Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

On 2/5/2021 at 9:45 PM, Hereward said:

It occurs to me that I’m surely the only person on this board that has seen all of those actually play!

Ya old timer... 

On 2/6/2021 at 7:24 AM, The Winged Shadow said:

The salt super amplified by the intolerable Indian fans.

Hope I'm not one 

On 2/6/2021 at 5:00 PM, ljkeane said:

I do feel a bit bad for India fans that they're so often characterised as awful

Glad 

Yeah, it's not hard to find some insufferable Indian fans on the internet but I think that's a combination of how many India fans there are and, you know, the internet.

India is soon going to overtake China in population, thanks to Modi's aatmanirbhar bharat program ;)

Every India fan I've actually spoken to has been fine.

ME, ME, ME,!!! :commie:(not meme) 

On 2/7/2021 at 1:17 AM, williamjm said:

I've never really encountered any obnoxious Indian fans either

Great! 

The jingoism from fellow fans rile me, especially with Pakistan. They called Sania Mirza (Indian tennis player) a slut and whatnot for marrying Shoaib Malik (Pakistani Cricketer) 

On 2/6/2021 at 9:12 PM, Raja said:

Yeah, we're certainly intolerable, aren't we?

A good reminder to stay away from the cricket thread. Yeesh.

You are already mostly absent yaar! 

On 2/7/2021 at 1:17 AM, williamjm said:

Sadly the selection of birds in Chennai doesn't seem to be living up to Galle so far.

Chennai is not as 'green' as the latter. Pollution skyrocketing. I was there for a while. If Delhi has worst smog, Chennai ain't far behind. Cleaning up the Cooum may help. 

Birding in the outskirts marshes is great I hear tho 

3 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Looks like Root decided to play it safe, probably thinking about the Gabba.

Or even Pant going at like 10 an over against Leach yesterday. I don't mind England wanting to get the lead over 400 or whatever but the thing for me is why were the batsmen from Buttler on down all going at well short of a run a ball? Come on, with a lead of 380 plus you should be pushing the pace of the game. Still, with the wicket England aren't in a bad position.

I’m willing to give England the benefit of the doubt. I think they did try to push the scoring but India/Ashwin were just too good.

Of course, they are still heavy favourites to win with assistance for Bess and Leach.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Well, this isn't going well :uhoh:

Eng takes the series lead, 1-0... 

You know guys, I loved the time where the Brits had names like Flintoff, Cook, Broad (no pun intended), etc 

Now I have to endure Lollipop, Dumbass and Benchoxx

Spoiler

Ollie Pope, Dom Bess and Ben Stokes 

We'll, yeah 

Strong performance from England.

Take a bow, Joe Root. After long having had the knack of getting out for pretty 50s, he's well and truly gone big with scores of 228, 186 and 218 in his last three Tests.

England have got some decisions to make about their bowling attack for the next test.

I think the plan was definitely to rotate Anderson and Broad but having seen the reverse on offer I'd be inclined to stick with Anderson. With the next test being at Chennai you'd expect similar conditions and Anderson's your best bowler to exploit that and there's no guarantee it'll be the same at Ahmedabad. If they had Wood in the squad I'd say rotating him and Archer to keep a fresh fast bowler would be a good idea but in the absence of a like for like replacement they'll probably stick with Archer. The change I would make is getting Moeen Ali in for Bess. It's a little harsh on Bess but the reason they stopped picking Ali was the lack of control but Bess isn't any better on that front at the moment and you probably get more good balls from Ali. He's also a better batsman.

10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

England have got some decisions to make about their bowling attack for the next test.

I think the plan was definitely to rotate Anderson and Broad but having seen the reverse on offer I'd be inclined to stick with Anderson. With the next test being at Chennai you'd expect similar conditions and Anderson's your best bowler to exploit that and there's no guarantee it'll be the same at Ahmedabad.

It was definitely a spectacular over from him to get rid of Gill and Rahane.

If there's a late decision not to play Broad in the second Test then I think he'll be really fired up by the time we get to Ahmedabad.

Jofra Archer will miss the second Test due to injury so it looks like England might have an easy solution to the Anderson-or-Broad conundrum by playing both (although Woakes and Olly Stone would be other options in the squad).

There also seems to be some speculation that there might be a return for Moeen Ali in place of Dom Bess.

13 hours ago, williamjm said:

Jofra Archer will miss the second Test due to injury so it looks like England might have an easy solution to the Anderson-or-Broad conundrum by playing both (although Woakes and Olly Stone would be other options in the squad).

There also seems to be some speculation that there might be a return for Moeen Ali in place of Dom Bess.

So England have stuck to their rotation policy and Broad's in for Anderson. Other than that Foakes in for Buttler was a given and they've brought Ali in for Bess. Other than that both Woakes and Olly Stone are in the 12 man squad so it's one of them in for Archer. Stone's the obvious like for like replacement but it's a big ask to expect a player with only one previous test under their belts to come in and play a big role.

Jeez. I’m a fan of the rotation policy but there are a lot of changes. I wonder if four changes after winning the first match of a series is some sort of record!

Happy but also nervous for Mo. 

I’m expecting India to bounce back strongly, but if England win the toss again you never know...

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

Jeez. I’m a fan of the rotation policy but there are a lot of changes. I wonder if four changes after winning the first match of a series is some sort of record!

Hmm,...Wondering the same...

Happy but also nervous for Mo. 

Me happy and confident...

I’m expecting India to bounce back strongly, but if England win the toss again you never know...

India is likely to see two changes, with leftarm spinners in the first Test here with spin all-rounder Axar Patel replacing Shahbaz Nadeem and wrist spinner Kuldeep Yadav coming in for Washington Sundar. Dropping Washingston would be unfortunate be cause his 'sundar' (beautiful) 85 in the first Test was a high-quality innings under pressure. Asked to bowl to a 7-2 field, he could not be his own self with the ball. India's senseless use of DRS meant that when Washington found the edge of Jos Buttler's bat, the team had run out of reviews. Then Rohit Sharma put down a sitter at mid-wicket off Washi's bowling. And in the second innings, Washington, almost totally ignored, sent down just one over in the fag end of the innings. It just did not appear fair. Whatever be the combination or the nature of the track, Virat Kohli's rather bizarre management of overs (like in RCB, IPL) has to improve.If you compare the symphony between the field settings and the bowling changes Ajinkya Rahane's captaincy in the last three Tests in Australia where India came back gloriously, the Mumbaikar's handling of the bowling and the field placements was far superior to the Delhite's

Parphrased from a leading daily's sport section...

I totally have to agree. I've been saying the same ever since....

PS India opt to bat. Smart toss decision

So it seems like India have really rolled the dice with this pitch but they won the toss and Rohit Sharma’s batting really well so it might come off.

ETA: Yeah, England are in trouble here. If you just look at Rohit's score just comfortably going up it seems like it's another good pitch to bat on but him and Rahane are actually batting really well. I think 300 is a good score on this pitch and batting last is going to be a serious problem.

Hmm, I thought that was just a speculative appeal but, tell you what, I’m not convinced that there’s anything behind the line there. Sharma’s got a bit lucky with that call.

ETA: It doesn’t matter too much in the end because he hasn’t lasted too much longer. Anyway, fantastic innings from Rohit Sharma. I don’t don’t think it’s anywhere near as easy to bat on this pitch as he’s made it look. That could well be a match winning innings.

Archived