U.S. Politics: Leaving On A Jet Plane

Martell Spy

2 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

A platform is not a platform.  Each platform has it's strength and weaknesses, I mean.  If I had Ann Coulter come on my nationally syndicated show and spent the entire time having us edit over everything she said with fart noises, that would be radically different than having her on a talk show.

Is this even germane?

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Your obsession with not admitting you're wrong when you objectively are is much more akin House Republicans.

How am I wrong here? It really sounds like you believe just because conservatives are laughable wrong, which they are, means they should be silenced. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Your obsession with format is like a House Republican saying the process hasn't been fair. A platform is a platform.  

No, it's really not.

TDS regularly took conservatives to task for their viewpoints, Maher did not.

Maher would regularly have figures on his show and, if those figures were in favor of a particular viewpoint that Maher had, he would focus on that viewpoint, how even though they disagreed on other issues, they agreed on this single issue, granting their viewpoint a sense of legitimacy.

Just look at all the times Maher had on people who were anti-woke, anti-pc, anti-free speech or whatever bullshit. He would focus almost exclusively on those issues, because Maher agreed with them or thought they were paramount to whatever other noxious beliefs his guests may have had. He did this  with Coulter, with Yiannopoulis, with Barry Weiss, Sam Harris. He regularly platforms people with bad viewpoints because they're anti-woke.

Will he take them to task for some of their bad viewpoints? Yes, he will. Good on him for that. But regularly he turns back to his anti-woke nonsense bullshit. He's the very definition of the "enlightened centrist," ie "look I think we need healthcare reform but have you seen what the Twitter mobs have done to Roseanne?!"

There's a difference between having a guest on to challenge their viewpoints and having a guest on to spout their viewpoints. I think Maher tries to do the former, but he regularly lets his own biases get in the way of doing that effectively. Jon Stewart was much, much better at doing it than Maher.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How am I wrong here? It really sounds like you believe just because conservatives are laughable wrong, which they are, means they should be silenced. 

Actually, you repeatedly asking me to reiterate arguments you then ignore is making me believe right now you should be silenced because you're laughably wrong.  So, I'm out.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Actually, you repeatedly asking me to reiterate arguments you then ignore is making me believe right now you should be silenced because you're laughably wrong.  So, I'm out.

#CancelTy :P

Lindsey Graham, Ignoring Trump’s Role In Riot, Bashes Pelosi For Weak Capitol Security
“Where was Nancy Pelosi?” the Republican senator asked during an appearance on Fox News.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lindsey-graham-nancy-pelosi-capitol-riot_n_60045784c5b6efae62f96bc8

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Sunday expressed outrage over the deadly Capitol riot, pointing a finger at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for not doing more to secure the building instead of at President Donald Trump, whose rhetoric inspired the violence.

During an appearance on Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures,” Graham called on his fellow Republicans to unite against Trump’s impeachment despite the insurrectionist attack on the Capitol, which left at least five people dead.

“I understand what happened on January the 6th was one of the low points in my time in office,” Graham told host Maria Bartiromo, one of Trump’s most vocal defenders on cable news.

“It was horrendous to see people take over the Capitol, the House and the Senate, beat officers, defile the seat of government,” he continued. “How in the hell did that happen? Where was Nancy Pelosi? It’s her job to provide Capitol security. We’ll get to the bottom of that.” 

8 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

It is no surprise that Maher is peddling rank bullshit about a bunch of violent white criminals and why we should feel sorry for them. He's been doing that since day one. I hope he gets crushed by a meteorite.

These white fascists didn’t have time to get woke because they were apparently all broke it’s just a coincidence at the thought of whites becoming no longer the majority, becoming the minority that they choke.

1 hour ago, Week said:

You can engage their ideas without directly talking with them. Handing a bullhorn to the Alexs Jones, Glenns Beck, Kellyannes Conway, Anns Coulter, etc. allows them to continue to sell themselves and their noxious ideas that they aren't even accountable for.

