Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

England have gone with Archer, Anderson and Broad. So they’re really rolling the dice on seam coming into play. I thought they’d go with Woakes if they went for a third seamer too so that’s a fairly long tail.

Bairstow and Crawley are in for Lawrence and Burns in the top three too.

Terrible review by Bairstow there. With the instant review, he must have thought he had hit it (when he had just hit his shoe instead) but that was stone dead plumb. Looks like it could be a good match!

Yeah, he must have thought he hit it. There’s no other way it wouldn’t be out.

Not the best start for England at all. They were probably pretty reliant on Root anyway but they definitely are now.

ETA: They’ve named this stadium the Narendra Modi Stadium? Hmm.

Definitely in a tricky position, with Stokes and Pope lacking runs and previous success in these conditions. But it could be a low scoring test.

Axar has gone for a few runs but also bowled some pearlers. Lovely to watch.

Crawley’s dismissal almost a carbon copy of Jonny’s. Hard to really deal with the variation Axar is sending down.

Maybe Stokes should just swing from the hips here? Not sure how else England can get any sort of score.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

England have gone with Archer, Anderson and Broad. So they’re really rolling the dice on seam coming into play. I thought they’d go with Woakes if they went for a third seamer too so that’s a fairly long tail.

Kohli has gone with Ashwin, Axar and Washington and I'd say it's paying dividends... 2 ticked out of three. Bonus from Ishant, Washi with the willow more than the pink ball ig

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Bairstow and Crawley are in for Lawrence and Burns in the top three too

First one wasted a review. The other had a quick fifty before walking back. Not bad overall

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Nice from Ishant in his hundredth

Beautiful

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

ETA: They’ve named this stadium the Narendra Modi Stadium? Hmm.

56 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Modi is even more popular in Gujarat than the rest of India, so I guess no surprises there...

I'll get to Modi later... 

57 minutes ago, Paxter said:

really, really don’t want to curse him...but this has been a very pretty 40 from Crawley.

You haven't. 

Not much anyway 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

This could be an exciting match. Fast outfield, seam and swing, and possibly spin.

Since your jinxed don't extend to match predictions, I'd agree 

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

Terrible review by Bairstow there. With the instant review, he must have thought he had hit it (when he had just hit his shoe instead) but that was stone dead plumb. Looks like it could be a good match!

Captain too 

And Modi... He is popular but not for much right reasons. A school dropout selling tea (chaiwallah) becoming the Prime Minister of one of the rising superpowers of the world sounds like perfect material for underdog rise story but isn't. Hindus are the majority in India and Modi along with RSS/BJP/VHP etc and other radical Hindutva outfits and political parties have used 'accidental' religious riots and religious jingoism to their benefit 

Sorry for the political rambling, ranting 

Not sure where to from here for England. They’ve played one spinner on a wicket where five wickets have fallen to spin in less than 30 overs (I was supportive of their selection...whoops).

Stokes maybe a tad unlucky but the rest of the top order was blown away. 

22 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Not sure where to from here for England. They’ve played one spinner on a wicket where five wickets have fallen to spin in less than 30 overs (I was supportive of their selection...whoops).

The added problem for England is that it still may well get a lot more difficult to bowl spin under the lights if there's a lot of dew. The issue is England aren't going to get there to take advantage but India will.

ETA: England have a real habit of collapsing in a heap against spinners not spinning the ball. Axar Patel has run through them with straight balls here and Roston Chase did the same last summer.

9 hours ago, Paxter said:

It is easy to say with hindsight but they have clearly misjudged the pitch. At least Leach seemed to be bowling OK on it.

That was definitely a vintage England batting collapse. Admittedly, it doesn't look like an easy pitch for the first day and the Indian batsmen didn't look too comfortable but they would still have hoped for better, especially after Crawley managed to provide a bit of a platform to begin with.

The stadium does look very impressive, I'm sure it will be even more impressive when it is full.

Yup I’ll be the first to put my hand up and say I got it wrong with the selection too. I thought three quality seamers under lights might be more threatening than more full tosses from Dom Bess...but actually England needed at least two spinners on this deck.

It’s not a raging turner like the last test, but there is enough natural variation off the wicket to cause a lot of problems for batsmen against finger spin.

At the end of the day though: it’s England’s batting that is the problem. Root’s recent success was masking what is still their big issue, particularly away from home when you’re not getting much from Stokes.

Archived