Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

TheLastWolf

23 hours ago, Paxter said:

Umm hi.

Stuart MacGill kidnapped?

Now I’ve heard everything.

If I was going to pick which 90s/2000s Australian leg spinner with hundreds of Test wickets was most likely to be the target of a kidnapping plot it wouldn't be McGill I would pick.

It does sound like a terrifying experience for him.

6 hours ago, williamjm said:

If I was going to pick which 90s/2000s Australian leg spinner with hundreds of Test wickets was most likely to be the target of a kidnapping plot it wouldn't be McGill I would pick.

Hah, yes. The guy was an excellent spinner and if Warne hadn't been around, MacGill easily would have played 100+ Tests and got 400+ Test wickets. Poor guy just suffered from terrible career timing.

Still no idea what the kidnapping was about, although the cops have said there was no personal/monetary debt involved, which was what I first thought when I heard of it.

22 hours ago, Jeor said:

Hah, yes. The guy was an excellent spinner and if Warne hadn't been around, MacGill easily would have played 100+ Tests and got 400+ Test wickets. Poor guy just suffered from terrible career timing.

Still no idea what the kidnapping was about, although the cops have said there was no personal/monetary debt involved, which was what I first thought when I heard of it.

MacGill Dinesh Karthik (DK) 

Warne MSD

Here, you old timers will love him 

BTW... 

Parallel teams and tours? 

Spoiler

Not for the first time, India will have two teams touring simultaneously for international matches.

The first eleven will be in England for the World Test Championship final against New Zealand and the five-Test England series, and the second in Sri Lanka for white ball cricket.

Perhaps that is the route international cricket needs to take, thus ensuring that while one country eats the cake, another will have it too. In 1998, India played the Sahara Cup in Canada and in the Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur simultaneously

Spoiler

Few other teams have the luxury of being able to field two teams simultaneously. England, yes. And perhaps Australia too.

Spoiler

Keep the best for Tests

Top players, however, tend to be crucial to more than one format. Virat Kohli, Jasprit Bumrah, Ben Stokes, Kane Williamson, Babar Azam, Rashid Khan and others are invaluable members of their teams in all formats. But the idea would be to keep the best for the Tests while the best of the rest play the second rung white ball teams. This will mean a great deal to such countries which seldom, if ever, get to play the top Test teams.

Cricket needs to rediscover its evangelical spirit. In 1929-30, England fielded two international teams, one led by Freddie Calthorpe which was the first to visit the West Indies, and the other by Harold Gilligan which travelled to New Zealand. Both hosts were recent entrants into the Test fold, and England felt it was necessary to promote the game in these new regions.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:39 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Why should Mathew Hayden become a Modistan? 

Interesting one. I don't think he intended for it to be a Modi-defence, but it can certainly be read that way.

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

Interesting one. I don't think he intended for it to be a Modi-defence, but it can certainly be read that way.

I loved him in CSK as a kid. Now not so much. Truth is Modi, Shah and Co. were grossly unprepared for the second wave rampaging India now 

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I loved him in CSK as a kid. Now not so much. Truth is Modi, Shah and Co. were grossly unprepared for the second wave rampaging India now 

Totally. I just wonder whether Hayden is trying to quell anti-Indian racism/sentiment rather than any criticism of Modi and his government.

Some have accused the Aussie government of prejudice, given that they did not ban flights from the UK even when that country was on its knees not long ago. But with India, a ban is in place.

Probably has to do with trust in the healthcare/testing system. They trust the testing system of UK, due to the regulation/quality assurance etc that the system is subjected to and generally complies with. While in India you could probably buy your negative test results if you knew the right person or are wealthy enough. Already a few people who tested negative pre-flight but are testing positive post-flight to Australia. 

Plus, its not like this Aussie government gives a shit about looking racist.

Scheduling drama!

The BCCI has requested that the ECB change the timing of the upcoming five-test series in a bid to create a window for completion of the IPL (probably to now take place in the UAE).

My thoughts:

• This will suck for fans who have already booked tickets/days off work
  • The IPL Part #2 is probably going to be an odd/sub-par affair anyway, as many overseas players won't be available

Oh and England is not going to be playing anything like a full-strength test side against NZ. That is another potentially odd bit of cricket as England will be playing a second XI and NZ will have 1.5 eyes on the WTC Final. 

Fuck racism :whip:

On 5/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, The Winged Shadow said:

Plus, its not like this Aussie government gives a shit about looking racist

On 5/18/2021 at 8:50 AM, Paxter said:

Some have accused the Aussie government of prejudice, given that they did not ban flights from the UK even when that country was on its knees not long ago. But with India, a ban is in place

On 5/18/2021 at 8:50 AM, Paxter said:

Totally. I just wonder whether Hayden is trying to quell anti-Indian racism/sentiment rather than any criticism of Modi and his government.

Sigh 

16 hours ago, Paxter said:

Oh and England is not going to be playing anything like a full-strength test side against NZ. That is another potentially odd bit of cricket as England will be playing a second XI and NZ will have 1.5 eyes on the WTC Final. 

I guess we'll have to wait to see whether there's some squad rotation (maybe likely among the bowlers) but potentially there could be a XI of Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Lawrence, Pope, Foakes, Broad, Leach, Anderson, Wood. Obviously Ben Stokes will be missed and also Buttler and Archer from the strongest side but it's not weakened too much. The biggest issue is likely to be the relative inexperience of the batting line-up.

10 hours ago, williamjm said:

I guess we'll have to wait to see whether there's some squad rotation (maybe likely among the bowlers) but potentially there could be a XI of Burns, Sibley, Crawley, Lawrence, Pope, Foakes, Broad, Leach, Anderson, Wood. Obviously Ben Stokes will be missed and also Buttler and Archer from the strongest side but it's not weakened too much. The biggest issue is likely to be the relative inexperience of the batting line-up.

:devil:

15 hours ago, williamjm said:

I somehow seem to have not typed in Root,  although I did leave a space for him. That would be a big omission.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:08 PM, williamjm said:

I dunno. Stokes, Buttler and Archer are pretty big outs IMO. They are also missing Curran and Woakes, one of whom might’ve been a shot. Moeen and Jonny would not have played anyway, so no great loss there.

I am fairly sure that one of Overton or Robinson will play ahead of Wood.

Archived