Soylent Brown

US Politics: Millions Of Impeaches, Impeaches For Me

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

That Olympic swimmer, btw, has now been charged. Klete Keller. Obstructing law enforcement, knowingly entering or remaining in a restricted building or grounds without lawful authority and violent entry and disorderly conduct, according to a criminal complaint.

Sounds like the basic charges that will be filed against everyone, until they determine if they tried to do worse things.

from what I've learnt even if found guilty fast swimming times can greatly reduce sentences.

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Report: ‘Isolated And Angry’ Trump Refuses To Pay Rudy Giuliani For Legal Work
The president is very unhappy with his personal attorney, The Washington Post reported.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-wont-pay-rudy-giuliani-election-legal-work_n_5fffa763c5b6c77d85ecbe46

Typical, and perfect. Fuck you Rudy. 

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Report: ‘Isolated And Angry’ Trump Refuses To Pay Rudy Giuliani For Legal Work
The president is very unhappy with his personal attorney, The Washington Post reported.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-wont-pay-rudy-giuliani-election-legal-work_n_5fffa763c5b6c77d85ecbe46

Huh. I guess twenty thousand bucks a day isn't that expensive, if you're not gonna pay anyway.

6 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Uh, it’s called the downrising. Because they’ll be coming from the bowels of the earth. 

If they're in the bowels of the earth, that literally means they're coming up.

Lawyered. 

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

If they're in the bowels of the earth, that literally means they're coming up.

Lawyered. 

Unless, from your perspective, they’re attacking countries on the other side of the world

6 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Unless, from your perspective, they’re attacking countries on the other side of the world

I was going to say "when you were a child you probably thought you could dig a hole to China," but that saying has to be meaningless in Scotland. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

Curious. So Rudy's shenanigans are legal work 20k US$ per day. Now I found myself wondering, what a competent lawyer would've charged.

I remember people mocking Cohen for attending Western Michigan to study law as being a bottom feeder university. So where does Rudy's alma mater rank (NYU).

2 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Curious. So Rudy's shenanigans are legal work 20k US$ per day. Now I found myself wondering, what a competent lawyer would've charged.

I remember people mocking Cohen for attending Western Michigan to study law as being a bottom feeder university. So where does Rudy's alma mater rank (NYU).

@Mlle. Zabzie

:P

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Competence in law school and the practice of law is not really correlated with the “tier” of law school that one attended. For example, at least two Members of Congress, including Josh Hawley, went to top law schools and clerked for a Supreme Court Justice.

Law firms can be ridiculously snobby. 

This is yet another reason why I won’t realize my lifelong dream of going to law school until I’m 70, because at that point I’m sure to have my inheritance* and give zero fu*ks about what other people think, and I’ll maybe be bored with accounting by that point.

*(my parents stated they would pay for any graduate program EXCEPT law school, so using my inheritance to do so just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling)

Edited by Chataya de Fleury

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Boo, hiss.  However, to answer your other question.  Let’s assume I’m billing a 12 hour day, and this is my only matter.  At my current billing rate, which is pretty market standard for my experience level at a top tier firm, that would run you about $18,000 (rounded a little), give or take, not applying any special fee arrangements or discounts (something like this would probably in the real world have an incentive structure built in).  So, actually, if he’s charging top law firm rates and billing every waking second......not far off?  You can find top law firm rates in any big corporate bankruptcy (including those of yours truly). They are a matter of public record.

If you had a whole TEAM of lawyers, it might run you $150K per day or more if that’s all they were working on.  Now, mind you, I can’t remember the last time I billed a whole day to one matter.  Not how we really roll.  And frankly, we leverage our matters so that the cost leverages down - you are, at least theoretically, paying my rate (at the top of the pyramid) for very few hours and paying a lower rate for our associates.  

5 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Competence in law school and the practice of law is not really correlated with the “tier” of law school that one attended. For example, at least two Members of Congress, including Josh Hawley, went to top law schools and clerked for a Supreme Court Justice.

Law firms can be ridiculously snobby. 

This is yet another reason why I won’t realize my lifelong dream of going to law school until I’m 70, because at that point I’m sure to have my inheritance* and give zero fu*ks about what other people think, and I’ll maybe be bored with accounting by that point.

*(my parents stated they would pay for any graduate program EXCEPT law school, so using my inheritance to do so just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling)

We can.  I will say, Chats, that from 15 years of being on the hiring committee and five on associate review, there is correlation, but correlation is not a perfect predictor.  We do very well by hiring students in the top 5 or 10 of lower tier schools.  But dipping below that rarely turns out.  At the top schools we do well with the top 1/3 of the class, below that rarely turns out well.  But rarely isn’t never, and getting these top students also has a high failure rate.  Actual practice is more than “book smarts” - there’s a lot of people skills, and you really need the ability to synthesize and communicate quickly at the same time you are listening both to text and subtext from your client AND opposing counsel.  And you’d be an awesome lawyer.  Just saying.

10 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

If you had a whole TEAM of lawyers, it might run you $150K per day or more if that’s all they were working on.  Now, mind you, I can’t remember the last time I billed a whole day to one matter.  Not how we really roll.  And frankly, we leverage our matters so that the cost leverages down - you are, at least theoretically, paying my rate (at the top of the pyramid) for very few hours and paying a lower rate for our associates. 

What's $150k a day if you're going to stiff them in the end? 

That's one of the most infuriating aspects of this man. How does he keep getting support from the exact people he's spent his entire life screwing over?

So now we have a website to report suspicious activity in DC.

The Mayor tweeted: “Your neighbors rely on you to say something if you see something.

Report suspicious activity or behavior to MPD: http://iwatchdc.org. If it’s an emergency, dial 911!”

https://www.popville.com/2021/01/dc-inauguration-prep-guard-iwatch/

Also this is uh, interesting:

Thanks to Michael for sharing: “they have put a large fence around Naval Observatory. Home of the Vice President.”

Trivia time (I know the answer, and no cheating!):

How many, if any, representatives voted in favor of impeaching both Bill Clinton and Donald Trump? If there are any, can you name them?

The shortlist is what...about 17 people (the 10 Republicans from now, and the 7 IIRC Dems who broke ranks back in the last millenium). I dont think its the 10 Republicans since it doesnt seem like any of them were around back then.

Of the 7 Democrats, I'll say ....Pelosi.

There was a woman member of Congress I saw yesterday who said she was the only person in the House who had been there for all the impeachment votes, and it wasn’t Pelosi but I don’t know her name. She was a Democrat.

Eta: her name didn’t mean anything to me as a Canadian, so I really can’t recall it.

Edited by Fragile Bird

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There was a woman member of Congress I saw yesterday who said she was the only person in the House who had been there for all the impeachment votes, and it wasn’t Pelosi but I don’t know her name. She was a Democrat.

Eta: her name didn’t mean anything to me as a Canadian, so I really can’t recall it.

Right off the bat I'll say that's not true. There are 35 Democrats and 11 Republicans who were in the House in 1998 who are still there now.

There is in fact 1 Republican who was also in the House in 1974 and is still there now. But Nixon was never impeached, so he doesn't count.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Right off the bat I'll say that's not true. There are 35 Democrats and 11 Republicans who were in the House in 1998 who are still there now.

There is in fact 1 Republican who was also in the House in 1974 and is still there now. But Nixon was never impeached, so he doesn't count.

Fez, she may have said she’s the only one who has voted to impeach each time, I really didn’t pick up on the trivia at the time.

Eta: and if that many were there for all the votes, she must have said she was the only one, right?

Edited by Fragile Bird