Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

Er, after the umpires having a good game last time out the third umpire’s having a bit of a nightmare here. I’m not convinced the Rohit stumping call was right and they’ve just not looked at the right bit of the Rahane review and missed what looked like a wicket.

He’s been bailed out a bit by Rahane quickly getting out too but it’s not great.

Pretty standard performance from Ali really. A couple of jaffas and a lot of loose balls. I think we've seen enough of him as a test bowler that we know this is what you're going to get. The concern for me is that he didn't bowl with enough control against Pant to let Root bowl to him with two offspinners like he wanted to. That should, in theory at least, be a lot easier for him than against the right hander Sharma.

ETA: Speaking of Ali bowling the odd jaffa. I didn't see it live because it was a bit early this morning but Kohli's complete disbelief that he was out after getting clean bowled through the gate was good. :lol:

It is nice to have sound in the stadium made by actual spectators rather than technology.

It wasn't a terrible day for England with them taking 6 wickets but I think India will be happier, it's always good to have runs on the board and the pitch could get increasingly tricky as the game goes on.

10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Er, after the umpires having a good game last time out the third umpire’s having a bit of a nightmare here. I’m not convinced the Rohit stumping call was right and they’ve just not looked at the right bit of the Rahane review and missed what looked like a wicket.

The Rohit one did feel like the batsman was being given the benefit of the doubt because it didn't seem clear whether there was any part of his foot behind the line.

The Rahane review was embarrassingly bad from the officials, they didn't even need to use any technology the footage seemed clear if they had just looked at the correct part.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

ETA: Speaking of Ali bowling the odd jaffa. I didn't see it live because it was a bit early this morning but Kohli's complete disbelief that he was out after getting clean bowled through the gate was good. :lol:

I think that on its own was enough to justify Moeen's selection.

Haha I actually think that’s harsh TWS. India would’ve probably been bowled out cheaply themselves if not for that incredible knock from Rohit. It’s a much more bowler friendly surface than we saw in the first test.

On 2/14/2021 at 2:44 AM, williamjm said:

It is nice to have sound in the stadium made by actual spectators rather than technology.

YOU SIR, ARE ONE FINE GENTLEMAN! The Crowd at Chepauk is always great... Seems like they opened the I, J & K stands after 9 years. Legal tussle. Watched a CSK match there in the IPL back in the good old days when it was invincible 

17 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

England being England again. Not good at all.

Love them! Praise their souls for a underwhelming performance. I want a summit clash between Ind and NZ. WTC 

17 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Bangladesh might scrape through, but not looking great.

Poor guys... 

15 hours ago, Paxter said:

Windies get a rare win away from home! And with what is essentially a second XI. Got to give them credit there

That debut double hundred's still in my mind, what's his name... 

India are in all sorts at 80-odd for five (including a run out and two stumpings)....but it's already game over you'd think.

Most sides would probably struggle to make more than 150 in the fourth innings on a wicket like this.

Lol. Ash got his 29th fifer in his 77th test, becomes first to scalp 200 lefties, gets 391 total as of now... 

Meanwhile this guy gets out by a Leach and Foakes beauty 

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

India are in all sorts at 80-odd for five (including a run out and two stumpings)....but it's already game over you'd think.

Most sides would probably struggle to make more than 150 in the fourth innings on a wicket like this.

Even as I type, the English are defiant. But my silver's still on India like you 

@Xray the Enforcer, @Hereward,

Spotted a few egret sp. in Chepauk, on TV of course 

Might be a dozen cattle and little ones each 

But the real treats were something I'd never have thought I'd see, an osprey and (most likely) Indian Eagle owl. The latter from a friend onfield. 

Few Brahminy Kites 

PS

Axar is OK enough in the bowling department, though Washi has loads more untapped potential, but he's so far failed to fill the batting shoes. Kohlis getting back his MOJO tho 

17 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Meanwhile this guy gets out by a Leach and Foakes beauty

Buttler is a decent enough keeper but I don't think he's making those stumpings that Foakes did. He has been a bit unlucky not to play more Tests, it's not as if his batting is particularly lacking either, he's not exactly the new Chris Read with the bat and he was the best English batsman in the first innings.

17 hours ago, Paxter said:

This is some series that Ashwin is having...

Lame GoT/ Abomination/ Asoiaf joke... 

KING IN THE SOUTH..!!! 

22 hours ago, Paxter said:

On Virat - his last century for India in any format was in November 2019. He is due you'd think. 

Semi Reverse jinx pax... 

Beautifully played half century 

12 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

@TheLastWolf Indian Eagle Owl! Daaaaaamn that's awesome

Ya, but I only got to see a blurry pic by my friend 

12 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Totally off the topic of cricket, I got a lifer yesterday that had been evading me for years: Common Redpoll. So, good birding all around!

Cool! 

5 hours ago, williamjm said:

Buttler is a decent enough keeper but I don't think he's making those stumpings that Foakes did. He has been a bit unlucky not to play more Tests, it's not as if his batting is particularly lacking either, he's not exactly the new Chris Read with the bat and he was the best English batsman in the first innings.

Foakes is easily my favorite English Test wicketkeeper now... 

MSD forever tho... 

I'm still crying after his retirement. What a captain! What a man! 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Is this series going to be simple as "bat first - win"?

Only in these couple of unusually bizarre Chepauk tests

Day night pink ball Ahmedabad IIRC next... 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Ashwin has put in one of the great all-round performances in this match. Perhaps he can even snatch MoM from Rohit.

I thought Rohit was a DaD!? Just kidding. Excuse/Pardon the lame joke. Couldn't resist 

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

Ashwin has put in one of the great all-round performances in this match. Perhaps he can even snatch MoM from Rohit.

He did but that's a travesty for me. He bowled really well but Moeen Ali didn't bowl particularly well and got 8 wickets. He'd have had to have an absolute nightmare by his standards to not pick up a hat full of wickets on that pitch. Getting a hundred was a great effort but he came in when India already had more than enough runs, it was basically a free hit and he rode his luck more than a little against a tired England side to get there.

Maybe it was a little easier to bat on the first day but to get 160 in the manner Rohit Sharma did was an absolutely fantastic performance. That basically won the game for India. If he'd got a perfectly respectable 30 or 40 I think it would have been a lot more of a nervy affair for India.

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

Is this series going to be simple as "bat first - win"?

I don't think it mattered too much in this one. It would probably have been a bit more difficult batting second but having comfortably the best spinner in the match in Ashwin I think they still would have won.

Where to now for England? India looked a completely different side in this test (esp in the spin department), and at the same time a number of fragilities emerged for the tourists that I think could plague them for the rest series. 

The spinners took wickets but were unable to keep the runs down, the two paceman tried hard but were far short of Archer and Anderson and the top order just looks rubbish. Bring back Keaton Jennings and/or Jonny!

An aside: that win snapped a four match losing streak for Virat as captain. But his century-less run continues...

Archived