WandaVision (spoilers)

RumHam

Saw the first two episodes off this. Not entirely sold yet, because especially the first one didn't induce me to pay much attention to the screen over my phone, but the hints of a central mystery that started to appear were decent enough to hook me for now. 

15 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

1. It's apparently Randall Park's Jimmy Woo coming through the radio...

2. Interesting...but it's still most likely she is Agatha Harkness...and I think she's somehow controlling the situation, SWORD not with standing...

ah, ok guess i sort of recognised from the MCU previously

14 hours ago, john said:

That’s true. The chanting of “for the children” seemed particularly significant, although I can’t imagine what it could signify.

Well, she was pregnant by the end of the episode. Maybe it's not (just) about Vision's resurrection but more about creating a family/legacy for him? It would help if there had been more signs of Wanda's instability in the films but I guess the show could highlight some of that for us as it progresses.

If this world is all Wanda's making and partly wish-fulfillment, you'd kind of expect Quicksilver to appear in some form too.

As an aside I don't think I've noticed anywhere in the credits that the show is inspired by Tom King and Gabriel Walter's "vision" series. It's sufficiently different for them not to but I think most would agree the DNA of the show is very similar (60s suburban era life). Although I guess they could also say it takes from several Wanda stories over the decades as well.

17 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: “Am I a joke to you?”

(Just kidding, I am entirely in favour of jettisoning the Perlmutter era TV)

Yeah, you know what I mean this is the launch show for the Disney+ platform and features main characters from the films as main characters in the shows. 

I gave up on all the previous TV shows (or they were cancelled) but it was pretty clear that all of them were shunned by the films. Wandavision is apparently setting up the Dr Strange sequel and Loki, Falcon and winter soldier are direct continuations from Endgame.

41 minutes ago, red snow said:

I gave up on all the previous TV shows (or they were cancelled) but it was pretty clear that all of them were shunned by the films.

I’m currently watching the final season of AoS (which is trickling weekly to Disney+ despite having aired already) and weirdly, they’re doing exactly what WandaVision seems to be doing with an homage to decades of television for each episode, and different title sequences to match.

It’s actually a really solid season, but them ignoring the snap really solidified it as an alternate universe in my head, I don’t know of any way of reconciling them now (no spoilers please if they somehow managed that in the last few episodes).

40 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I’m currently watching the final season of AoS (which is trickling weekly to Disney+ despite having aired already) and weirdly, they’re doing exactly what WandaVision seems to be doing with an homage to decades of television for each episode, and different title sequences to match.

It’s actually a really solid season, but them ignoring the snap really solidified it as an alternate universe in my head, I don’t know of any way of reconciling them now (no spoilers please if they somehow managed that in the last few episodes).

The final season of Agents of Shield just confused me a lot, and had just a few too many plot holes and paradoxes for my taste. It did do one thing I really liked though, so I'm glad for that. I wont talk much about it though, since you're still watching it.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I guess if the multiverse is potentially a part of the next phase of films and shows we might get a kind of "crisis" scenario where all these different franchises/spins on characters are given validity and possibly some cherry picking and merging of best bits.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I guess if the multiverse is potentially a part of the next phase of films and shows we might get a kind of "crisis" scenario where all these different franchises/spins on characters are given validity and possibly some cherry picking and merging of best bits.

Well, they're intriguing Kang now. So maybe someday they'll do an Avengers Forever riff and bring together all the pieces?

My original theory on this was that it was in Wanda's head in those moments she was destroying the Mind Stone right out of Vision's head. That she was creating this attempt at happiness and it gets ripped away when Thanos used the Time Stone lent strength to her line at him in Endgame about everything being taken...but this idea doesn't work with the inclusion of SWORD and possibly Agatha Harkness...

2 hours ago, red snow said:

All eyes on what Spider-Man 3 does with Daredevil. In a weird way, acknowledging that they exist but in a different universe might seem worse to some fans, it still delegitimises the concept we were initially told, that this is the one and only MCU. It’s a real shame that AoS isn’t one season ahead, as Season 7 has provided the perfect opportunity to side step Infinity War. But Season 6 is clearly set in this timeline, with a conspicuous abundance of 50% of people. I think it’s cleaner just to ignore it at this point, hence why I’m intrigued with Daredevil and how they go about that. Potentially they just introduce him as established, and if you want to assume the Netflix backstory, you can, but they won’t rely on it.

