U.S. Politics: Leaving On A Jet Plane

Martell Spy

38 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Speaking of the designation 46, part of me wondered if Trump would resign anyways before the capitol incident happened just to be a dick to Biden. I've sure they've got a lot of stuff made up using 46 and they'd have to redo it all as he'd then be 47.

This has been at the back of my mind as well.

1 hour ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

In theory, sure. PR is a bit easier for some reasons and a bit harder for others (at least potentially). But the barrier remains the filibuster and Manchin's desire to do it or not. One could make the rules such that it doesn't require a filibuster for statehood. And once that happens, it's actually pretty easy IIRC. But Manchin has said no to both.

That said, I think DC might become a state simply because of the clusterfuck of the capitol attack. 

Don't the residents of both PR and D.C. have to vote on it first?

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

This has been at the back of my mind as well.

What I'm about to suggest is totally ridiculous, but I wonder if it would be legally possible. Technically speaking, as far as I can tell, if you're the president and resign, regardless of the length of your term, you get an annual pension worth over $200k plus many benefits. What if a President and a VP made a deal that the first would resign, and the latter would appoint a member of their family as VP, and then they keep doing this to exhaust all family members? That's a lot of grifting to be had, though Congress could change the benefits.

18 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

They have.

Puerto Rico had a referendum last month which had a majority of the population voting.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/09/501412360/d-c-votes-overwhelmingly-to-become-51st-state

Thanks!  How did I miss that?  Surely Partner did not, but didn't mention it.  So much going on all the time.

I’ve been thinking for some time that Trump had his hand in organizing Jan. 6, and calls for demonstrations on the 20th, specifically to destroy any joy associated with Biden’s inauguration. 

Trump is like the boyfriend or husband who decides after his girlfriend or wife leaves him, no one else is going to have her. Same mentality that leads to shootings.

8 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Is there any practical effect of one being junior and the other senior?

Seniority grants benefits in terms of preference to committee assignments and office space, but even then there's not going to be any real practical effect in this context, no.  I guess as "senior" Senator Ossoff can lay claim to being the Batman to Warnock's Robin, but we all know in our heart of hearts Ossoff is obviously the Robin in that duo.

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Whoops. Thought that was the one spot that didn't require confirmation.

New VPs require confirmation...at least that was the plot point of those Tom Clancy novels once upon a time...

Listening closely to AOC recounting Jan. 6 in her Instagram video, stating she had a, "traumatizing experience" that made her fearful for her life, but she can't talk about it...and these Republicans who say they have their own guns and they have been ignoring the metal detectors...my crackpot theory is that AOC was likely being threatened by a fellow Congressman...

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’ve been thinking for some time that Trump had his hand in organizing Jan. 6, and calls for demonstrations on the 20th, specifically to destroy any joy associated with Biden’s inauguration. 

Trump is like the boyfriend or husband who decides after his girlfriend or wife leaves him, no one else is going to have her. Same mentality that leads to shootings.

This is what a lot of people who have gone through this -- that's he's the classic abuser, and by now the nation below you, are all suffering from the syndrome of being abused, after these last four years.  As many said, who work with abuse victims, wrote it BEFORE the 6th, that the most dangerous time is when the abuser is left.  He will kill you and even himself. Though this particular abuser ... well, he's determined to live to abuse another day, because by golly his victims are still living.

35 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

New VPs require confirmation...at least that was the plot point of those Tom Clancy novels once upon a time...

Listening closely to AOC recounting Jan. 6 in her Instagram video, stating she had a, "traumatizing experience" that made her fearful for her life, but she can't talk about it...and these Republicans who say they have their own guns and they have been ignoring the metal detectors...my crackpot theory is that AOC was likely being threatened by a fellow Congressman...

Have we ever seen AOC without lipstick on zoom / video, etc? Even at the Green Market? 

But -- weren't we warned not to write about this? 

Biden accepting an invitation by Trump to stay at Blair House the night before the inauguration seems like a bad idea.  Insert Admiral Ackbar gif here.

I mean even if it's totally safe around the U.S. and the world hundred of millions of people counting down the seconds will have their anxiety levels at heart-attack levels for hours, fearful of an assassination attempt.

11 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Biden accepting an invitation by Trump to stay at Blair House the night before the inauguration seems like a bad idea.  Insert Admiral Ackbar gif here.

I mean even if it's totally safe around the U.S. and the world hundred of millions of people counting down the seconds will have their anxiety levels at heart-attack levels for hours, fearful of an assassination attempt.

I feel like this is the set up for one of The Onion's bits about Eric and Don Jr in this same vein

Just an update to the Georgia runoff elections. Now all counties have certified their results. It remains for the Secretary of State to review them and certify the State results. At which time the two new Senators may be sworn in. With Monday being a Federal Holiday that won't happen until Tuesday at the earliest. The SoS has seventeen days after the election to certify the state results, but that doesn't mean it can't happen earlier. Friday is that last day of that time period. Question is does the SoS delay to Friday to give McConnell a few more days as Majority Leader? Pardon the language, but fuck em if he does.

Archived