WandaVision (spoilers)

RumHam

1 minute ago, Maltaran said:

That scene with Vision outside when he saw Agnes and the other neighbour reminded me more of the Truman Show than anything else

Yes.  That's what I was just kind of referring to with my immediate previous post.

I think with the neighbours there are times when they start to remember what’s real, and then Wanda reasserts control and everything reverts. More noticeable here because she was losing control of her powers during the pregnancy.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And did she not know she was working for SWORD?  Or did she?  What all these villagers know and what they don't is just really confusing.  The neighbors almost seem to know... but then they don't.  And there are some visuals that almost feel straight out of Legion like the Beekeeper last week and the bizarre hedge trimming of a cinder block wall this week.

:dunno: 

Maybe there's a proximity effect - the neighbours are more in touch with reality when Wanda isn't around, but when she is they're swept up into being what she wants the town to be. And Geraldine being from outside is more able to resist this (my theory is that she was flying over the 'bubble' and got dragged in - she got forced into the role of Geraldine and her helicopter turned into the toy Wanda found in episode 2)

The super speed seems to me to confirm Vision is just a construct, probably of Wanda’s powers. Whether this is substantially different from actually being alive, given the seeming breadth of those powers, remains to be seen.

SWORD in the comics is a kind of space monitoring agency. Here apparently it stands for Sentient Weapon Observation something something, so a bit different, but it follows if they’re observing something they’re not actually in control of.

13 minutes ago, Denvek said:

My question would be - how fake is fake Vision? Is he completely a creation of whatever it is Wanda's done to the neighbourhood, or was he originally a real person whose now trapped in the narrative like the other neighbours are.

I suspect so. Which reminds me of the controversy with the new Wonder Woman. Though personally it's too much of a bizarre impossible situation for me to get outraged over. 

Comic spoilers and speculation:

I know monica has powers in the comics, so there's a decent chance she'll gain them in this show. So if Vision is a real guy remade in vision's image does he keep his powers after the bubble is burst? Is wanda going to freak out at some point and somehow randomly give powers to X% of the population on earth?

I also think it's likely Agnes and some of the other neighbors are not Westview residents who got trapped, but agents of whoever the bad guy is keeping tabs. 

17 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So as a Marvel fan who's exposure to Marvel is a handful of comics (literally... like I own a couple of X-Men omnibus things and I've read like three Spiderman comics) and the 90's Xmen and Spiderman cartoons; she works for SWORD... but that's sort of good guys, right?  Like a more militant SHIELD?

And did she not know she was working for SWORD?  Or did she?  What all these villagers know and what they don't is just really confusing.  The neighbors almost seem to know... but then they don't.  And there are some visuals that almost feel straight out of Legion like the Beekeeper last week and the bizarre hedge trimming of a cinder block wall this week.

:dunno: 

SWORD was created in the early 2000s as an entity dedicated to tracking and dealing with alien incursions.  Its acronym reflected that.  For WandaVision, it seems they've adjusted the acronym to something more to dealing with superhuman weapons...

26 minutes ago, Denvek said:

That (like everything else) is currently unexplained, but I suspect he has whatever powers Wanda wants/needs him to have at any given moment.

My question would be - how fake is fake Vision? Is he completely a creation of whatever it is Wanda's done to the neighbourhood, or was he originally a real person whose now trapped in the narrative like the other neighbours are.

But see... I don't get that vibe with him.  He seems to genuinely be Vision.  He has problems when he swallowed the chewing gum because it "gummed up" his gears.  (See what I did there? ;) )  She asks him if he wants to be "himself" when he first holds Tommy.  He doesn't seem to be the trapped person like the boss and his wife, the doctor, the socialite, etc.

20 minutes ago, Rhom said:

But see... I don't get that vibe with him.  He seems to genuinely be Vision.

I don't know about that. He seems somehow less....serious than Vision? Though that could just be because he's in a sitcom. But at the very least it's weird Wanda had to tell him to help Frank Melamed's character in episode one. 

9 hours ago, Rhom said:

Agreed.  The whole time Vision with outside while Wanda was inside with Geraldine I wanted to yell at the TV “Get in there!!!! Get in there!!!” :lol: 

Was a good way to remind us that Piotr did exist.

I'm pleased quicksilver got a mention after I queried it was odd he wouldn't appear in her Dreamworld.