Don't have a lot to add.  I liked it... but I grew up watching reruns of things like Bewitched, so I got what it was doing with those.  (I'm eagerly waiting for it to hit the 90's in about three weeks and we can get Vision as Al Bundy and Wanda as Peggy! :lol:

My wife and son didn't show interest in it beforehand, and I'm glad I didn't get them to watch with me.  Would definitely not have been their cup of tea.

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Don't have a lot to add.  I liked it... but I grew up watching reruns of things like Bewitched, so I got what it was doing with those.  (I'm eagerly waiting for it to hit the 90's in about three weeks and we can get Vision as Al Bundy and Wanda as Peggy! :lol:

My wife and son didn't show interest in it beforehand, and I'm glad I didn't get them to watch with me.  Would definitely not have been their cup of tea.

Damn Al Bundy Vision would be awesome...

The 90's show is the only one that's still a mystery. Maybe full house? In an interview Bettany strongly implied they were doing:

The Brady Bunch, Family Ties, Malcom in the Middle and Modern Family

35 minutes ago, Poobah said:

The most quintessentially 90s sitcom that comes to my mind would be Friends.

That's not really a family set up though.  There were shows like Mad About You that would fit the format better from the 90's.

One thing I noticed last night while surfing around the Marvel page on Disney+; the new Spiderman movies are nowhere to be found.  Kind of a shame that they don't have Far From Home as it very clearly serves as a epilogue to Endgame.

31 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That's not really a family set up though.  There were shows like Mad About You that would fit the format better from the 90's.

One thing I noticed last night while surfing around the Marvel page on Disney+; the new Spiderman movies are nowhere to be found.  Kind of a shame that they don't have Far From Home as it very clearly serves as a epilogue to Endgame.

That’s because of the Sony deal. Incredible Hulk also isn’t on Disney+ because it was a Universal coproduction 

48 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

That’s because of the Sony deal. Incredible Hulk also isn’t on Disney+ because it was a Universal coproduction 

Yeah, I knew the Sony deal.  Shame they can't work something out to have it there for completeness.

Honestly... I'm kinda embarrassed to say that I didn't even notice that Hulk wasn't there at all.  :blush: 

On 1/17/2021 at 5:41 PM, Frey family reunion said:

It’s also why they keep showing Wanda and Vision inside a hexagon, a symbol closely associated with A.I.M.

Seems like it, but also I think it is somewhat "confirmed" that the story is taking things from House of M and The Vision comics as well.

Paul Bettany basically confirms this.  How it seems to be referenced in the show so far.

1 hour ago, .H. said:

Seems like it, but also I think it is somewhat "confirmed" that the story is taking things from House of M and The Vision comics as well.

Paul Bettany basically confirms this.  How it seems to be referenced in the show so far.

I think it's a mash up of a bunch of different prior Marvel story lines.    I assume that Wanda is being manipulated into creating a false reality, the question is by whom, or whether there is a conspiracy of more than one parties involved. 

I assume some type of "Mephisto" like character will also come forward.    What  he's going to take, I'm not sure.  I doubt he will be straight up a devil, it will probably be a bit more complicated than that. 

But just like both Loki and Hydra kind of swirled around the same events earlier in the movies, I think we're going to see the same with AIM and Mephisto.  Maybe they've figured out a clever way to connect the two.  

But regardless, between the beekeeper suits and the hexogon that they keep putting Vision and Wanda in (and I know that it could also be a clever play on Wanda's "hex" powers) I'm certain that AIM's involved.  In AIM's very first appearance, in the comics they tried to make Captain America think he was going insane by coupling terrorist attacks with a mass hypnosis which made everyone except Captain America not notice the terrorist attack were going on.  AIM was also the group that brought about the Cosmic Cube which could warp reality on a grand scale.  Perhaps they are attempting to use Scarlet Witch for the same purposes.

They did AIM in Iron Man 3 though. I guess it could have survived Killian's demise, maybe as more of a secret evil organization than a company. 

13 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

I assume some type of "Mephisto" like character will also come forward.   

I'm not real familiar with these characters from the comics but Nightmare was reported to be the villain of Doctor Strange 2. A lot of people are assuming he or one of his minions is the big bad of Wandavision. 

17 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Perhaps they are attempting to use Scarlet Witch for the same purposes.

Yeah, although there is also a chance that she is complicit in it too to some degree.  She seems to be at at least partly "in control" of it, possibly because she wants to have Vision "back" and/or because she wants to have a child/a child with him.  I think it might be a little of both.  Some other "power" might have put her there, or something like that, but she thinks she can "control it" enough to get what she wants from it but deny the nefarious forces what they want out of it, perhaps.

Archived