WandaVision (spoilers)

RumHam

24 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I watched all five episodes of this in one go today. The show so far (especially these last few episodes) has really hit the spot for me- it's the perfect mix of fun and creepy and weird. I tend to watch Marvel movies once, if that, and never again (well... except for Guardians and Thor Ragnorak, which are great) so I really have no clue how all the easter eggs connect or what's really going on here. But the opening credits are worth the price of admission alone, and damn, what a cool twist to end that last episode.

From another angle, as a sitcom fan I appreciate what they're doing, even though the shows they're imitating so far are all before my era. The first two episodes maybe relied a little too much on just reproducing 60s sitcom jokes without much being funny, but I'm very curious to see what they do from now on. Please please please give me a Seinfeld/Curb Wandavision episode. Pleeeeease.

Seinfeld wasn’t a “family show” though.  To me, the quintessential 90s sitcom families are Married... With Children on one end of the spectrum and Mad About You on the other.  But I don’t think any of the previews have looked like those to me.

42 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Seinfeld wasn’t a “family show” though.  To me, the quintessential 90s sitcom families are Married... With Children on one end of the spectrum and Mad About You on the other.

Agreed on MWC but I really wouldn't describe Mad About You as a "family show."  I didn't watch the entire show but they didn't even have kids for the first few seasons IIRC, let alone as actual characters.  Growing up in the 90s, Full House or MWC would be the quintessential 90s family sitcoms for me, and there's pluses to Bettany being either Danny Tanner or Al Bundy, can't lose there.  I think of Mad About You more of like a Woody Allen-esque TV romance, and this show being Woody Allen-esque in its family dynamics would...somehow be the one thing that could manage to make the show too weird and creepy.  

:leaving:

I like the idea of Home Improvement so we get to see Vision getting the low down from Agnes over the back fence. If we're opening up the multiverse then I'd be seriously impressed if they could pull off 5mins of classic 90s Simpsons.

The only reason Home Improvement would make sense is to demonstrate that Vision was reanimated by cocaine just like Tim the Toolman Taylor.  Growing Pains was more 80s than 90s.  Seinfeld and Friends would require, ya know, friends, and all they got right now is the deliciously ominous Kathryn Agnes Hahn.

Elizabeth Olsen said "You'll see a bit of 'Family Ties' and you'll see a bit of 'Malcolm in the Middle' and 'Modern Family'".

And Paul Bettany said "There's a kind of Bryan Cranston side to Vision. You're gonna see more Malcolm in the Middle".

3 hours ago, KalbearAnon said:

Friends or Seinfeld would be the obvious ones, but something like home improvement would be right there too, or growing pains.

Neither of them are family sitcoms, though. Frasier arguably is, but not in the traditional sense.

Malcolm in the Middle is a good one from the era, though, being both a mainstream family sitcom and also not often shit.

11 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Here you go: 

Golden comment:

“Black Panther?” “HE’S RUNNING A COUNTRY” “Hawkeye?” “He’s got a family” “What about Hulk?” “He hurt his arm” “He hurt his arm?” “Plus he doesn’t like to smash anymore” “What kind of Hulk doesn’t like to smash?” “IT HAS TO BE YOU. You’re the only one that could do this” “What about Bucky? He’s got that cool medal arm” “Peter!!” “Or Captain America” “He retired” “What?” “Yeah he went back in time so he’s super old” “Plus he gave his Shield to Flacon” “So call him then” “YOU ARE COMING WITH US. YOU’RE GONNA BE THE NEXT IRON MAN. AND THAT’S THAT. GOT IT?” “Yes Mr Fury” “All right. Lets-“ “What about Ant Man and The Wasp?” “They’re too far away” “What about Doctor Strange then? He can teleport. Or War Machine or Scarlett Witch? She almost took on Thanos all by herself. They’d be way better at this job then me” “And what about Valkyrie? She literally has a flying horse. I even rode it.”

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Neither of them are family sitcoms, though. Frasier arguably is, but not in the traditional sense.

Malcolm in the Middle is a good one from the era, though, being both a mainstream family sitcom and also not often shit.

3rd Rock from the Sun would fit in with the weird, and since they got 2 boys.

Married With Children was always more 80s to me for some reason...For some reason I also thought it was going to be the 80s riff, not Family Ties...but anyway...

Honestly for the 90s, it really should be Full House...though I guess that did start in the 80s and we got the opening picnic shot included in episode five's start...

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Malcolm in the Middle was 00s, not 90s, though, so that would be in two episodes time and not next episode.

They're kind of playing fast and loose with this stuff though- the Dick Van Dyck show was 1960s (running at the same time as the first few seasons of Bewitched) but was used as a "1950s" style sitcom. Even though the Sword characters talk about it in terms of decades, I'd say we're more moving through "eras of TV sitcoms." For that reason, I think Full House would be too similar to Family Ties in many ways to be covered.

Edit: thinking about all this sitcom stuff makes me think more than ever that the origins of all this have to be way beyond Wanda, even if she's taken control of it. How likely is it that an eastern European child growing up with lots of trauma is super familiar with the history of American sitcoms? Unless Sokovia's media consumption was all American, all the time. I guess it was never part of the Soviet Union?

Archived