WandaVision (spoilers)

RumHam

4 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

You know, they do have a problem that people who enter Westview end up playing along in Wanda’s sitcom. What they quite specifically require here is...

...a professional fourth wall breaker.

Exactly. 

3 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

You know, they do have a problem that people who enter Westview end up playing along in Wanda’s sitcom. What they quite specifically require here is...

...a professional fourth wall breaker.

If Deadpool enters the town and the medium transforms him into Jackman Wolverine it will be the greatest superhero crossover ever.

The character might be someone from the X-men- either Xavier or Magneto, or both- played by a big actor.

That said, both McKellen and Stewart are past 80, not to mention using them risks associating this show and the MCU with Brian Singer, and no one there wants that.

Of course, it could just be Cumberbatch and they are overhyping it.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Yeah, I read that suggestion earlier in the thread, but I think you missed my point: Evan Peters does not have the star power of Mark Hammill, so we must be speaking of the impact of the character, not the actor.

That said, I'm sceptical that even bringing in a Fox X-Men character could have that impact. Except one, perhaps. Hugh Jackman has the star power, and Wolverine is iconic enough. But I don't think that's going to happen.

Oh, gotcha.  We don't really know know that the important cameo and the actor Bettany always wanted to work with are the same person either. 

51 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Seriously now though... a legit case could be made for Reed Richards.

I saw some fan art the other day of John Krasinski as Reed Richards and I kinda thought it worked well...

:leaving: 

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

The character might be someone from the X-men- either Xavier or Magneto, or both- played by a big actor.

That said, both McKellen and Stewart are past 80, not to mention using them risks associating this show and the MCU with Brian Singer, and no one there wants that.

Of course, it could just be Cumberbatch and they are overhyping it.

Honestly at this point, with all the shenanigans of the multiverse, I'm fine if they keep Xavier and Magneto as just McAvoy and Fassbender... but I suspect the reveal is neither of those characters.  To add them now, would take away from having Wanda in a co-starring role in the next Doctor Strange movie...

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

Seriously now though... a legit case could be made for Reed Richards.

It was implied in episode for that the SWORD teams still in space during the blip could in fact be a backdoor way of getting the FF into the MCU, particularly with the dropping of the cosmic radiation naming...

57 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

If they bought in Debra Jo Rupp, we should demand some Kurtwood Smith.

He's great on 'Patriot' BTW.

[pours a libation] 

Still one of my favorite shows

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It was implied in episode for that the SWORD teams still in space during the blip could in fact be a backdoor way of getting the FF into the MCU, particularly with the dropping of the cosmic radiation naming...

I like this. 

On a business/marketing level, what's the 'purpose' of having interviews promoting a huge, huge twist for a streaming, one-off show? It's not like the principals are trying to do well in sweeps week to get it picked up for another season like this was 'Veronica Mars' or something. Most of their target audience already has Disney + thanks to the Mandalorian, etc... Seems like there's more downside to hyping a possibly underwhelming surprise (i.e. 'oh, it's Hawkeye') than getting people excited to watch the show, but only at the end of the limited run. I assume this is mostly a contractual marketing requirement at some level, although the principals do seem to be (justifiably) happy with how their project came out so I can see why they'd want to talk about it, I just don't get the 'big tease' element.

7 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

On a business/marketing level, what's the 'purpose' of having interviews promoting a huge, huge twist for a streaming, one-off show? It's not like the principals are trying to do well in sweeps week to get it picked up for another season like this was 'Veronica Mars' or something. Most of their target audience already has Disney + thanks to the Mandalorian, etc... Seems like there's more downside to hyping a possibly underwhelming surprise (i.e. 'oh, it's Hawkeye') than getting people excited to watch the show, but only at the end of the limited run. I assume this is mostly a contractual marketing requirement at some level, although the principals do seem to be (justifiably) happy with how their project came out so I can see why they'd want to talk about it, I just don't get the 'big tease' element.

More people talking about it and engaged leads more people to FOMO and subscribing to it. Just a thought.

I honestly don't know, but I DO know that the Disney marketing teams are probably the best brand managers in the world, and if they're doing it they're doing it for very good, fiscally responsible reasons. 

14 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

On a business/marketing level, what's the 'purpose' of having interviews promoting a huge, huge twist for a streaming, one-off show?

Well, per the original link, Olsen was simply asked the question.  Hard to blame her for responding "yes."  Like I said, what was she supposed to say?  "No, it's not that exciting"?

11 minutes ago, KalbearAnon said:

More people talking about it and engaged leads more people to FOMO and subscribing to it. Just a thought.

I honestly don't know, but I DO know that the Disney marketing teams are probably the best brand managers in the world, and if they're doing it they're doing it for very good, fiscally responsible reasons. 

That's fair, as is the point that Olsen is answering questions. It's an interesting dynamic to me as 'WandaVision' is much more of a 'don't cancel Disney Plus' piece of content vs. you have to subscribe to watch this content, especially compared to the only recently aired Mando finale.

It's going to be Patton Oswalt's Parks & Rec character.  He's going to go on his 90 minute long filibuster again describing the multiverse and Wanda will just imagine it into existence.

"And then! Chewbacca, yes Chewbacca! WHO IS NOT DEAD, WAS NOT HIT BY A MOON..."

In my biased eyes, the best way for Wanda to deal with her grief is to resurrect big purple himself. Invite him over for a nice cup of tea - actually, conjure up that same pot he was brewing before he was rudely interrupted by that Avengers hit squad. Sit down on that comfy lounge and have a nice one-to-one chat. Heck, even get Vision to sit in on this, get his thoughts. Get it all out of the system, and then move on with life.

My backup wish would be to see another mutant introduced, her old man makes the most sense.

23 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

It's going to be Patton Oswalt's Parks & Rec character.  He's going to go on his 90 minute long filibuster again describing the multiverse and Wanda will just imagine it into existence.

"And then! Chewbacca, yes Chewbacca! WHO IS NOT DEAD, WAS NOT HIT BY A MOON..."

I need to watch that again. It's actually difficult to watch without checking your phone, trying to turn away, etc, like a staring contest going south. But it just keeps getting more and more amazing. The crowd behind him is incredible to watch also. Oswalt might be one of my favorite  entertainers, or at least one I'd surely most enjoy a night out on the town with. 

Archived