Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TheLastWolf

Cricket 40: Paines in the Ashes

Recommended Posts

Pretty crazy that Ashwin beat Lyon to 400 wickets. I think at the start of the Australia tour Ashwin only had 365...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maltaran said:

It seems two day Tests are like buses.

Clearly Afghanistan are the new England.

I was curious how many there had been in total. It looks like there were no 2-day tests between 1946 and 2000 but 8 so far in the 21st Century

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, williamjm said:

Clearly Afghanistan are the new England.

I was curious how many there had been in total. It looks like there were no 2-day tests between 1946 and 2000 but 8 so far in the 21st Century

DRS?

A lot of pundits were using it to explain the inability of batsmen to cope with the pitch in the last match. The theory is that previously you would play the line of the ball and then use your pad to cover the spin. Now apparently batsmen are tied into knots as they know that the pad will get them into trouble with Hawkeye.

Not entirely sure I buy it. I think there has simply been a secular decline in test batting quality and a simultaneous spicing up of pitches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Paxter said:

DRS?

A lot of pundits were using it to explain the inability of batsmen to cope with the pitch in the last match. The theory is that previously you would play the line of the ball and then use your pad to cover the spin. Now apparently batsmen are tied into knots as they know that the pad will get them into trouble with Hawkeye.

Not entirely sure I buy it. I think there has simply been a secular decline in test batting quality and a simultaneous spicing up of pitches. 

I think it's both. DRS makes it a bit harder and batsmen play far less first class cricket so, while they're better limited overs batsmen, they're worse test batsmen than previous generations.

We might have another two day test on our hands if India don't step up with a long innings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pretty terrible performance from England. The last couple of matches the pitches were tough, a lot of the Indian batsmen were struggling too, but this pitch is fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paxter said:

DRS?

A lot of pundits were using it to explain the inability of batsmen to cope with the pitch in the last match. The theory is that previously you would play the line of the ball and then use your pad to cover the spin. Now apparently batsmen are tied into knots as they know that the pad will get them into trouble with Hawkeye.

Not entirely sure I buy it. I think there has simply been a secular decline in test batting quality and a simultaneous spicing up of pitches. 

I think Ljkeane is right in his assessment. DRS does make it a bit more difficult - previously if a batsmen got a good stride forward to use the pads to cover the spin, chances of being given out LBW were small. Add in less first class cricket and more limited overs cricket being played, means batsmen play more aggressively now, are a lot less patient and are thus more susceptible to playing loose shots.

I think that more limited overs cricket (especially the advent of T20) has played a bigger role than pitches or DRS in the explosion of 2-3 day Test matches in the last 20 years. Test cricket moves along much faster now than at any point in previous generations - runs are scored quickly and wickets tumble very often due to batsmen looking to play aggressively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you were offered a hat trick in one over, but going for 6x6 in the next would you take it? That's some claim to fame in the Windies v Sri Lanka match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor old Dom Bess...no wonder he hasn’t been picked lately. Root not giving him a bowl on a pitch on which India’s spinners got the majority of the wickets on Day 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see why. He’s just too loose to rely on in a low scoring match. Root should really be bowling himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty heroic performance from Stokes in this match. Keeping England in it almost single handedly with the big wickets of Virat and Rohit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What do we know about cricket? 200 probably not a terrible first innings score in the end?

ETA: Nope. It was still terrible. Pant has done it again for India...

Edited by Paxter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh I spent most of that Pollard over admiring how neatly trimmed his beard was. I need to get on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

You can see why. He’s just too loose to rely on in a low scoring match. Root should really be bowling himself.

When picking just four bowlers it is crucial that they can all deliver and this did leave Bess exposed as the weakest link.

9 hours ago, Paxter said:

ETA: Nope. It was still terrible. Pant has done it again for India...

I don't imagine there have been many occasions in Tests where Jimmy Anderson has been bowling with the new ball and has been hit for a boundary with a reverse sweep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure England can hide behind the surface in that test. They were just bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you can't put any blame on the pitch here. It was a typical surface that one would expect. England's batting was just woeful especially in the first innings where there were no gremlins in the pitch and the ball was coming onto the bat - 205 all out was well below a par score on that surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Big fan of Bairstow at 3. He looks so angry when he comes out to bat :lol:

Need to see if I can get tickets to NZ and India. Wonder if it's sold out

Edited by Raja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Huh, England go with only the one spinner (Rashid) for the first T20I against India. That’s unexpected, especially after resting Ali for the second half of the test series to get him back in time for this T20 series.

ETA: And they’re opening the bowling with Rashid too which makes picking only the one spinner seem even more strange. It might not matter too much though as this is a bit of a disaster of a start for India.

Edited by ljkeane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Huh, England go with only the one spinner (Rashid) for the first T20I against India. That’s unexpected, especially after resting Ali for the second half of the test series to get him back in time for this T20 series.

ETA: And they’re opening the bowling with Rashid too which makes picking only the one spinner seem even more strange. It might not matter too much though as this is a bit of a disaster of a start for India.

I would have probably picked Moeen in place of Current,  but it's hard to argue with results. Things going very well for the English bowlers so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...