they'd want to get as close to 600 as they can. Losing the three frontline batsmen as they were looking to accelerate in the final session pegged them back a bit. Still, overall a great effort from England and Root, with no centuries in 2021, has scored two double hundreds in his first 3 tests in 2021.

I think the eventual 555/8+ (not sure if they'll declare overnight) seems like a great first innings score. Now the hard work begins for the bowlers, that's a formidable Indian batting line-up, although it might help Bess and Leach that they'll have some freedom to set attacking fields with such a big lead.

8 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I do feel a bit bad for India fans that they're so often characterised as awful. Yeah, it's not hard to find some insufferable Indian fans on the internet but I think that's a combination of how many India fans there are and, you know, the internet. Every India fan I've actually spoken to has been fine.

I've never really encountered any obnoxious Indian fans either.

5 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Ugh. I've missed two days of play so far (it's at the worst time for me to catch any of the match due to me usually being completely asleep during those hours). Will check out the highlights and maybe try to wake up really early to catch tomorrow's sessions.

Sadly the selection of birds in Chennai doesn't seem to be living up to Galle so far.

11 hours ago, Raja said:

Yeah, we're certainly intolerable, aren't we?

A good reminder to stay away from the cricket thread. Yeesh.

Come baaaaaaaaaack Raja!!!

I tell TWS all the time that his Aussie centric view is far worse than any Indian fan I’ve ever met!

15 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Anyway, a drawn series or 1-0 win for either side gets Australia into the Test Championship final so that's something you can root for as an Australia fan.

As an intolerable fan myself, I tend to hang with other intolerable fans (mostly friends), so the banter is all part of the fun (not so much when you lose to their "B Team" as they like to constantly remind me :crying:). So I just need some ammo for trash talking because currently I've got nothing.

I can see how my post, without some qualifiers, probably came across a lot harsher on the general Indian fans than intended.

Can't say I particularly care about the Test Championship. Forgot it was a thing until just now. But considering the tour is in India, it would be great if they lost at home. It should sting considerably more because its England :laugh:

First blood to England with Jofra snaring Rohit! 

ETA: And Gill follows - that was a poor shot. This is down to the seasoned pros now: Puj and Virat. If one of these don’t make a century, I’m expecting an England win...!

India looked in serious trouble for a bit there but Pujara and Pant have calmed things down a bit. For as much as you describe Pant as calming things down anyway.

Vince followed up his 98 not out with a 95 in the final. His BBL stint worked out pretty well.

My favourite part of the game was Carlos Brathwaite trying to run a quick two though. He’s a big lad and that’s definitely not what he signed up for.

ETA: I’ve jinxed Pujara there. He’s unlucky with that dismissal. Bess has bowled surprisingly well though.

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

West Indies whaaaaaaaaat.

That was incredible. A lot of records broken. 

I don't think I'd even noticed that match was being played but it does look like a crazy scorecard. That must be one of the best innings ever played on debut by Mayers.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:05 PM, ljkeane said:

To be fair he was going at 4.5 an over

Nadeem too was expensive. And if washi had been introduced early on with Ashwin (both Chennai boys) things might have been different. 

and didn't look like taking a wicket.

Rohit dropped one off Washi plus stumping miss, run out miss by Pant 

going at 4.5 an over and didn't look like taking a wicket. You probably give him a bit of leeway as a young player in tough conditions but he wasn't making it easy for Kohli to throw him the ball

Acknowledged. But kohli could have introduced him earlier on when they wouldn't have targeted him and he wouldn't have been under pressure in unfavorable conditions. 

Like now. 

That 85*, 12 boundaries and couple of sixers,.... Beautiful though. Nobody will believe he's 21, that it's just his second match, first at home ((first match too half century at an unbreachable (not anymore) fortress away from home)). Composure was evident. Looking forward to Jadeja's successor 

Archived