2 hours ago, Denvek said:

That (like everything else) is currently unexplained, but I suspect he has whatever powers Wanda wants/needs him to have at any given moment.

Well in the comics, vision's personality was based on another character called wonder man. 

I think in this case though it's going to have something to do with the infinity gem embedded in him and more accurately the process where Wanda was trying to destroy the stone safely. I think when she was pulling all that energy out of him she actually removed a template of his soul.

If Wanda's powers get really out of control it should make it relatively easy to bring mutants, fantastic four and arguably any of the Netflix and other marvel shows into the MCU as they wish.

Essentially a reverse "no more mutants" to the comic event

That episode proved to be equal parts Brady Bunch pastiche and general menace. 

So we know this town is in some sort of "bubble"...but is it Wanda created or is it SWORD created or is it Mephisto or could it be a different magic user (a la Agnes/Agatha Harkness???

Some people seem to be stuck...yet Wanda seems to have some sort of control...but, still...

Frankly, I think it is the "real" Vision, in so much as he's the synthetic person we came to know, I'm just not certain he's actually there...he seemed equally susceptible to Wanda manipulating him with that quick edit backwards when he started questioning some things...

Everything about this show just having a nice hook, but such a seemingly complex core mystery is what makes it so good...

6 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Trailer for episode 4. Lots of big 80s hair

So what are they going for here?  I figured it’d be something like Family Ties, but don’t quite see it.

55 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Frankly, I think it is the "real" Vision, in so much as he's the synthetic person we came to know, I'm just not certain he's actually there...he seemed equally susceptible to Wanda manipulating him with that quick edit backwards when he started questioning some things...

It's possible we'll get a flashback where Wanda takes possession of Vision's body and then reanimates him somehow. But I don't think that's what's happening. He has the mindstone on his head and we know that's not possible. I thought he was a person she remolded but if she can create the babies maybe he's just a construct of her powers. 

I may be reading too much into it, but Monica landed in the real world in her 70's clothes. 

On 1/16/2021 at 4:15 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I felt like that after the trailer, and was in the minority of one on the board iirc. I'll wait and see what reviews the full season has before committing. 

I think the appeal of that layer on the show really depends on your level of appreciation for the American sitcoms of those areas, and I suspect also the idealised American Life they were set in. It also doesn't hugely appeal to me either, but I'm watching for now for the story behind the facade.

On 1/17/2021 at 6:02 PM, Fury Resurrected said:

This Nick at Nite schtick is really not my thing at all

It not being your thing either reinforces my feeling that your view on that ideal being important for how you feel about this.

So my take after the third episode is that everyone from the neighbourhood is dead and she's yanked a bunch of people back into this weird quasi life which includes Vision. 

Still being alive is what set Monica apart and why she didn't belong. The space is clearly real and everything inside has genuine physicality.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:05 PM, Denvek said:

I really wanted to make a Wonder Woman 1984 joke here, but @RumHam beat me to it :) 

I liked this episode more than the previous two, but I'm still not really engaged. i'm going to give it one more episode and then make a decision on whether or not to continue. Fortunately, this show is so short that it doesn't really provoke my sunk cost fallacy.

I've cracked and decided to sign up again for Disney+ and watch this. Maybe I should have waited until Falcon and the Winter Soldier so I could watch two shows in one then quit again. The Mouse is stringing us along. ;) When the Marvel Studios title started playing, I realized how much I had missed the MCU after 2020.

I'm glad the first two episodes were released together, because there really wasn't much there. The third certainly did a much better job deepening the mystery. Still, outside of the two main factors seemingly having a lot of fun with these roles, there isn't much there.

Did anyone think that the voice on the radio in episode 2 sounded like Chris Evans? I'm curious when in the timeline this is taking place. My theory so far has been that Wanda willingly went into this SWORD run simulation to help re-construct Vision, but something has gone wrong, potentially it was sabotaged. :dunno:

4 hours ago, Mr Gordo said:

That's Randall Park's Jimmy Woo character from Ant Man 2 on the Radio and its set some time after Endgame. I think they said a year at one point but don't hold me to that one.

I had to check which character that was only to realise it was one I'd really liked, that works. A year seems too long for Wanda to be in this kind of denial of his death, unless as speculated it started at something else and has spun out of control.

Of course time inside the reality dysfunction could be working differently and it will be a year (or more) at the point she comes out. 

Archived