Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

Root an almost farcical 4-5.

Is the pitch really that bad? I'm going to say yes. The ball rags square a couple of times an over, then skids through straight from the same spot. The only way really to make runs is to hope that the seamers come on (hence why openers Rohit and Crawley got runs).

I wouldn't be surprised if Ishant and Bumrah don't get a bowl in the second innings.

It's obviously really difficult to bat out there but I have to say against Patel in particular, who bowls quite fast and is darting the ball in, you have to play for the straight ball if you're playing a defensive shot. If one spins and takes the edge fair enough but after everyone got out lbw last time there has to be a bit of adjustment.

ETA: I don’t think this match is making the third day is it?

33 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Test like this!

Reminds of the match at Pune in 2017 when India got rolled for 100 in both innings.

I’ve got to say...I’m not really happy with any of these pitches. The first Chennai pitch was toss-dependent. And the second and third tests have spun from the first session and are no chance of making Day 5. It doesn’t really make for the best standard cricket IMO.

57 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Reminds of the match at Pune in 2017 when India got rolled for 100 in both innings.

I’ve got to say...I’m not really happy with any of these pitches. The first Chennai pitch was toss-dependent. And the second and third tests have spun from the first session and are no chance of making Day 5. It doesn’t really make for the best standard cricket IMO.

In England we raely get to the fifth day these days.  Is it the same in India?  Although this is quite extreme!  The batsmen seem to have no chance.

Kohli should have sent Washi instead of Ashwin with Pant. Both left armers against southpaw bowling. Easy picks. No phenomenonal Root bowling yet. India could have been 150/5 then instead of 133/8, eventually all out for 145. 

Nothing matters now, but just thoughts 

Batsmen most times dismissed by Ashwin (Tests):

11 BEN STOKES

10 David Warner

9 Alastair Cook

7 Ed Cowan/ James Anderson

Spinners getting a wicket of the first ball of an innings:

Bobby Peel v Aus 1888

Bert Vogler v Eng Oval 1907

R Ashwin v Eng Chennai 2020/21

Axar Patel v Eng Ahmedabad 2020/21 *

Lowest totals for England vs India:

81 Ahmedabad 2020/21 *

101 The Oval 1971

102 Mumbai WS 1979/80

102 Leeds 1986

112 Ahmedabad 2020/21

Most wkts by spinners in a D/N Test

27 Ind v Eng Ahmedabad 2020/21 *

24 Pak v SL Dubai 2017/18

22 Pak v WI Dubai 2016/17

08 Aus v NZ Perth 2019/20

Make that 28. Washi got a consolation last wicket 

Ten-wicket hauls in D/N Tests:

11/70 AXAR PATEL v Eng Ahmedabad 2020/21 *

10/62 Pat Cummins v SL Brisbane 2018/19

10/174 Devendra Bishoo v Pak Dubai 2016/17

Fewest Tests to 400 wickets:

72 M Muralitharan

77 R ASHWIN

80 R Hadlee/ D Steyn

84 R Herath

85 A Kumble

Phew. Root was great with the lucky conditions 

7 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

When was the last time an England captain took ten wickets in a match ...?

One of the commentators said the last England captain to take a five-for was Bob Willis. It wouldn't surprise me if he was the last to take 10 wickets as well.

That was a crazy day of cricket, it felt like the two teams were competing to see who could have the biggest batting collapse - but England are never going to be defeated at that particular contest.

It's certainly a spinning track, but so many of these wickets are down to the ball going with the arm as opposed to a lot of spin undoing the batsmen. Agree with ljkeane a little, people seldom bat an eye if a fast track wraps up a test in 2-3 days.

Also, had no idea Bairstow bats at no 3.

7 minutes ago, Raja said:

It's certainly a spinning track, but so many of these wickets are down to the ball going with the arm as opposed to a lot of spin undoing the batsmen. Agree with ljkeane a little, people seldom bat an eye if a fast track wraps up a test in 2-3 days.

Also, had no idea Bairstow bats at no 3.

I think that actually made the track harder to bat on - natural variation off the pitch increases the percentage chance of false shots. If every ball was turning, it would’ve been easier to play for the turn. But you couldn’t do that on this pitch because of the one skidding on. Reminds me of how Warne got a lot of wickets in the second half of his career.

This game was a bit unusual - while this was the 7th Test match since 2000 to be wrapped up on day two, four of those instances involved very weak Zimbabwe and Afghanistan sides. It's the shortest completed Test match since 1935.

22 minutes ago, williamjm said:

That was a crazy day of cricket, it felt like the two teams were competing to see who could have the biggest batting collapse - but England are never going to be defeated at that particular contest.

Tough to put too much blame on the batsmen though. This was a pitch where the batsmen never had much of a chance of playing themselves in unless the seamers were operating. And it wasn't as though batsmen were being undone by great variation - it was straight up off spin but with no way to actually read the spin as it was a complete lottery as to what the ball was going to do from one delivery to the next even for balls pitching in the same area.

I think what can be said is that England totally misread the pitch and got their bowling lineup wrong. And it took far too long for Root to bring himself into the attack even though it was abundantly clear after England's first innings that this was a spinners paradise.

Archived