Look at Qanon -- the widespread normalization and wink/nod to it has lead decent, previously not completely batshit to lose their minds. i.e. Jenna Ryan, the realtor insurrectionist with a private jet, was radicalized, felt justified, and COMFORTABLE doing what she did (I'm sure was not the most well adjusted individual four years ago).

It should be asked in what debate people could have beaten Hitler on to shatter nazism in Germany.

Because people did debate him.

They handed the microphone over to him a lot to make a fool go himself.

And his ideas were destroyed with facts and logic.

And then he became dictator and killed millions.

1 hour ago, Durckad said:

No, it's really not.

TDS regularly took conservatives to task for their viewpoints, Maher did not.

I mean, that's not true. I don't watch a lot of Maher, but almost every time Ive caught his show while he had a looney on he did a pretty good job of debating them, or making them look foolish. 

I dunno why so many people dislike him, maybe I'm missing something. But honestly, I don't really care. I find him to be somewhat intelligent.

I'll def agree that John Stewart comes across as not only more likeable, but more earnest, and less abrasive. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

And when did his star fall?

After the combination of twitter bans, commentary of pedophilia, and association with Richard Spencer (who was, himself, deplatformed).

The real nail in the coffin was probably losing that sweet, sweet Mercer money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos

Are you equating the Drunken Peasants podcast to Bill Maher? I'm confused.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Bet Brady looks so good today in the Bucs uniform. :P

I haven't watched one single snap of football (other than highlights, I suppose) in more than a year. I was never really a fan of Brady -- respect his talent and drive but dude has always been a herb. The Trump-adjacency in 2016 and his snake oil salesman of a trainer are pretty loathsome.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Using a platform to expose bad faith arguments and people is a bad idea? Okay. 

Yes, as it turns out it is. Its far more effective to simply give them nowhere to speak loudly. Exposing them, as it turns out, doesn't matter because people don't actually care that much about things like facts. 

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

I mean, that's not true. I don't watch a lot of Maher, but almost every time Ive caught his show while he had a looney on he did a pretty good job of debating them, or making them look foolish. 

I dunno why so many people dislike him, maybe I'm missing something. But honestly, I don't really care. I find him to be somewhat intelligent.

Drew Magary, reformed shitposter, can put it better than I ever could.

https://www.gq.com/story/bill-maher-hmmm-why

Will Maher suffer at all for issuing such a pointlessly elitist, outright wrong take? Of course not. Bill Maher still continues to thrive over at HBO despite routinely making an ass of himself: dropping n-bombs on the air and making sub–Green Book cracks about fried chicken to black congressman Will Hurd. Those are far worse offenses than Maher pretending that rural America has bad food (it often has terrific cuisine), and yet here he remains in charge of his little talk-show fiefdom, a fiefdom bestowed upon him after he got fired from ABC for praising the bravery of the 9/11 hijackers. In greater context, Maher’s 9/11 comments were part of a reasonable diatribe against American warmongering, but all of that got lost in the controversy by appalled executives, and soon by Maher himself.

Because what was toxic to ABC was catnip to HBO, which snatched up Maher and quickly installed him as their resident ’80s-style bad-boy comic who doesn't care whom he ticks off. During Maher's tenure, HBO has given him carte blanche to say what's on his mind, much of it often dull and unfunny. And they’ve kept him on his lofty perch for nearly two decades, allowing him to hold court with panelists as toxic as Ann Coulter and Dinesh D'Souza, or anyone else he can spar with on camera and then go get loaded with off camera (watch him here introduce Coulter as "my good frenemy"). Real Time is as clubby and worthless as the Sunday morning news panels where Washington insiders get to act all chummy with one another and pretend that their policies don’t actively harm real people.

[...]

John Oliver surpassed Maher as a commentator the instant his show debuted on HBO. That's because Oliver is, you know, actually funny. But it's also because Oliver actually CARES about issues. His show is meticulously researched and has a definitive point of view. It isn't a cocktail party. We don't NEED Real Time's brand of jocular discourse in 2019, especially when one side of that discourse is performing in bad faith, and when Maher doesn't care because he just likes flaunting his phone contacts to a mass audience. He's not a comedian anymore. He's a pundit, and a useless one at that. And his show has done far more to legitimize shitty people than it has to subvert them.

