Vinyl - Tell me about your records

Raja

This past weekend I got my first record player, it's nothing fancy and is one of those cheap-ish ones with it's own built in speakers ( Yes, I'm a heathen). I've kinda always wanted a record player, probably more for the novelty of it and the *gorgeous* record covers that vinyl records have than anything else. I'm not at a place where I can afford a proper sound system, but I will probably get one at some point. I'll admit, I spent like 2-3 days debating which records would be my first ones, I ended up picking up a couple of older albums from my favourite artists.

King of Limbs by Radiohead is the first one I picked up - Even though In Rainbows is my favourite radiohead album, there's something about King of Limbs that I absolutely adore. I'll probably pick up In Rainbows at some point, but the B side of King of Limbs is 10/10.

I imagine we'll have *some* posters who have a record collection/ vinyl set up, which were your first records? What's your set up like? And how do I stop myself from buying all the records I want? I'm already looking at record player stands and trying to stop myself from spending more money on records than I should!

I started collecting two - three years ago and have a collection of about 70 albums right now. About half of those are punk records and the rest is mostly an assorted mix of post-punk, new wave, rock, hip-hop and folk.

The first vinyl record I bought was Frank's Wild Years by Tom Waits, which served as a decoration for years before I actually got a record-player (that also has built-in speakers). Franks' Wild Years contains Cold Cold Ground, which is my favourite Waits song, which is why I bought that album.

This vinyl hype is a bit bizarre. It has been 30 years since I last bought a vinyl record. Still have my old collection, though. Even ordered a new player. That's mostly nostalgia, though. The technology is definitely obsolete.

I have several hundred records, and about half of them were purchased in antique stores for 50 cents or so while waiting for my wife to finish shopping.  I have some truly outstanding albums that otherwise no one would have heard of because of this sort of purchase.

For example, "The Fabulous Fritz" was a massive pipe organ in Central Europe, and I have two separate records of it being played in an extravagant and ostentatious manner.  One of them is of my daughter's favorites, and it still gets played once or twice a year when she is feeling it.  And when she listens to "The Fabulous Fritz", so do all our neighbors.

For some reason, the sound from records seems more robust or louder or something along those lines.  You can crank up the same song from the iPod line in, and it doesn't have the same sort of oomph.

Also, album cover art is just so much better on a record than on a CD.  The larger surface really gives you a chance to soak in the glory of the illustrations. 

1 hour ago, Loge said:

This vinyl hype is a bit bizarre. It has been 30 years since I last bought a vinyl record. Still have my old collection, though. Even ordered a new player. That's mostly nostalgia, though. The technology is definitely obsolete.

It might be but tbh, I can't think of a better way to listen to music with someone else.

9 hours ago, Loge said:

It really is, but vinyl does display the art of the album cover better than any other medium. Other than a poster, I guess, but not all album covers get posters. And there are some really cool and beautiful album covers out there.

I have about 30-40 vinyl albums, most of which I plan on displaying on my walls when I finally move into my new place. Mostly lots of prog rock and metal albums. There're a lot of really cool metal album covers out there that are just pure works of art.

On 1/13/2021 at 9:19 PM, Durckad said:

It really is, but vinyl does display the art of the album cover better than any other medium. Other than a poster, I guess, but not all album covers get posters. And there are some really cool and beautiful album covers out there.

I have about 30-40 vinyl albums, most of which I plan on displaying on my walls when I finally move into my new place. Mostly lots of prog rock and metal albums. There're a lot of really cool metal album covers out there that are just pure works of art.

I think, also, vinyl encourages listening to a full album more than digital mediums. My wife and I both have a decent number of albums from our respective parents that make up the backbone of the records that we own, but as we occasionally collect more my rule is that I don’t buy anything new on vinyl that I don’t think I will want to listen to the whole album - or at least a full side - every time I listen to it. Vinyl is great to put on and just putter around the house as long as you don’t need to skip songs. I think of it a bit like it’s a personal music hall of fame because I don’t buy new vinyl records often and it means I like the whole album.

also having just recently moved. Vinyls are fucking worse than books to move. Every bit as heavy when they fill a box and at least most books are small enough that you can use multiple small boxes. You kinda need a bigger more awkward box for vinyl. I’m sure I will move again one day, but I fucking would rather not.

Archived