WandaVision (spoilers)

RumHam

I watched this morning as well.  My wife was surprised I didn't want to wait for the kids...but I'm willing to re-watch,  though the presented genres of the first two episodes, and in black and white, will likely not impress my two (11 and 9).  

But it was gooooood...

Yea, that was something. I never thought it’d literally be full 60’s style episodes, with so little glimpses of what’s really going on. Even stranger, I think I really enjoyed it as that, it was just kinda ... charming and funny? I’m sure it’ll move away from that as it goes on, but I’m entertained so far. Fees like forever since I’ve watched some MCU so just glad it’s back tbh.

22 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I watched about five minutes of the first episode. Does it carry on like this? Am I missing something because this is really tedious.

Yes, if the Bewitched vibe doesn’t gel with you then there’s nothing in the first two episodes to dissuade you from that.

Rather quaintly charming, with just a touch of uncanny weirdness; I'm very interested to see where this is going though I'm was actually enjoying the fish out of water (60s?) sitcom vibe too.

Very good, very enjoyable. The only thing that would have pleaded me in addition would be a couple of fight scenes, but that wouldn’t really jibe with the tone.

They really do not seem to be in a hurry to elaborate on the central mystery. Which is interesting, it suggests they’re very into the fantasy setup and are going to really delve into a bunch of tv tropes.

I read a couple of reviews that said Bettany wasn’t comfortable with the comic acting but I didn’t think so, I thought he did it very well and he had the best jokes. Olsen very good as well.

As for the mystery of it, the fact somebody is watching her on tv and (possibly somebody else) is trying to communicate with her in the fantasy suggests something is being done to her. On the other hand, she can reverse time and rerun it which does suggest she’s doing it.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I watched about five minutes of the first episode. Does it carry on like this? Am I missing something because this is really tedious.

Sort of. First episode is a 50s sitcom parody, second is 60s. Presumably it carries on like that through the decades. They really lean heavily into the parody, at least in the first two, apart from a couple of scenes it is just a kind of lame sitcom, with a bit of irony, but not that much. I imagine that will decrease also through the episodes but you’re going to have to eat it in the first two.

I refuse to believe that the sitcom stuff is merely window dressing. Yes it's meant to be fun, but at the same time, the tropes and the dialog is furthering the questions of what is going on. 

The dinner scene in the first episode where Mr. Hart seems to choke, and Mrs. Kitty Foreman Hart goes into a loop of, "Stop it"...

When they're doing their magic act in episode two, they're "Glamour" and "Illusion"...and if that isn't a bludgeoning of a clue...

The theory of who noisy neighbor Agatha is, is spot on, in my opinion.  I also have a suspicion that she knows what's actually going on...

Why a bee keeper?

It looks to me that Wanda is doing this to herself (which makes sense given the comic arcs they're adapting) but someone on the outside is able to observe and try to interact with her. I'm assuming the time jumps (Episode 3 I'm assuming will be set in the 1970s with the colour flooding in and will go forwards from there) will bring Wanda closer to the present day and at some point that will cause the illusion to collapse.

The references to HYDRA and Strucker are interesting. HYDRA, or a nascent cell, being involved is possible, but Strucker was fairly clearly killed by Ultron, so that suggests that what's going on may be a form of PTSD brought on by Strucker and HYDRA's "training" of Wanda and everything that's happened since, including Vision's death. OTOH, the advert in the first episode was about Stark Industries, so it might be the company is trying to help Wanda in some fashion.

Spoiler

We also know from the press release that Jimmy and Darcy show up working on a joint mystery together. If they're characters in the sitcom that'd be interesting, especially as Wanda and Vision have never - to our knowledge - met them or know they even exist, so how would they appear?

I know there's a lot of speculation that Vision might not be dead as such and might have survived inside the Mind Stone and could be extracted again, but that feels a bit artificial (and I know Feige's team were adamant that only the snap deaths would be undone, not the non-snap deaths like Vision, Nat, OG Loki, Tony etc, but who knows how long that promise is good for). Or they could go a lot simpler and use dimension-hopping instead.

Something that's interesting: Loki's helmet in the end credits and what appears to be Magneto's, which I think we've seen Wanda wearing in one of the earlier promos.

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Hide contents

We also know from the press release that Jimmy and Darcy show up working on a joint mystery together. If they're characters in the sitcom that'd be interesting, especially as Wanda and Vision have never - to our knowledge - met them or know they even exist, so how would they appear?

Casting spoiler 

"Geraldine" is the little girl Monica from Captain Marvel. So we've already seen people she doesn't know enter her constructed world and lose their memories. I suspect that helicopter with the sword on it that started to break the illusion was a S.W.O.R.D. drone like they used on Agents of Shield.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It’s playing on 50s/60s style sitcomes.  It’s a slow burn but their is something dark underneath.  I’m very curious to see where this goes.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

It looks to me that Wanda is doing this to herself (which makes sense given the comic arcs they're adapting) but someone on the outside is able to observe and try to interact with her. I'm assuming the time jumps (Episode 3 I'm assuming will be set in the 1970s with the colour flooding in and will go forwards from there) will bring Wanda closer to the present day and at some point that will cause the illusion to collapse.

The references to HYDRA and Strucker are interesting. HYDRA, or a nascent cell, being involved is possible, but Strucker was fairly clearly killed by Ultron, so that suggests that what's going on may be a form of PTSD brought on by Strucker and HYDRA's "training" of Wanda and everything that's happened since, including Vision's death. OTOH, the advert in the first episode was about Stark Industries, so it might be the company is trying to help Wanda in some fashion.

Hide contents

I know there's a lot of speculation that Vision might not be dead as such and might have survived inside the Mind Stone and could be extracted again, but that feels a bit artificial (and I know Feige's team were adamant that only the snap deaths would be undone, not the non-snap deaths like Vision, Nat, OG Loki, Tony etc, but who knows how long that promise is good for). Or they could go a lot simpler and use dimension-hopping instead.

Something that's interesting: Loki's helmet in the end credits and what appears to be Magneto's, which I think we've seen Wanda wearing in one of the earlier promos.

Re: the Hydra/Strucker name drop in the "commercial", the first "commercial" in episode 1 referenced Stark Enterprises.  So not sure either is evocative of anything in particular or just pieces of Wanda's history...

The helicopter also had a SWORD emblem on it...but was it an actual drone?

10 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The helicopter also had a SWORD emblem on it...but was it an actual drone?

It was a toy helicopter in Wanda's sitcom world, but I bet in reality it was a drone. 

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I felt like that after the trailer, and was in the minority of one on the board iirc. I'll wait and see what reviews the full season has before committing. 

14 hours ago, sifth said:

Kind of feels like a diet coke, David Lynch show to me. It's weird alright, but I kind of wish it was even more weird, since I'm assume this is mostly taking place in Wanda's head. 

I don't think it's just in her head. I think the people she's interacting with are real and in the same illusion, with the possible exception of Vision. Not sure what's going on there.

Archived