U.S. Politics: Leaving On A Jet Plane

Martell Spy

One other note, Marco Rubio has cancelled the planned meeting of the Senate Intelligence Committee regarding the nomination of Avril Haines. The practical effect is to delay her confirmation a few more days than it would likely have taken. I got to believe the Republicans are going to take every advantage their Majority status give them until they a forced to give up their power. Oh, and Rubio is an ass.

SCOTUS has been doing some real fucked things to let the Trump administration carry out as many federal death row executions as possible while they still can. There's been more in the past 6 months than in the past 60 years before then. But tonight's ruling by them was the worst of all

SCOTUS summarily ruled against the defendant's constitutional claims (he had been found guilty of the crimes accused long ago) and issued a state of execution without any hearing and providing no decision or reasoning. The Democratic appointees are *pissed*, but too bad there's only 3 of them.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

SCOTUS has been doing some real fucked things to let the Trump administration carry out as many federal death row executions as possible while they still can. There's been more in the past 6 months than in the past 60 years before then. But tonight's ruling by them was the worst of all

SCOTUS summarily ruled against the defendant's constitutional claims (he had been found guilty of the crimes accused long ago) and issued a state of execution without any hearing and providing no decision or reasoning. The Democratic appointees are *pissed*, but too bad there's only 3 of them.

Literal fucking demons.

Can someone please explain to me what (not why) the phrase “the US is not a democracy it’s a republic” is supposed to mean to Americans these days?

I can’t count the number of times when I’ve seen someone lament the damage done to democracy in the US only to have that response thrown in the person’s face.

I hope people in Texas are filing complaints against that realtor who is using the insurrection to get free publicity and advertising for herself. I want to see her lose her license. Come on cancel culture do something good.

59 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Can someone please explain to me why the phrase “the US is not a democracy it’s a republic” is supposed to mean to Americans these days?

I can’t count the number of times when I’ve seen someone lament the damage done to democracy in the US only to have that response thrown in the person’s face.

I've only ever seen it used as a defence of some undemocratic characteristic of the USA's political machinery.

"The electoral college is undemocratic."

"We're a republic, not a democracy," with the implication being that there's nothing wrong with characteristic x being undemocratic.

It's such a weird phrase as well since "democracy" and "republic" are describing different aspects of a country's political set-up. It's like saying "my car isn't fast, it's purple."

32 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

I've only ever seen it used as a defence of some undemocratic characteristic of the USA's political machinery.

"The electoral college is undemocratic."

"We're a republic, not a democracy," with the implication being that there's nothing wrong with characteristic x being undemocratic.

It's such a weird phrase aswell since "democracy" and "republic" are describing different aspects of a country's political set-up. It's like saying "my car isn't fast, it's purple."

The person making the statement usually follows up with the example of the Athenian democracy and how our system is different...it’s the inevitable next step.

15 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

But purple is half red!

Sooooo close to a new president. This duck period has been really lame. 

Hum?

This lame duck period, you had plenty of Rudy (from his highlight reel) like the four season landscaping press conference, Lin Wood, and a whole lot of other crazy. You had a bunch of hillbillies attempting a coup on your capitol, including the errection of a gallow, now you have a bunch of execution. All of that was in the lame duck period.

Not sure, what else you want, but that was plenty of action.

9 hours ago, Fez said:

Friendly reminder that when someone says they're pro-life, you need to ask them how they feel about the death penalty to find their hypocrisy. 

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Can someone please explain to me what (not why) the phrase “the US is not a democracy it’s a republic” is supposed to mean to Americans these days?

Idiots who don’t understand what “Republic” means.  It’s merely a State that has no titular monarch.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Idiots who don’t understand what “Republic” means.  It’s merely a State that has no titular monarch.

But in the same line of thought, we've been a Republic for over 200 years. We've only been a Democracy since the mid-1960's. 

A republic doesn't necessary need to be a democracy, too. Having no king suffices. It can also be a dictatorship or a system where e.g. a caste of noblemen rule.

Or in the case of the US, a plutocracy (= rule of the rich....) ;)

29 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They can't seem to decide if we are without a monarch, since many of them are now calling Trump  the God Emperor of the United States or GEOUTUS. 

42 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah, more like white racial anxiety has been hooked up to a power cord. 

“I’m not racist! I have a black friend!

But you have to admit.......”

Edit: Racists are indeed terrible. But hey, at least they got their judges and tax breaks! 

Archived