U.S. Politics: Leaving On A Jet Plane

Martell Spy

Katie Porter just lost her seat on the House financial services committee due to Democratic congressional rules.

It's not letting me post her clarification for some reason, but this was her response to the story.

Procedural clarification: under House Dem rules, a member is allowed to serve on two non-exclusive committees. Mine are Oversight and Natural Resources. One can ask for a waiver for a third committee. I asked. Others in same situ got waivers. I did not. I play by the rules

Pelosi and House Dem leadership could have given her that waiver but chose not to. Why would you take off one of your best people unless there is a reason you don't want them on there.

2 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

The pillow putsch will be televised

It bizarre too -- but o so fitting, considering a stupid tv host of a stupid tv show is the fella supposedly showrunning now -- but how a lot of these jerkwaddies are viewng this crisis as opportunity for free commercial time for their bizes -- the fool from Georgia and his autor biz, the wyitch from Texas and her real estate agency  -- who flew in on private plane -- guess then, the plane can be a business expense write-off?  Isn't that how grifting works?

5 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Katie Porter just lost her seat on the House financial services committee due to Democratic congressional rules.

It's not letting me post her clarification for some reason, but this was her response to the story.

Pelosi and House Dem leadership could have given her that waiver but chose not to. Why would you take off one of your best people unless there is a reason you don't want them on there.

That is absolutely fucked.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

DMC, right now I got five words for you: Biden will be inaugurated president.

I'm still worried what this guy will do:

9 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Why would you take off one of your best people unless there is a reason you don't want them on there.

Um, the article you linked literally explains it.  She prioritized assignments on two other committees - Oversight & Reform and Natural Resources.  I don't know why she would prioritize those two over Financial Services - a much more important/influential committee - but per that link she did.  Considering the shrinking majority, there was always a risk she wasn't gonna get a third assignment.  And that's what happened - she essentially traded Financial Services for Natural Resources.  That's almost a Bill O'Brien-esque trade in my book, but if that's what she wanted it probably made Pelosi's life easier - I'd assume a lot of other members would prioritize Financial Services in their requests instead of ranking it third.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Um, the article you linked literally explains it.  She prioritized assignments on two other committees - Oversight & Reform and Natural Resources.  I don't know why she would prioritize those two over Financial Services - a much more important/influential committee - but per that link she did.  Considering the shrinking majority, there was always a risk she wasn't gonna get a third assignment.  And that's what happened - she essentially traded Financial Services for Natural Resources.  That's almost a Bill O'Brien-esque trade in my book, but if that's what she wanted it probably made Pelosi's life easier - I'd assume a lot of other members would prioritize Financial Services in their requests instead of ranking it third.

I get that, but the fact still remains she requested a waiver that was granted to others but not to her. The point is that the Democrats could have kept her there, but they made the choice not to do so.

12 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

the fact still remains she requested a waiver that was granted to others but not to her.

That doesn't mean they were granted waivers AND given a third committee assignment.  Especially considering how low she ranks in seniority, that sounds like quite a risk to take.  She was asking for an additional committee assignment when there's less assignments to divvy up.  Given her own prioritization, she should not be surprised that didn't pan out.

56 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

The pillow putsch will be televised

Trump would be the one to take political advice from a Pillow manufacturer.  Anyone think McConnell and Schumer wouldn’t immediately reconvene the Senate and as soon as a quorum is reached make Mike Pence the 46th President of the United States if Trump tries to use the Insurrection Act?

44 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I asked this previously in the last thread; but can Puerto Rico be made a state before midterms?

Or D.C?

In theory, sure. PR is a bit easier for some reasons and a bit harder for others (at least potentially). But the barrier remains the filibuster and Manchin's desire to do it or not. One could make the rules such that it doesn't require a filibuster for statehood. And once that happens, it's actually pretty easy IIRC. But Manchin has said no to both.

That said, I think DC might become a state simply because of the clusterfuck of the capitol attack. 

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Trump would be the one to take political advice from a Pillow manufacturer.  Anyone think McConnell and Schumer wouldn’t immediately reconvene the Senate and as soon as a quorum is reached make Mike Pence the 46th President of the United States if Trump tries to use the Insurrection Act?

In theory DC could be locked down before the Senate could reconvene. Not sure if they could have an emergency change of the rules and allow a vote over zoom.

Speaking of the designation 46, part of me wondered if Trump would resign anyways before the capitol incident happened just to be a dick to Biden. I've sure they've got a lot of stuff made up using 46 and they'd have to redo it all as he'd then be 47.

16 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

In theory, sure. PR is a bit easier for some reasons and a bit harder for others (at least potentially). But the barrier remains the filibuster and Manchin's desire to do it or not. One could make the rules such that it doesn't require a filibuster for statehood. And once that happens, it's actually pretty easy IIRC. But Manchin has said no to both.

That said, I think DC might become a state simply because of the clusterfuck of the capitol attack. 

On the issue of statehood he’s at the very least shown he’s open to it.

In the interview, Manchin reaffirmed his opposition to eliminating the legislative filibuster, but in response to a separate question about D.C. and Puerto Rico statehood, said that, "I don't know enough about that yet. I want to see the pros and cons. So, I'm waiting to see all the facts. I'm open up to see everything."

https://theweek.com/articles/960235/statehood-dc-puerto-rico-only-needs-50-votes

There’s a easy to be made that admitting states is outside typical legislation—which the filibuster would be used for.

Archived