Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

Overall though...is this IPL going to make it all the way? If more of the domestic and/or overseas players drop, then it might not be tenable. I see the argument for forging ahead, but I'm still not sure it will last. 

It's a difficult call to make but I can see why they'd want the IPL to continue. With strict lockdowns, tragedy and suffering everywhere, and the way that cricket is embedded in the national psyche it seems like stopping the IPL would really hurt what little morale might be left, even if a lot of the international players are out.

3 minutes ago, Jeor said:

It's a difficult call to make but I can see why they'd want the IPL to continue. With strict lockdowns, tragedy and suffering everywhere, and the way that cricket is embedded in the national psyche it seems like stopping the IPL would really hurt what little morale might be left, even if a lot of the international players are out.

IPL offers an escape from reality for a few hours. And BCCI's cash cow 

10 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Boy, am I talking to myself, but CSK is really on a rampage. Moeen. Faf. Rayudu. 

Pollard talked to you with his bat haha.

One of the better IPL innings I’ve ever seen. He was swatting the ball like a fly.

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

Pollard talked to you with his bat haha.

One of the better IPL innings I’ve ever seen. He was swatting the ball like a fly.

Hell, is that guy a Homo Sapien? Brute force. Sigh. Still, CSK on top. NRR unbeatable 

The IPL bubble has burst, with confirmed cases in the KKR and CSK camps. ETA: looks like the CSK cases were false positives. But there have been more cases amongst ground staff.

While this isn’t necessarily a fatal blow (we’ve seen it happen in other sports that have continued, thinking especially of last year’s MLB), it will definitely raise a few questions, particularly for overseas players who may be looking at an early departure.

ETA 2.0: Michael Slater is in the Maldives awaiting permission to enter Australia after leaving his commentary post early. While I share his pain as someone who has previously struggled to enter Aus during the pandemic...I’m not sure it’s a complete disgrace when he was aware of the risks of this happening beforehand. Australia does warn all departing citizens against international travel and does not guarantee unencumbered re-entry.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

ETA 2.0: Michael Slater is in the Maldives awaiting permission to enter Australia after leaving his commentary post early. 

I don’t think that’s the worst place to be stuck for a few days/weeks. 

As long as the outbreaks are limited to specific teams, the IPL may still be able to continue through a combination of postponements and rescheduling. But if it spreads to a larger number of teams I think they're going to be in trouble.

To keep it going as long as they did was quite a feat. And I imagine in some way they may have helped morale for a little bit. But it was always going to be a mighty struggle to get to the finish line. Right decision in the end.

Aussies off to the Maldives, everyone else should be able to get home.

Correct call to postpone, but hardly a difficult decision in the end with the bubble burst and uncertainty over how long it would take to re-establish.

ETA: Agree @Jeor. In hindsight, the UAE model (like last year’s postponed tournament) was the way to go once again. With no crowds allowed, playing in India was more symbolic than anything else and made logistics extremely difficult.

3 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Now if the whole format could get cancelled, that would be great!

Covid and 2021 and eventual Doomsday Apocalypse Armageddon blah blah want to cancel the whole Homo Sapiens species I heard. I'm fine with it as long as Mumbai loses. We are a virus. 

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

My only means of escape from reality went poof! 

Haha you’re not the only one.

I have recently got into surfing as a spectator sport...the Pro Tour is currently on in Australia so you know that won’t be cancelled!

Plus, like cricket, the tournament goes for many days and there is a lot of waiting in between the action :P.

11 hours ago, Paxter said:

Haha you’re not the only one.

Phew

11 hours ago, Paxter said:

have recently got into surfing as a spectator sport...the Pro Tour is currently on in Australia so you know that won’t be cancelled!

Plus, like cricket, the tournament goes for many days and there is a lot of waiting in between the action :P.

Tsk Tsk Tsk 

8 hours ago, Paxter said:

Umm hi.

Stuart MacGill kidnapped?

Now I’ve heard everything.

Heh? 

Archived