Personally I like it when people have guests on their shows whom I vehemently disagree with. Bill Maher does it sometimes as does Joe Rogan. I’ve seen both get skewered here for it, and that’s fine.

I probably broadly agree on the major issues with most regular posters here - yet I also enjoy when shows I generally like occasionally have someone controversial on them and I don’t expect that those hosts spend the whole time denouncing that guest for their wrongness.

I don’t understand why fellow liberals can’t trust people like myself to hear those controversial viewpoints and not be swayed by them. I am an adult equipped with an education and critical thinking skills and I would prefer to hear what is out there and make my own decision about it. I want the hosts of shows that I like to assume that I am an adult with the sense to make up my own mind and not actively try and filter out the bad in the world for my benefit. If people don’t like Maher or Rogan, don’t watch/listen. I do not share the desire to have all content I consume come with the ideological equivalent of gutter guards at the bowling alley.

maybe a certain degree of ‘to each their own’ is in order here?

21 minutes ago, S John said:

Personally I like it when people have guests on their shows whom I vehemently disagree with. Bill Maher does it sometimes as does Joe Rogan. I’ve seen both get skewered here for it, and that’s fine.

I probably broadly agree on the major issues with most regular posters here - yet I also enjoy when shows I generally like occasionally have someone controversial on them and I don’t expect that those hosts spend the whole time denouncing that guest for their wrongness.

I don’t understand why fellow liberals can’t trust people like myself to hear those controversial viewpoints and not be swayed by them. I am an adult equipped with an education and critical thinking skills and I would prefer to hear what is out there and make my own decision about it. I want the hosts of shows that I like to assume that I am an adult with the sense to make up my own mind and not actively try and filter out the bad in the world for my benefit. If people don’t like Maher or Rogan, don’t watch/listen. I do not share the desire to have all content I consume come with the ideological equivalent of gutter guards at the bowling alley.

maybe a certain degree of ‘to each their own’ is in order here?

I wasn't talking about guests with radically different viewpoints. I was talking about nutcases arguing in bad faith, firmly rooted in a made-up world instead of reality, spewing lies and hatred. There's a difference. But yeah, I guess I should have trusted some of those viewers more, then they wouldn't have felt so oppressed as to pay a visit to the Capitol.

PS: Sorry, keyboard is very wonky.  I almst posted half of this in all caps...

PPS: Nice touch, "to each their own". https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedem_das_Seine#/media/Datei:Buchenwald_Schild_Jedem_das_Seine.jpg

I think its really really clear that about 20-30% of the general population cannot be trusted to discern the bad in the world, @S John. So you might be able to - and then your buddy genuinely believes that there is a satanic pedophile ring being run that only Trump can fix. 

I mean seriously - how can anyone at this point think that people as a rule are good at being able to reasonably tell the difference between fact and silliness given the last 4 years? That idea was already on thin ice - now it should be abundantly clear that it isnt the case. And as someone who supposedly bases their viewpoints on facts, it seems odd to willfully ignore that in favor of the thing you want to believe. 

58 minutes ago, Week said:

After the combination of twitter bans, commentary of pedophilia, and association with Richard Spencer (who was, himself, deplatformed).

The real nail in the coffin was probably losing that sweet, sweet Mercer money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Yiannopoulos

Are you equating the Drunken Peasants podcast to Bill Maher? I'm confused.

I recall it all crashing in on him after he went on Real Time. 

I haven't watched one single snap of football (other than highlights, I suppose) in more than a year. I was never really a fan of Brady -- respect his talent and drive but dude has always been a herb. The Trump-adjacency in 2016 and his snake oil salesman of a trainer are pretty loathsome.

:crying:

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, that's really incorrect. He booked more including his tour around the US after that. Maher had nothing to do with him doing badly and in fact contributed to his popularity. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It got better until Milo got caught talking about how cool it’d be to diddle 13 year olds.

You know what I hate the man but I overall if I was watching Maher’s show when he was I wouldn’t know him for the true monster he was.

Archived